Old 09-15-2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Alabama and La. or ?

Thinking about a winter break(mid Dec) in Alabama or Lousiana. Anyone have a suggestion for a spot to stay or visit- kid friendly parks especially. I would like to cruise to Fairhope, maybe onward to New Orleans, but this is all in the idea stage right now.

Also considering the other direction, and going to St Augustine, and maybe Daytona.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Cool Louisiana

I have always enjoyed Lafayette. I usually stay at the KOA (although I normally avoid KOAs). They have lots of stuff for kids to do and a small lake to fish in. A real nice park with lots of shade.

They have several cassette driving tours that you can check out. Each tour takes pretty much a full day and takes you places like plantations and the Tobasco plant

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:31 AM   #3
hex

Question Avoiding KOA's

John why do you normally avoid KOA's?

thanks,
Old 09-16-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
hex

Lightbulb Possibilities

AlanSd I suggest you might look into traveling the Natchez Trace. I believe it runs down from somewhere in Tennessee. I have only been on part of it, and not with a RV. It would not interest all but that is why I liked it.I got on at Vicksburg and exited across Old Man River at Natchez.
If Civil war history interests you Vicksburg Miss. is a possibility. It is on the Trace.
Also check on the doings in Nachatoches(sp) La. in and around December. (Steel Magnolia movie shot there). Can't remember what, but some big event happens there about then.

What and where is Fairhope?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Cool KOA avoidance

KOAs are most all overpriced and no better than unbranded parks for what I want. Typically, I am simply looking for a safe place with hookups. Pools, playgrounds, meeting rooms, etc. are of no benefit to me.

Lafayette KOA just happens to be very convenient to the highway and has lots of shade. It is right at a hard day's tow from home and near some good Cajun restaurants. It's one of the few KOAs that I actually plan to stop at.

I constantly see parks that used to be KOAs that are now independent, including the ex-KOA here in Austin.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
My wife and kids really enjoy Point Mallard near Huntsville, Alabama. There is a water park with slides and a wave pool. It isn't cheap but sure is a lot of fun.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Natchez Trace

I second the Natchez Trace suggestion. It is beautiful and there is no traffic once away from the summer vacation season. Stop at the Visitor's Center for a guide and then stop at the many historical turnoffs. You can hike in the old trace which is worn up to 10 or 12 feet deep in places. I have driven it all the way from north end to south end, but not all in the same trip.

You have to exit to gas up, but with no stops and a low speed limit, I had the best towing mileage I ever achieved.

The city of Natchez is worth a day or two to tour some of the plantation houses. The new section of Natchez State Park, a few miles north of the city, is really nice with new, paved sites and a nice lake. I love Mississippi State Parks, half price for seniors.

Another nice state park is Roosevelt State Park, on I-20 in eastern Mississippi. Heavily wooded with a nice lake.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Natchez Trace

Here's a shot of my former TrailManor from the top of an Indian mound on the Trace. There are lots of neat stops such as this and old taverns that served the boatmen that floated down the Mississippi and then walked all the way north on the Trace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view from mound.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	558  
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-16-2002, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: Alabama and La. or ?

Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
Thinking about a winter break(mid Dec) in Alabama or Lousiana. Anyone have a suggestion for a spot to stay or visit- kid friendly parks especially. I would like to cruise to Fairhope, maybe onward to New Orleans, but this is all in the idea stage right now.

Also considering the other direction, and going to St Augustine, and maybe Daytona.
If you make it to New Orleans Bayou Segnette State park is a great place to stay. Big sites nice new pads and well kept. It is on the Westbank (Bestbank) of the Mississippi. It is located in the City of Westwego. 15/20 min from French Qurater easy to get to. If you make it down here and I am in town I would love to see your motor home, I am sure we can find some good food. Bayou Segnette has a wave pool but it is shut down at that time of the year. How old are your children? I have a 8 yr. old. New Orleans has a great Aquarium and Zoo . See links below.

The only place to stay in Fairhope area is the Grand at Point Clear, I donít think they have a RV park but I have used their Marina.

Bayou Segnette State Park Info.

Aquarium of the Americas / Zoo Info

The Grand at Point Clear Info
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
I live in Livingston, AL....About 3 hours north of Fairhope....The Eastern Shore of the Mobile area is very nice!!!! I have done some nice camping at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin and Fort Pickens at Gulf Islands National Seashore in Pensacola Beach. There is a Naval Aviation Museum open year round on the Navy base and it is FREE!!! If airpalnes are of any interest this place rivals part of the Smithsonian on a small scale. From Fairhope these are about 1 and 2 hour drive respectively. As far as things to do in the other part of AL there are some very nice state parks up north, but it does tend to be much cooler up there than on the coast.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks all for the great info. We visited the museum in Pensacola when we left Mystic Springs in April after our rally there. It was a great experience, and I agree reminded us of the Smithsonian.
Fairhope is known as a very nice "artsy" area on the river, and I thought it might be worth a stop....seems like my family is interested in the Gulf Shores State Park and now we are considering maybe 3-4 nights there, and then on to either Henderson State Park, which I heard was great, and maybe the Florida Caverns State Park on the way home. This would be a week+ trip for us. Not firm, but in the works. We loved TopSail Hill State Park, but want to try another place this time.
The tennessee and south to LA trip might happen in spring time. My concern is always having a quality experience for my 2 boys 10, and 15 yrs old.( and keeping them interested and busy)
Old 09-17-2002, 04:40 PM   #12
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Gulf Shores is real nice as well...Lot's to do, and not much driving...Fairhope is about 45 minutes from the park. Dauphin Island is worth a look and a neat Ferry ride over ther is fun also....The auto-ferry runs from Fort Morgan (Western Gulf Shores) to Dauphin Island, and back. There is a large Outlet center in Foley, between Fairhope and Gulf Shores and lot's of great golf if you golf.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to daydreamer36535
Escapees at Summerdale on cty rd. 27
Maeher state park, right on mobile bay and not expensive, that's in spanish fort (ask for directions at the visitors center just before bridge to mobile)
Blakely state park just up the road from spanish fort.
Yes to gulf state park in Gulf Shores
Dauphin Island is fantastic
and on and on........
Have fun,
Joe
Old 09-20-2002, 10:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
What about the Space and Rocket Center at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville? I found it quite interesting and since you have 10 & 15 yr. boys, well.........

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote