Old 12-11-2002, 09:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Thumbs down And the saga continues

Brought the trailer home from storage this morning to run the furnace and AC more in an effort to further dry it out. I decided it would be a good time to leak test the new city water inlet. Good thing I did!

I hooked up the hose with a regulator and just barely cracked the tap at the house. Good thing! I checked immediately with a flashlight and found a two to three drop per second leak from the city water inlet.

The nylon nut is visibly crossthreaded on the city water inlet. I think this is a result of the very short E-Pex tube coming up from a Tee about 2" below being badly misaligned. Instead of the bronze angle coming directly into the city water inlet, it is twisted off to the side. With the stiffness of the E-Pex tubing and cold weather, it is most likely more twist than the nylon wingnut can withstand. In the photo, you can see the crossthreading and the misalignment of the bronze fitting.

The only safe fix I can see is to turn the Tee below away from the city water inlet and then use two 90-degree angles and a straight fitting into the city water inlet. That would eliminate the twist. Since they must recrimp to fix the problem, it might as well be fixed the right way.

I guess it is back to the dealer, but not today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after_fix.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1005  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unhappy

Oh Wow....John we need an intervention here. Me thinks your trailer is demon possessed.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I guess I am not the only one, check out my thoughts in another of Johns threads on his door woes, I think it is "distorted door frame". (He didn't have too much to say about it, or maybe he has been too busy)

Maybe they built his unit on a Monday?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

it's a shame!

John,

I hope you document both problems and forward it to A/S Corp. In my opinion, these types of problems should of been caught by their quality control. By you letting them know this, you may help out a future Int'l buyer.

Because of this information, A/S may have to start a recall to prevent water damage to other Int'l. I'm should your not alone on this issue.

John
Old 12-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Already done

I have emailed a copy of everything that I have posted to Jim Parrett at Airstream with photos. Jim has been very helpful to me in the past. I'm sure they are listening up there in Ohio.

I told Jim that this is just a failure waiting to happen on all Internationals. If the Tee below the water intake is installed even 1/2" off to either side, there will be a torque applied to the nylon nut because the bronze elbow is being pulled off to the side. Nylon will creep under that kind of pressure. The approximately 1 1/2" of E-Pex between the Tee and elbow is too stiff to conform, especially in cold weather when E-Pex really gets stiff. My fix would be two bronze elbows and about a foot of E-Pex for a 100% sure, stress-free, connection.

Even worse would be the same failure in a CCD model where it is way more difficult to gain access under the bathroom to repair the problem or dry it out. It is bad enough to work on it or dry it out in the AS model.

I'm still getting water coming out from under the bathroom and rewetting the adjacent carpet. What seemed very dry yesterday morning is wet again. Right now, I have 2 ceramic heaters, a heat lamp, the furnace, a Fantastic Fan, the stove vent fan, and an electric leaf blower going full blast. Sooner or later, the supply of water under there just has to give out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-11-2002, 01:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Eureka!

I just came up with the solution to drying things out under the bathroom. I have my electric leaf blower laying on its side on the floor with the nozzle stuck in an opening where the water lines go under the bathroom. A 1600 watt ceramic heater is sitting right against the intake of the blower.

It's working just like a hand dryer in a restroom ... there is a blast of hot air that made a noticeable difference under there within the first 10 minutes. There is so much airflow that nothing is getting too hot.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-11-2002, 03:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Smile Foiled by the cat

I now have the furnace and AC both running and there is a steady drip-drip from the AC drain as things dry out.

I stuck a plastic dish under the drain so I could see how much water was being wrung out. I came back about a half-hour later to find the cat drinking out of the dish. So I don't know how much was in there. There was about 1/2 cup left after I shooed the cat away.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-11-2002, 03:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

John,

You got me thinking about getting more water out from the bathroom. You stated that it was dry yesterday morning, but wet today. Was it wet prior to your leak test? My thinking is (and I hope I'm wrong) that when you turned on the city water to check for leaks, that the pressure allowed water to flow from another leak within the bathroom plumbing.
Again I hope I'm wrong, but wanted to throw it out to you.
John
Old 12-11-2002, 03:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
It was wet before that

It was wet again when I checked it yesterday afternoon late. It was even wetter when I picked it up at the storage yard this morning. It is water from under the bathroom that is migrating out where I can feel it.

I suspect that this will continue for some time until all the moisture is out of there; hopefully without creating mold.

Hopefully, the hot air I was pumping under there will help the situation.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-13-2002, 12:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Finally

I tookit back to storage this morning after two days at home running the furnace and AC. I can no longer feel any moisture anywhere.

Fortunately, there is no smell of mold or any indication of a mold problem.

We expect about 4 days of low humidity and no rain. There is a lot of wind and not a cloud in the sky today. I left it with the vents open in the hopes of getting it good and dry. There should be no rain worries before Tuesday.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
John,
I've been away from the boad for over 2 weeks but your first post was one of the first one's I read when signing back on. I followed each post of the thread and I feel for you. I also experienced a leak right after buying my '77 and am sure it was from the cold weather I ran into in May while pulling the unit back from AZ. I left around 6 p.m. and ran through a few snow flurries around the AZ./New Mexico border. I stopped on the far side of New Mexico at a rest stop and woke up 7 hrs. later to 30 degrees outside and 40 something inside the trailer. Glad I have an excellent sleeping bag. I think this was when water froze in an elbow coming off my water hose reel. I had to drill out the rivets for the roadside wardrobe closet and remove the plastic wheelwell cover to get to the line running from the reel. On the repair, I replaced the gray line with the white stuff and eliminated an elbow by making a slight bend of the new hose. I also elevated the elbow area where water had been trapped so that it would flow out of that area. Of course, I use antifreeze early in the season to be on the safe side.

Before making the repair, the water was gushing out the water/electrical reel storage area and some water went under the carpeting in the hall area of the trailer. I used towels to blot up as much of the water I could and it dried on its own with no mold problem. Hope you are lucky with that also.

I was in Corpus Christi during Thanksgiving and Beeville for a deer and hog hunt the weekend right after. Weather was cold when I got there but warmed up to around 70 during my hunt.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Towels, etc.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

First thing I did was to use every towel and washcloth I had in the trailer. They were sopping wet and took two hours in the dryer to get them dry enough to take home. They were just a start in getting the rug dry, though. The wet vac I borrowed did a pretty good job. Trouble was the area under the bathroom that notning can reach. Water kept seeping out from under there until yesterday.

My next task is to get the dealer to "fix" it again. First try actually made it worse. What I have to convince them of is that they can't just replace the part or it will fail again. The tubing has to be rerouted so that there is no twist on the fitting.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-13-2002, 04:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've had someone tell me before regarding a 4X4 vehicle, "Well, the factory wouldn't have done it that way if it wasn't right to begin with!" I hate that kind of stuff. Maybe you will be able to convince them there is a better way and if not to put it in writing they will take care of it again if it fails a second time.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Thumbs up Replumbed

I picked up the trailer at the dealer this afternoon.

They replumbed the connection to the city water inlet with a loop of tubing so that there is no side pressure on the inlet. They then pressure tested it all afternoon without a drop of leakage. It looks like a nice job of plumbing.

I'm a lot happier with no side stress on the connection to the city water. I suspect that I'll be a little paranoid about city water for quite a while after this.

Everything is nice and dry with no odor of mold, thanks to the cool weather.

WBCCI #9632