Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2003, 05:18 AM   #41
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
To shamelessly borrow a phrase from Harley-Davidson affectionados...

"If you have to ask, you won't understand..."

I have never been one who is swayed by 'testamonials'. Do this for yourself: First, find an early to mid-'60s Airstream that is in good condition and look it over. Very closely. Examine the materials, fit, finish and engineering. See how the materials have weathered the past forty years. As a matter of fact, look at several. Look at them even if you're not particularly interested in a vintage coach. Don't worry about the cost. There are lots to choose from.

Then, go try to find ANY S.O.B. from the mid-'60s that's for sale. If you can find one, compare the condition, materials, and fit and finish. If you can find one. That there are so few left should tell you something. Most of them have fallen apart and rotted away. If you can find one, you'll find that they smell musty, and that most of them were built using panelling and 2x2s and are rotting away at the wall-floorline joints.

Next time you're near a campground, drive around and see how many SOBs in use are more than ten, fifteen, and twenty years old. You'll see a substantial mortality rate as they get older.

Now, compare whatever late model SOB to the same year Airstream in the same way. The airstream will cost more, but will still be substantially more sound, from an engineering and materials perspective.

When you think about costs is the time to look at the difference between a new or newer SOB v. an Airstream and what you're willing to spend. I bought a '94 Limited 34' trailer for $24k. I could have bought any one of several dozen NEW SOBs in any length for the same money, but none of them would have still been serviceable in ten years. None of them had real wood cabinetry, top-of-the-line appliances, or all-aluminum monocoque construction. With occasional carpet, drapes, and upholstery I expect my '94 to last as long as I want to tow and use it, and then in twenty years to return at least 40% of what I've spent on it.

I think those are pretty convincing arguments.

Good luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:11 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's a link to a previous thread that may help you understand...

What makes Airstream such a legend?

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Consider the towing... notice that SOB trailers sit high - the floor is often way above the axle. A high center of gravity = tippy. The boxy shape and extra height of SOB means more wind resistance in towing, and side winds have a stronger effect.

The flat roof on many SOB's collect water in the rain, making the inevitable roof leaks even worse.

The wood framing on many SOB's is stapled together. The interior walls are a thin particle board with wallpaper applied, stapled to the wood frame. The insulation is styrofoam, and the outside is fiberglass glued to thin particleboard, either glued or stapled to the frame. Everytime you hit a bump in the road the whole thing loosens up a little more, until it falls apart.

SOB's are disposable - like single-use cameras.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:02 AM   #44
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
what's in a name?

consider this,

everyone, even people who have never had a camper know what an airstream is.

when you say i have ______(fill in the blank) with a scamp, terry, jayco, hi/lo, coleman, sportscoach, trailmanor, etc. etc. etc.

no one in general knows exactly what you are talking about unless they own one of the above. all they think, is big white box.

now, if any of you have owned the above and enjoyed them please don't flame me!! i'm just trying to point out that airstream is an icon. that's all!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

I think the bottom line is....

Reputation ! Everyone knows the reputation AS has for longevity, quality, duability and towing ease. You don't gather a following like this even after 70 years unless you build a quality product. Even with the one short-lived blemish in the early 70's with rear end sag an AS still retains a loyal following among owners, want-to-be owners past owners and just pure love'ems.

Now there are sure to be some issues with propietary items like door latches and the such but those are small inconveniences for the benefit of owning such a solid product.

The key to it all is how well they stand the test of time. You might not have yours for thirty years but the fact is a TT that can last that long will have less major problems than one that has planned obsolecence built in.
74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:39 AM   #46
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Comparison

Soon after I bought my trailer, a brand new lightweight SOB box with a slide parked beside me at the storage lot (uncovered, regrettably). It is used very little, less than half of what I use mine. Although it is much larger than my Airstream, his empty weight is about the same as mine. His gross weight is much higher than mine.

First thing I noticed on his data plate and on the net site for the brand was that his tires and axle capacity were overloaded at gross weight. I experienced that in the past and it is the first thing I look at on a strange trailer.

Over the past 10 months or so, I have watched the signs of deterioration appear on the SOB. The slide doesn't seal well to the traier side and already appears to be sagging at one end. All of the silicone caulking has collected dirt. The fiberglass is already discoloring.

OTOH, my Airstream looks like it did when I bought it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
A/S vs SOB

I too have been there, done that with SOB's as well. I had always wanted an Airstream since my youth. I had a little Prowler for years, it was small, dark, had to take a number to walk from one end to the other if someone else was in it with you. It was definately showing its age, could not keep the roof sealed to save my life.

After looking at new SOB's and finding some that were really nice I soon realized that it was the ole' cigar tubes I really wanted. I to that date had never been inside of an Airstream. They are not real plentiful in this part of the country. But if you want a SOB 5th wheel or a motorhome they are in every third driveway!

I began gathering information on Airstreams and began searching. I searched for over a year, met some wonderful people, I always seemed to be a day late on the perfect Airstream. The very first trailer I was interested in was in Tacoma Washington, not an afternoon drive from central Oregon! It was sold to the very first person who looked at it who flew in from Southern California, darn airplanes.

The folks that sold that Tacoma trailer, who wee going to buy a larger A/S, deal fell through. We began sharing information on available A/S's that we would find. They were looking for large, and I was looking in the mid 20' range.

Last spring I found a 25' A/S on a lot in Seattle via a web search. The Tacoma couple said they would go look at it with me and they had a surprize for me when I came to stay the night at their home. Well, the 25' sold before my departure, I went to see the couple anyway. The surprize was that they were going to deliver their old 27' trailer in the late spring to California and the new owner had concented to letting me stay in it while I was in Tacoma. Airstreamers are different people - VERY DIFFERENT.

A couple of months later the same Tacoma couple called and said they found a Trade Wind which wound up buying. Surprizingly they had located the same trailer for the prior owners 13 years ago. It was older, and two feet shorter than I was looking for, and had sat for 10 years. I stepped inside and I knew it was my new trailer.

Why and A/S instead of an SOB? My new trailer is about 1800 pounds heavier than my old SOB. The A/S is 9 years older that my old Prowler. The A/S pulls down the road much easier and it will still be here in another 30 years. I doubt that the ole Prowler will be here another 10.

You either love em or hate em. I love em.

Les Brush
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:59 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream versus SOB...

Another fact that tends to favor Airstream products is how many competitive makes have numerous trailers that have been passed down as family heirlooms? I am familiar with at least four cases where this circumstance has played out. Not only that, how many competitors have numerous coaches that have been in the hands of the original purchasers for decades? I know of two 1964 coaches that are still in the hands of the original purchasers as well as two 1973 coaches and three 1974 coaches. Granted, there are obviously examples among some of the other manufacturers (especially the upscale coaches competing for the Airstream market segment).

I know that my first new coach, a 1980 Nomad 19' light series was self-destructing when I sold it in 1984. The last that I heard, the second owners were about ready to junk it in 1990.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:05 PM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tell me about it!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...rstream+vs+SOB