Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I hope the op is okay, haven't heard from her in years. I think she also had a BMW mc?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I'm glad this thread was revived. It shows me, black ice covered with a dusting of snow, is a bad combination. If the truckers are waiting out a storm, so should we. Be safe everyone.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I've been wondering about exhaust brakes on the newer diesels only working on the rear wheels, are they tied in with the anti-lock brake system? Seems like a potential problem under low traction conditions like the first rain or sudden hail storm? Does anybody notice extra tire wear of rear tires? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good questions.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Same effect with water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Interesting post and glad she didn't get hurt, although I don't understand how the sequence connect, starting with: " I backed off the gas and the rear of the truck broke free".
Now that the thread has been revived, this is the same thing that will happen driving on wet pavement or standing water.

I was towing a 12' UHaul west bound with my extended cab Chevy along I-10 by Live Oak just after a rain and noticed the rain had puddled in the road ruts ahead so I decided to back off the accelerator and slow down. In hindsight not a good idea at that instance. The trailer pushed the rear end of the truck around and jack-knived the truck and trailer so that I was now traveling backwards and the trailer was alongside heading in the opposite direction, still connected. Steering was non-responsive. Like sliding on ice going across wet grass. I slid across the median (about 80 yards) and stopped in the middle of the east bound lanes. I was lucky there was a break in traffic and to get away with a dent in the side panel and a very bruised ego. I checked trailer and truck, and proceeded on my way.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I hope the op is okay, haven't heard from her in years.
Sounds as though she's sold her Airstream...but looking for a new one. She seems to check in every once & a while though.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also there was a thread about putting chains on trailer tires. IMO worthless as not a driving axle and when start sliding side ways, exaperates the slide and no way to stop slide. I have never seen big truck drivers put chains on trailers. Hydroplaning on water will also cause loss of steering control.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
I've been wondering about exhaust brakes on the newer diesels only working on the rear wheels, are they tied in with the anti-lock brake system? Seems like a potential problem under low traction conditions like the first rain or sudden hail storm? Does anybody notice extra tire wear of rear tires? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering.
The same with big trucks, engine brake is off on icy roads...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Also there was a thread about putting chains on trailer tires. IMO worthless as not a driving axle and when start sliding side ways, exaperates the slide and no way to stop slide. I have never seen big truck drivers put chains on trailers. Hydroplaning on water will also cause loss of steering control.
You should be out in this part of the country, LookoutPass, chains on drivers and on trailers,many times, also on Pipestone Pass...why would you want to pull your As in those conditions?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
You should be out in this part of the country, LookoutPass, chains on drivers and on trailers,many times, also on Pipestone Pass...why would you want to pull your As in those conditions?
Sorry I have never been there and was unaware of chains on trailers as I have never seen in Il. but we don't have mountains either. On tv highway thru hell in Canada I have never seen trailers with chains and I don't no if as bad as Pipestone or LookoutPass as I will never go to either rd. in winter and never w/AS in tow [it stays in side for winter]. If rds. icy in Il. our trucks stay home except small ones to plow snow. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote