Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream v/s Agosy

I have been looking for an airstream and found an Agosy in looking at the two what I see as diffarent is that the Agosy is painted and for some reason weighs less then the Airstream but there has to be more one v/s the other I see more Airstreams then Agosy ???

vanman250
vanman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

There are many threads addressing this but.......

Hey Van,
Argosys were billed as a more affordable version. Besides paint,
another big difference is the two roof endcaps that are made out of
steel rather than aluminum. ( It was cheaper and easier to use one big piece of steel than to piece together many aluminum segments.) They say that Airstream used up it's blemished sheets of aluminum on the Argosys, as the paint hid the imperfections. My Argosy is sans the fancy monitoring system.

At risk of ruffling feathers, I think that the painted trailers look better longer than the clear coated aluminum version.
Some argue that Argosys were used as prototypes to test out
new designs for the silver Airstreams. I think they had great floor plans.
Argosys were built in the seventys when the whole fleet was lighter.
They started painting the roofs of Airstreams (and school busses )white because it kept them up to 12 degrees cooler. So I guess you could say that Argosys are much cooler than Airstreams. ( I know I will catch noise for that comment)
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I really like the Argosys. The big plus in my opinion is the huge wrap around windows on the front. Airstreams didn't get them until much later. So if you want a vintage trailer with the big window experience, you can't go wrong with an Argosy.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Argosys are unique

As someone who owns and loves a traditional aluminum Airstream, but who is about to become an Argosy owner as well, I think I can be unbiased enough to offer a few summary observations of the "Argosy advantages":

-- painted skin means no worries about cosmetic oxidization or polishing
-- generally lighter, especially the Minuets
-- some Minuets offer an innovative aluminum-foam floor which can't rot! (but which has been known to stretch a bit)
-- same Airstream quality, most of the same Airstream parts
-- wrap-around "CCD-type" windows are VERY cool, as Stef noted
-- generally cheaper in the used market than equivalent Airstreams
-- innovative floorplans (esp. the rear-entrance models)

The Argosy trailers are a great option for someone who wants a small-to-mid sized Airstream without spending a lot of money. Plenty are available on the used market. The motorhomes are also very nice -- ask thenewkid64, who is on his second one!

Read about our Argosy re-creation (Project "Vintage Thunder") in the first issue of Airstream Life, coming out late June!
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream v/s Agosy

Greetings vanman250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman250
I have been looking for an airstream and found an Agosy in looking at the two what I see as diffarent is that the Agosy is painted and for some reason weighs less then the Airstream but there has to be more one v/s the other I see more Airstreams then Agosy ???

vanman250
I had exactly the opposite experience when I was looking for my first Airstream product - - was searching for an Argosy but my Airstream found me. Now, with one of each, I can appreciate the differences and similarities.

One part of your question regarding numbers observed in the marketplace and on the road can relate to several issues. One of the greatest differences is the length of time that Argosys were manufactured in comparison to Airstreams - - Argosy was in production about two decades in comparison to Airstream's nearly seven decades of production. Another reason Argosys may be slightly less obvious in the market is that they were viewed as something of an "orphan" in the market up until somewhat recently - - much like the Edsel and Studebaker once their parent companies discontinued their production - - as a perceived "orphan", I tend to believe that the resulting suppressed values meant that once an Argosy hit the used market it was less likely to receive the level of preventative maintenance (from second and subsequent owners) that would have resulted in greater survival rates - - I tend to believe that the perceived "orphan" situation for Argosys has changed tremendously in just the last five to seven years (I also believe that the WBCCI's decision to welcome Argosys into the club as well as other Airstream products (B-Vans, SquareStreams, Integrity, etc.) helped in increasing the marque's current recognition). A third issue that appears to have helped to increase the acceptance is the realization/recognition that the Argosy line was a test-bed for features/models that would one-day make it to the Airstream line (such as the motorhome, and the deep-wrap wing windows) - - as well as some features that never made it to the Airstream line (such as the rear door models and the aluminum composite floors).

Your observation that the Argosy weighs less than the Airstream is generally true at least as far as empty weights of similar sized Argosys and Airstreams. My observation has been that when the Airstream and Argosy being compared are of the same size with similar options and accessories, there is actually very little difference in weight between the coaches - - it seems that difference is often that what was standard on the Airstream but optional on the Argosy resluting in a lower factory empty weight. My observation has also been that when comparing similar vintages of Argosys and Airstreams that the GVWR of similar sized coaches is often quite similar with the exception of the Minuet series which was 8" narrower than its size peers in the Airstream line, and also contained cabinetry made of vinyl covered aluminum.

For instance, the following was found when comparing 1976 Argosys and Airstreams:

Globetrotter 21 - - 3,410 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 20 - - 2,880 lbs.
Safari 23 Double - - 3,850 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 24 - - 3,620 lbs.
Safari 23 Twin - - 3,800 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 24 - - 3,610 lbs.
Trade Wind Twin 25 - - 4,090 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 26 - - 3,830 lbs
Trade Wind Double 25 - - 4,175 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 26 - - 3,850 lbs
Overlander-Twin 27 - - 4,520 lbs. empty weight - - Argosy 28 - - 4,020 lbs.
Overlander-Double 27 - - 4,550 lbs. empty weight - - Argsoy 28 - - 4,040 lbs

My information on Airstream GVWR is not complete, but for those that I have, the similar length coaches (usually not exact as Argosys were usually even size measurements while Airstreams were odd size measurements) had GVWR within 200 lbs of one another.

The Argosy tends to have fewer of the "bells and whistles" of similar vintage Airstream coaches with the resultant weight savings as well as some reduction in complexity of the systems to be maintained. The extent of weight savings measures applied to the "non-Minuet" coaches can have an impact on weight - - where vinyl-clad aluminum is used for cabinetry, a weight savings is realized; but the long-term appearance qualities of the vinyl clad aluminum can pose restoration difficulties. When moving between my '64 Overlander and my '78 Minuet, the greatest difference that I notice is the cabinetry - - fine wood veneer plywood in the Overlander and vinyl clad aluminum in the Minuet - - despite being similar in color and texture, the Overlander just feels warmer and more inviting. The Minuet feels more modern and bright. Both coaches have a similar level of creature comforts and accessories. There were some differences in the quality of the upholstery and finishes used in Argosys - - Airstream fabrics tended to be plusher with greater use of button-tufting and other decorator treatments while Argosy upholstery tended to be rugged fabrics with minimal use of button-tufting and other decorator features - - - part of what gives the Argosy a more modern appearance IMHO.

The original intent of the Argosy line can be seen in the quote below from the Intorductory (1972) sales brochure:

*Quoted from the Introductory Brochure for the Argosy Line.
"The all-new Argosy meets today's demand for a travel trailer of superior quality in the medium priced field. The Argosy offers every major feature that made Airstream famous, yet suggested retail prices range from only $3,990 to $5,755. These are introductory prices subject ot change at any time. Nearly forty years of Airstream trailering technology have gone into the Argosy along with many years of careful planning and thousands of miles of shakedown tests. The Argosy is udeniably the most pre-tested new trailer ever to be intorduced and carries a 12-month warranty in plain language that is straight and to the point.

Argosys aren't necessarily for everyone. The Airstream "mystique" while present to some degreee isn't as widely recognized, but is increasing in its recognition among many Airstream product owners. While values have increased significantly over the past few years for Argosys of all descriptions, the value of a restored Argosy often is less than that of similar Airstreams while, at least in my experience, the restoration costs are very nearly the same. The biggest difference is that once the coach is restored, the paint is less costly to maintain than a polish job or a polish/Plasticoat system. I am on my third season of the Polish/Plasticoat on my Overlander and to my eye it looks as good today as the day I towed it out of the Ruth's facility in Helena, OH - - but it has taken twice-yearly Walbernizing to keep the Plasticoat up. I am hoping for at least 10 years from the Plasticoat. While I haven't had the exterior of my Minuet repainted, my estimates have been equivalent to what I spent on having the Airstream Polished/Plasticoated when related on a linear foot basis ($125 to $175 per linear foot).

Good luck with your research and coach selection process!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #6

Argosy vs. Airstream

After reading about the similarities and differences, I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in. I live in Versailles, Ohio, where the Argosy was made and I know people who worked in the plant. Contrary to popular opinion, they said that rejected parts from Airstream were not used. It would have made the Argosy a cheap trailer, not a less expensive trailer. It was designed to be a moderately priced trailer of light weight and one that could try out some ideas before being used on the Airstreams. I bought a 28' Argosy two years ago and had it repainted with Dupont Imron paint, maybe the best automotive paint available. I'm amazed how easily it washes dirt off. The trailer absolutely sparkles. The wrap around front windows give it a light, airy atmosphere. It weighs 4600 lbs. empty and is a dream to pull. By the way, it's also for sale since my wife was in an auto accident and no longer wants to camp. I'm not really into technical things, but I know the people of Versailles and they made trailers every bit as well as Jackson Center did.
Argosy 28
dadleugers@yahoo.com
Old 05-31-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Bunk Beds in an Argosy

I also had begun looking for an Airstream when I came across the Argosy. I like the idea of the lower price to get into the Argosy. I have found a great deal of info on the Argosy's and like the 1978 24' and 27' versions - they were made with a bunk bed option that enabled these relatively short trailers sleep 6 - not unlike today's Safari 25'. Of all the Argosy trailers I have found, none have had this option. Does anyone know how likely I am to find one?
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Rear door Argosy

I have had my eye on a rear door Argosy, double axle and all original interior. I can probably get it for $1000. It is in good shape. How rare are the rear door entry models? Where it is is a secret.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Bunk Beds in an Argosy

I did see one rear door in my searches located in Canada - I believe it was around $6,000 Canadian and it was pretty beat up and highly modified. I like the idea of an original one - especially for $1,000!!! There is a nice collection of floor plans on argosytrailer.com. Do you know if they offered a bunk option in that model so it would sleep 6?
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Airstream v/s Agosy

Greetings Short 563!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short563
I did see one rear door in my searches located in Canada - I believe it was around $6,000 Canadian and it was pretty beat up and highly modified. I like the idea of an original one - especially for $1,000!!! There is a nice collection of floor plans on argosytrailer.com. Do you know if they offered a bunk option in that model so it would sleep 6?
All of the 1970s Argosy sales literature that I have makes absolutely no mention of a bunk bed option for any of the coaches. The owner's manuals that I have, however, list the hammock bunks for all models of Argosy coaches at least through 1979 - - according to the owner's manuals, the hammock bunk was not an option on any of the Minuets.

Quote:
I have found a great deal of info on the Argosy's and like the 1978 24' and 27' versions - they were made with a bunk bed option that enabled these relatively short trailers sleep 6 - not unlike today's Safari 25'. Of all the Argosy trailers I have found, none have had this option. Does anyone know how likely I am to find one?
You may already have seen one and didn't notice the attaching hardware for the Hammock Bunks as the hardware typically blends into the decor if you aren't looking for the indicators. The hammock bunks often part ways with coaches - - my '64 Overlander became separated from its hammock bunks between owner 2 in 1980 and I as owner 3 in 1995. The attaching hardware usually remains - - two disks with "keyed slots" in the center on the ceiling for each of the bunks, a pair of wall bracket (usually beside the windows next to the walls at the end of the twin beds). The hammock bunks themselves resemble an aluminum framed army cot with a pair of rods on the outher edge that attach to the ceiling disks with the side frame resting on the wall mounted brackets.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-31-2004, 10:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Airstream v/s Agosy

Greetings Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
I have had my eye on a rear door Argosy, double axle and all original interior. I can probably get it for $1000. It is in good shape. How rare are the rear door entry models? Where it is is a secret.

Rob
The Rear Door Model Argosys were only offered during a brief period of time - -
1977 - - Argosy 24 Rear Door Model
1976 - - Argosy 22 Rear Door Model
1975 - - Argosy 22 Rear Door Model
I don't have floorplans for 1973/1974, but the 1974 owner's manual makes no mention of a Rear Door Model in its weights and measurers section. The Minuet series was introduces in 1977/78, and the 20' - 24' regular line coaches dissappeared after 1977/78 and it appears that 1977 was the last year for the Rear Door Model at least according to the published literature. The biggest difference between the 22 and 24 Rear Door Models was that the 24 series had front twin beds opposed to the front lounge on the 22'.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-31-2004, 10:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
22 Footer

I think it is a 22 footer, with rear door, as it has a front lounge, L shaped that is quite long, with a rear bath. Thanks for the info.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote