Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joossens
Greetings Fellow ASers!

This will be my first post to this forum. A couple months back I dragged home a 1991 60th Anniversary Limited from Cleburne, TX and have lived happily ever after.
So.... YOU bought it, eh?

I took a look at it more than once... I think you got a great trailer - hope it serves you well!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Those winters in Montana are looong. Sitting out under a awning with a painted beach might help against cabin fever?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #23
Rivet Extraordinaire

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
So.... YOU bought it, eh?

I took a look at it more than once... I think you got a great trailer - hope it serves you well!
So YOU know the one I'm talking about!!! I can't help but grin ear to ear when I look at it. When I first looked at it I saw the brown & maroon stripes and didn't like it. I was looking for the pretty blue stripe. Fortunately I tooka look the interior pics. They had REALLY good pics. Later that night when I was drifting off to sleep I began to realize the stripes went with the interior and made better sense than the blue stripes for that particular model. I remember getting back on the computer late that night and looking it over again more closely. I began to get that kinda shaky feeling like THIS IS THE ONE! I JUST GOTTA HAVE IT!!! OOOOOH I HOPE IT'S STILL AVAILABLE!!!!! First thing the next day I had a deposit on it. While I was working on the financing I went to their website and discovered they had a hole page of info on it with tons of pics. But it wasn't until after I drove it home that I really began to realize what I had. It's a special trailer--truly better than advertised. I'm wondering how long it was up for sale before I got to it. When I decided I wanted it I jumped because I'd missed another good one already. You'll be seeing more posts from me about this rig because there are alot of things about it I haven't figured out yet like the solar panel and there's a minor but important part missing. Looking forward to being a part of the community. So far I'm endlessly impressed with EVERYTHING about Airstream. By the way it's a repo from the second owner. Not sure what the story is there. My heart goes out to the past owner. Doubt they parted with it willingly or with dry eyes. I plan to have a section devoted to it in my last testament! Anyway sorry to take the thread off track.

Maurice was mentioning about ventilation issues. I read through that article on the RV Chalet. For me the RV Chalet would be a tad over the top. But they mentioned matching the vent holes on the camper to the enclosure. I'd be interested to learn more about how exactly that is done. As they say when there's a will theres' a way. These are all important issues to consider so keep em coming. And hey I have to say I like the beach scene on the wall idea! How about a sun lamp to go with the beach chair? While I'm at it I could have a truckload or two of beach sand laid down. It's startin to sound like home already!
joossens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Another thing to research is the septic tank system. Most systems are designed to receive a relatively few gallons at a time at a low rate. To get a good dump, you're looking at waiting until your black tank is at least 2/3 full before dumping it, so it comes out with enough force to take the solids with it.

That force isn't a good thing going into a septic tank which depends upon stratification to keep the water going into the leach field clear of scum (stuff that floats) or solids (stuff that sinks).

I'd think you'd want a very large volume tank to keep incoming to a relatively low percentage. Perhaps there are other things in the design that could reduce the problem of large volume at a high flow rate.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
joosens -

I know what you're saying! You should see all the fun I had with Photoshop with the images from the website. Still got 'em if you want to see!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #26
Rivet Extraordinaire

Yes I'd love to see the pics you have.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #27
Rivet Extraordinaire

I've been reading through the winter living thread maxandgeogia recommended. Whew! Between the issues raised on this thread and that one I'm somewhat intimidated. I've lived in FLA all my life and only spent one winter in NJ. Never had any idea how much thought has to go into making it through a winter. In FLA you just worry about keeping cool as cheaply as possible. I like things to be smooth and simple. I'm going to absorb all this info and see if I can't come up with a solution that is simple, low-maintenance and hopefully inexpensive. Keep the logistical complexities coming!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I have a dehumidifier waiting to be put into our AS, as mold is a problem and keeping humidity below 50% or lower is the ticket. It will have a permanent hole in the side of the trailer (the rear toilet door) but also has a holding tank so I can use the water for other needs (not drinking, unless well filtered) if boondocking. This would help with the window condensation problem when electricity is available. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Silver Suz.........

You indicate you are preparing to hard-mount a dehumidifier in your Airstream? Our trailer is kept in south-central Georgia where, as you can imagine, it gets pretty warm. We experienced a mold build-up the first summer we had it. The only way we could avoid it was to leave the airconditioner on full time, which seemed like a waste of electricity. We bought a dehumidifier from Loew's that we leave turned on in the warmer months, and it has eliminated the mold problem. As the dehumifier is sort of cumbersome and noisy, we leave it behind when we travel. Is there a unit specifically manufactured for Airstream, or did you have one custom-fitted for your trailer?

Joe
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:41 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

I will use the humidifier that we presently have in the kitchen which is about 1' x 1' x 2 1/2'. Since the trailer is presently stripped out, we will build it into where the closet was, next to the rear bathroom and use the small side/rear door opening. We are also putting in an extra ( very energy efficient) air conditioner and venting it out there, too. We'll have upper storage shelves above. These will be contained and are approximately behind the wheel wells. Both weigh about 120 lbs together. Living in humid TX, I have often noted that if I can drop the humidity, I don't have to run the heat pump so much, so it's a monetary savings as well as feeling more comfortable. Heating is rarely a problem around here and I like cool weather and bundling up. We do have a heater to use if it gets really too cold. But the key to keeping mold down is very low humidity, and a dry inside. Hope it works for you, mold is nasty stuff. Another way (at least for the house, is to run the air past a uv light, that kills mold spores.) suz
Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. No, our units are regular portable non Airstream sanctioned items! Both are on wheels and can be moved from house to trailer where most needed, but locked in place when moving. However both need tubes or vents to get rid of the humidity. So we plan for that and the outlets, and brackets to keep them in place. Good luck, suz
Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Oh, sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. No, our units are regular portable non Airstream sanctioned items! Both are on wheels and can be moved from house to trailer where most needed, but locked in place when moving. However both need tubes or vents to get rid of the humidity. So we plan for that and the outlets, and brackets to keep them in place. Good luck, suz
Suzie,

I use a dehumidifier in my home with a fan next to it to help take the load off the A/C in the house (4 1/2 ton outside unit). I don't have any figures, but just feel that when inside humidity goes up, it makes sense to run dehumidifier for a while to help - esp right before trying to reduce house temps by several degrees like after returning home.

I have used it in the A/S but it is too heavy to move back and forth.

BTW, what brand / size unit are you using. Mine is an older Kenmore unit that stands about 2 feet high and a foot wide.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnnRe8
Reallizing that this forum is devoted to A/S trailers, none the less I will ask the following question? Which make of travel trailer (other than an A/S) would you choose for full time living in a northern climate? From the posts that I have read it seems to me that those of you who have tried living through a cold (0 degree and lower) winter have not been very comfortable in your A/S trailers. This is understandable, since the trailer is not designed for this type of use, and living in it full time may be pushing the limits. Is there a cold weather package that can be ordered from A/S when purchasing a unit? From my research into this matter I understand that the Arctic Fox trailer is constructed for the cold, having R-18 insulation in the roof, and R-8 in the walls and floor. Are there any other makes that feature insulation values that match the Arctic Fox? Does anyone have any experience with an Arctic Fox? As I stated above, I realize this is an A/S dedicated site, but a little outside advice and opinion can also be helful. I don't want to offend those of you who own A/S's, and if A/S offered the type of insulation that the Arctic Fox apparantly does, I would not even post my question, for an A/S is what I really want, but it may not be practical for the situation that I describe, i.e. winter living full time. Any comments will be appreciated.
I do not believe A/S or most any other RV trailer made in the US is designed for your very specific &, IMHO, very limited use catagory. I would buy the X-RV if it meets your requirements. An Airstream trailer has it's appeal, but not for every situation or application. Don't suggest a 'stock' A/S if you want to trailer to the South Pole either.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

DeLongi dehumidifier and Stupenden air cond/heat unit. Both have wheels and handles to get them around. They are both european with high energy ratings and some air filtering abilities. The Euros seem to be ahead of USA in energy efficiency and smaller units as they pay much higher fuel costs than we do, and often have smaller living spaces. I didn't even realise the air conditioner heated too!! As heating is the last thing on my mind!! Ahhh..we are FINALLY having weather in the 70's!
It is a fact that humidity affect our sense of heat/cool. 100 degrees in the desert is a lot easier to take than in very humid Houston! suz