Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Northwest , Missouri
We have a 21' trailer with a 125 pound Labrador. Do I dare remind you of the dreaded Canine Flatulence?

OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
We have a 21' trailer with a 125 pound Labrador. Do I dare remind you of the dreaded Canine Flatulence?
I think that would call for the 34' Panamerica with the 15' separate doggie sleeping quarters in the rear.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While overseas in October 2012, I got a burr under the saddle to get an Airstream. Given my tow vehicle limitations, I initially ordered a 19' Bambi unit sight unseen by just looking at the downloaded factory sales brochure. I was sure I wanted separate rooms for the shower and toilet, so the 16' model was crossed off the list.

Then enlightenment occurred by finding this forum and reading about towing large trailers with small vehicles. Based upon no knowledge or visual inspection, I decided upon a 25FB because it was the smallest wide body model, folks liked the front bedroom and was not too heavy. The drawing in the literature showed a nice walk around space on either side of the bed.

The reality is that side of the bed net to the hitch has about a five inch wide floor that my shoe barely fits in lined up with the strip. Making the bed was a true challenge for me. The next discovery was the overhead cabinet that provided mind numbing greetings if I forgot it was there and tried to get out of bed in the dark for the nightly p-raid. We were both disappointed in my blundering decision.

Of course the other super mistake became apparent when I took the tow vehicle with the wife plus a few items in it along with the nearly loaded trailer with a full clean water tank to the CAT scales. The small tow vehicle was now overloaded, so that limitation was resolved by the purchase of a 3/4 ton diesel pickup (again, an overseas purchase resulting from sales and engineering documents downloaded over the internet). That solution meant we could consider a longer trailer with a floor plan we liked.

We recently did something new for us in our travel trailer experience, we walked a dealer's lot with many different trim level choices exceeding the 25 foot model we currently own. There was a beautiful 2011 Classic 34 tri-axle on the lot which would push the combination weight limits of the truck. The reality of going to a remote area on a winding road and the size limits in many Western parks eliminated that beauty from the list. My wife just called that trailer "too big" for us.

We really liked that 34' Classic's wood interior. That left us looking at the current three Classic models.

The challenge for my wife was in the kitchen for the two longer models. We could force the issue with the factory to get a gas oven (it shows in the literature and write up) and loose most of the kitchen drawers, but the microwave is standard equipment and could not be removed at the factory. That would mean custom cabinet drawer work at a dealership to try and match the rest of the kitchen after removal of the microwave. She did not care for the double glass doors on the wardrobe of the model 31 or the "open" bathroom of the model 30. Neither of the big models had a dedicated pantry space at a level for shorter people. Like the 34' Classic, the 31' Classics could be harder to maneuver off road and into some trailer parks.

Having listened to our spoken thoughts for our trailering activities, the salesman strongly suggested that while the 31' Classic models were at the long extreme, the 27FB Classic was actually a perfect match for us. He personally owned a 27FB model.

So, I went back to the dealership for another contemplation for design details in the wood of the 34 Classic. After lots of intensive website review of Classic 31 and 27 models and with the study now on the 27FB, we decided I needed to inspect an actual example of the model we will order to our specifications. I plan to fly to a dealership to get a hands on feeling before getting the my hands on a pen for a check. The cost of an airline ticket is small when compared to the costs of switching trailers. I want to get it right this time and have the decision last for a long time and be happy with the results.

Short summary based upon my experience:

Even if you plan to purchase used elsewhere, go to a large dealership and inspect many of the lengths and floor plans in person. Make a day of it. Lie on the bed, try to get off the bed with some one else on it. It it a graceful exit? Did you hit your head on cabinets? Sit in the necessary room, open the mirror, see if you actually fit in the shower, visualize where your stuff might be stored.

You will be glad you did your homework. And keep reading the forum for pearls of wisdom that get shared.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Me: Hey honey, here's a post asking if 3 people and a 180 pound dog can fit in s 16 foot Bambi!
Wife: Well sure they can get in there, but what are they going to do once they're in?

It's gonna be cozy.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
We have a 2012 16'. There are two of us and a golden retriever. It works fine, because then dog sleeps under the table. If he sleeps on the floor anywhere else, then he is either blocking the stove, the heater, or the converter. During the night, he sleeps on one of the dinette cushions. He does track in a lot of dirt, and when it rains, we go through a lot of towels.

I will say the 16' is the cutest! We get comments all the time. Just yesterday, someone walked by and said, "that is the cutest trailer I have ever seen!"
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Ennis , Montana
I have been thinking a lot about this issue after everyone's feedback.... If we are going to get something that actually fits all of us comfortably, we would get a 30 footer, which just doesn't work with our lifestyle. I think I will always wish for a 16' if we get the 19'.... so practicality aside, we will keep looking for a 16. I figure that the dog doesn't always go along, and our son will go off to college in five years... We are used to a small camper, and are always camping in tight, remote spots so we need the small size. And as Quilter said, they are the CUTEST!! Now I just have to find it, which is certainly challenging.... Although there are lots of little 2002 16' Bambi's on Craigslist for only $2,000!
aliciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I suspect those $2000 Bambis are scams. Several have been reported and 2K is way under what they would go for.
2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
We bought our 25-foot AS for our golden retriever (I'm only half-kidding!) because she would act claustrophobic in our previous 17-foot trailer, would dread coming in at night, and pant and pace. Now she's happy as a clam in her new luxurious camping home, so we're happy as clams, too. As I always say, as long as doggie is happy, everyone is happy! And your doggie might just be thrilled in a 16-foot Bambi. Good luck!

Carol, Aboard "Aggie the DreamStream"
WBCCI# 5248
Rollster is offline   Reply With Quote