Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Aluminum by any other name - tags

When we purchased our Argosy last fall, after a long search, the dealer affixed a name plate right by the front door.
Horrors - NEW holes!
We weren't crazy about being a free, rolling, advertisement. Has anyone else had this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old name web.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	4653  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
So.... We had a new plate made and replaced the old one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new name plate web.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	4654  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Great idea, Janet!

I have a decal on my Argosy from Mann's Trailers in Normal, IL. I don't know that this is the original seller of my Argosy but it's possible. Mann's is closed now, but they were a bona fide Airstream dealer. I removed the old "Good Sam" stickers from my Argosy after I bought it, but I couldn't bring myself to remove the old Mann's Trailers sticker.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Ours has a Cascade RV dealer plate riveted to the side near the entrance door. It is mounted with the orange pop rivets too. It was installed at the original owners time of purchase. We are the second "real" owners of the coach. It also had the same dealer license plate frames. I have reused the rear frame for my plate to see how many people in FL notice I have a dealer frame from Washington state??? The only problem I have with the side mounted plate is that they installed it crooked.......
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Aluminum by any other name - tags

Greetings Scott!

Quote:
I have a decal on my Argosy from Mann's Trailers in Normal, IL. I don't know that this is the original seller of my Argosy but it's possible. Mann's is closed now, but they were a bona fide Airstream dealer. I removed the old "Good Sam" stickers from my Argosy after I bought it, but I couldn't bring myself to remove the old Mann's Trailers sticker.
Mann's Trailer Sales were an active Airstream and Argosy dealer throughout the Argosy run. I was a college student at Illinois State in Normal during the time period when our Argosy Minuets were new and spent many Sunday afternoons daydreaming about the day when I could buy a new Argosy of my own while walking by the Mann's dealership. They were located along US Highway 51 almost next door to the Motel 6 on the South edge of Normal.

The dealership continued to operate until just very recently. About three years ago they had a dispersal sale for all remaining parts and dealership hardware - - the disposal auction included a wide variety of literature for both Argosy and Airstream as well as NOS parts and some other Airstream/Argosy memorabilia. I had just changed jobs at the time and had to attend a seminar on the day of the auction so was unable to attend - - I later purchased some of my Argosy and Airstream literature from a dealer in Normal who bought much of the literature that was sold.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote