Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #1

Airstream Westfalia

My husband and I are looking into a new RV. We're thinking about a Class B and keep hearing about the Airstream Westfalia - does anyone have any feedback/reviews?
Annie221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Saw one at the Homecoming

It is a really neat package, and I say that as one who is generally unimpressed by motorhomes in general and class B's in particular. For certain kinds of travel, I could definitely live with one.

There was one on display and I must have returned to it at least ten times. Every time, I would discover something new and neat about it. The inventiveness is impressive.

Refrigerator is small and top loading; no door to need space to swing. Everything folds away and it is roomier inside than it looks. Wet bath is pretty small, but functional and even has clothes drying lines that pull across the space from a little cabinet. Bed springs are plastic, but really make the foam pads feel comfortable (yes, I climbed up and tried it). Small stove and sink. Large hanging locker/pantry/storage. It would sleep four, but be crowded with four in the daytime. It would be ideal for two persons.

Looks top heavy, but the guy who drove it in said that it wasn't. Top part has no real weight to make it top heavy.

I'm far more impressed with the Westfalia than with the other B-van (Interstate Sprinter) they currently sell.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Recent post about the Interstate that is built on simular platform.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12173
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have to second Pashaka's thoughts. The fit and finish is superb and the design is inspired IMHO.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
It's a very impressive package. The Sprinter Van has been VERY successful around the world and Westfalia did it's usual excellent job outfitting it BUT....at $81,000 a pop, I don't envision seeing a lot of them on the road.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Not so expensive-

When you consider that the economy on the base van is about 27 hwy, the motor is a 5 cyl Mercedes that lasts well over 500K, and the quality that Westfalia presents is MUCH better than the average US presswood and particle board junk.

I suppose if someone weighs these points and finances it over a long stretch it can really pay off- the Fords are usually all 460's the Chevy 6.5's that were churned out are only getting 150K miles before throwing it away, and nothing comes close in economy.

We need to wake up and start producing better quality and longevity-
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
When you consider ... the quality that Westfalia presents is MUCH better than the average US presswood and particle board junk.
The old Westfalia Volkswagen interiors were built of laminated particle board. Maybe they are using better materials now; I've note seen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
the Chevy 6.5's that were churned out are only getting 150K miles before throwing it away, and nothing comes close in economy.
Mine was still running strong when I traded it at 190,000 mi. Comparing apples and apples, in service vans it is fairly common for the 6.5 GM to run 300,000 miles, but the 2.5 will go more if well maintained, although 500,000 miles is probably stretching a bit. Few private owners will put in that much service work for that long to ever see anything like that kind of longevity.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Fwiw

There are a lot of pluses to that little 5 cyl diesel, but not if you are trading every 2-3 years. You will never get your money's worth, but I might when I buy it used I have a tendency to keep my vehicles a loooooooooooong time. Right now I have a 97 F150 4.2 V-6 with 246,000 miles on it and the motor has not been gone into. Maintainence costs are starting to build, but it is still cheaper than a new truck

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote