Old 12-09-2002, 08:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Progress

I had unscrewed the rear dinette seat and moved it out of the way last night and left the two 250 watt heat lamps hung on 2x4s about 24" above the carpet all night. I can kneel on the carpet now without getting a damp knee from the pad underneath. Those lights really seem to draw out the moisture.

I have the AC and the furnace both running together at the moment to try to get the hummidity down in the trailer.

With rhe rear dinette seat out of the way, I was able to reach in below the bathroom and remove quite a bit of the plastic over the carpet. It's still pretty wet under there and damp along the bathroom wall outside the bathroom for about 2".

The dealer should be open now, so I'll give them a call and see what they want me to do.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:13 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Flood, Is it a good idea too.....

Run the air conditioner in cold weather as suggested to dry out the trailer??? If the water is shut off at the site and the water heater was running, wouldn't the heater be locked in between two stops?? That is, would pressure build up in the boiler with no place to relieve it?? Tom

Old 12-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Just got back ...

from the dealer with a new city water inlet.

The consensus was that I'm doing everything to dry it that they would do, so it's back in my driveway with the heat lamps going. Running the furnace and AC together this morning really dried things out. I'll do that again later today, but I have an eye appointment and I want to be here in case a breaker pops.

I'm still worried about the wet under the bathroom. I cut the plastic away that I could reach. Soon as I come back from an eye appointment, I'm going to stick the wand of my electric leaf blower in there and turn it on to low speed for a couple of hours. That should get some air moving under there.

I think by tomorrow I can take it back to storage without too many worries.

I did get a couple of minor items taken care of while I was there. One of my, what I thought was minor, other complaints turned out to be a big deal. I'll post about that when I get back later this afternoon.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-10-2002, 03:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Progress report

I took the A/S back to storage early this morning before the neighbors get in an uproar (covenants). Things seemed to be pretty dry except under the bathroom and rear dinette seat. That's where the leak was.

I visited the storage yard this afternoon and ran the furnace for quite a while. A lot of moisture had seeped out from under the bathroom into the nearby carpet. I reached in under the bathroom with a long scissors and cut a lot more plastic away.

Tomorrow is to be without rain, so I'll bring the A/S home first thing in the morning and spend the day working on drying it out more. I think I'll rig a 4" dryer hose to channel furnace air in under the bathroom where it is most wet.

I'll also test the dealer "fix"under pressure while it's here.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-10-2002, 05:45 PM   #19
hex

Hey John, must be a tough covenant. Can I presume your dealer is in Buda? or is it the San Antonio shop? When you find time , would like to hear all you care to tell about either. Maybe you'd care to place those thoughts (if forthcoming) over at the A/S Dealer thread.

Anyway to the subject at hand here.When you say under your bathroom, are you meaning in the "basement" under floor. Wet insulation? Not good!
or do you mean under the tub or the floor covering in bathroom?
what exactly is it you can not reach? I am surprised at carpet in the bathroom anyway if that is what is there. Seems it would always be awater catcher. But surely warm exiting bath. Do you store Sabre D inside or out?

BTW while I am thinkin' about it, what is the story behind the nick Pahaska?
For some reason I see it and think Pashaka.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Talking Well ...

Pahaska is Sioux for "White Crane". That was the name of my 25' sailboat about 22 years ago. I just kept on using it on the web by force of habit.

Sabre-D is stored outside about 10 miles from home.

A/S carpets the entire International floor, stem to stern, covers it with clear plastic, and then places all the furniture, walls, etc. on top. Consequently, there is carpet under the shower pan which is raised about 3" off the plywood floor. There is also plastic-covered carpet under all cabinets and even the outside storage. I can get very limited access to the area under the shower pan (see photo).

There is no aluninum belly pan on the International.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinkopening.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	998  
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-10-2002, 06:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Isn't your trailer new? How far are you from the dealer? My wife promised me 30 years ago that I never had to do plumbing....experienced some of my work.

Isn't a big problem like that covered under Airstream's warranty? This is making me nervous.

Kistler
Old 12-10-2002, 06:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Covenants

Our covenants in one place say that I can not "bring" a RV, prefab building, etc. onto the property. Another section requires an RV to be on the property only if housed in a building with the same materials as the house. Another place, it says that cars, etc. cannot be worked on unless inside.

The Property Owner's Association (I'm a past Secretyary) has been pretty easy about folks relatives staying in a RV for a few days or me bringing the A/S home the day before a trip to pack, etc.

However, the POA just obtained a court order and carted away an expensive prefab building for a neighbor 2 doors down. The POA also forced another guy to replace a shoddy fence with an approved fence that caused a few thousand. They are both mad and out to get anyone else that they think is breaking a covenant.

I don't want to precipitate a crisis by having the big silver thing here more than I absolutely have to. Until this blows over, I don't want to do anything that would affect my ability to bring the A/S home temporarily when I need to.

And yes, I bought from Camper Clinic in Buda. So far, they have treated me well.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-10-2002, 06:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
See, you should have put it on MasterCard...you could take it back.

Kistler
Old 12-10-2002, 06:50 PM   #24
hex

Lightbulb

Right, I was aware (from reading your posts elsewhere) that there was no bellyskin. I did think there was a black underboard a bit higher up which would contain the insulation between itself and the floor. That insulation area is what I meant by "basement". Now this thought brings to mind that roadsplash could find its way into the insulation. Or for all I know this model has the sandwich floor that someone mentioned on certain Argosys? That'll give me something else to look at next time I stop at a dealership and feel like lying down.

The access hole under the dinette seat in your picture looks as if factory put it there. Thoughtful of them regarding it's size.
Why couldn't it be elongated horizontally toward left as you face it,(hmmm how would that be stated on a ship"amidship","toward the beam")
A faceplate could easily be placed back over it and you could triple your access perhaps. Course I, not having a floor plan don't know whats behind that panel. Might even be a possible storage locker for the secret strongbox where you keep that unholy covenant and your true thoughts about it.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Talking Access

hex

Yes, the factory put that opening in the seat back. It is ordinarily covered by a fabric-covered piece of 1/8" plywood that fills the entire seat back. The opening is really intended to provide access to the connections on the bathroom faucet that is directly behind.

I currently have the dinette seat unscrewed from the floor to better dry the carpet underneath. The access hole in the wall behind the seat back is actually about half again as wide as the opening in the the dinette seat. With the seat removed, I can actually reach in there and simultaneously watch what I am doing.

Maybe tomorrow I can take a picture with the seat removed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Assummed~

John,

I've read about the current, as well as, past problems with your new 2k3. I must admit, you got my attention when:

Quote:
There is no aluninum belly pan on the International.
I had never heard of this little tibit till just this evening.

Did you know that was the case before you bought your A/S?
If so, how was it they eased your mind about there not being an aluminum belly pan underneath?
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
belly pan

They didn't have to "ease my mind". I have never owned a trailer with a belly pan and I have very mixed feelings about whether one is a good thing or a bad thing. It is certainly not high on my list of things a trailer should have. I did look under the trailer before buying it.

The trailer is quite snug... one 1600 watt ceramic heater keeps it snug at the freezing mark. The under-floor tanks are styrofoam insulated. I don't have any intention of using the trailer at temperatures substantially below freezing.

Frankly, after the flood, I'm glad there isn't wet insulation under there that I would have to worry about.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-11-2002, 12:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Reply

John,

I agree.

ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit