Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #1

Lightbulb Airstream/Teardrop Morph?

Has anybody seen or heard of an Airstream/Teardrop Morph? I'm considering building a classic teardrop, but would like a little more leg room and a lot more style. I'm 6'3", my wife's 6'. The big teardrops (5' X 10', etc.) look awkward in my opinion. After all, the charm is in their compact size. I do need to store this trailer in my garage, so height is an issue.

What I am imagining is a 5' X 10' aluminum clad trailer with a maximum ext. height of 6'6". I would like to do an airstream shaped trailer - rounded aluminum front and rear, round windows, at about a 2/3 scale. The interior should be set up like a teardrop - nothing but a bed and some built in cabinets. The rear should open up, also like a teardrop, for the kitchen. I would like to build this to the proportions of the early '50s 15' and 16' models.

So, does anyone have any ideas?
fornesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well are you talking about the T@B that is imported by Thor industries, Airstreams Parent company? http://www.tab-rv.com/

Or are you talking about the Aitstream Prototype that has been showing up on the RV circuit? It's not really a Tear drop. I can't find a picture of it.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Guess what

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Well are you talking about the T@B that is imported by Thor industries, Airstreams Parent company? http://www.tab-rv.com/
Or are you talking about the Aitstream Prototype that has been showing up on the RV circuit? It's not really a Tear drop. I can't find a picture of it.
59toaster,
Funny this should pop up~
I was just talking with a local RV dealer here in NH the other day, and I asked;"How's the TAB doing?". His reply was;"They're having a big problem with the TAB units LEAKING~!!!".
Looks like we'll be getting queries on the forum for floor repairs, leaking gasket repairs, door blowing open while in motion, window won't open and/or shut, etc` for the TAB.
Just thought you's like to know ..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
That's a shame. I really think they are neat little coaches. Sad that QC is down.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
That's a shame. I really think they are neat little coaches. Sad that QC is down.

I agree...They really are cute~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

T@Bs leaking

Hi all,

the info that the T@B's are leaking is suprising to me, as the builder - Tabbert - is a well know, high quality TT-builder, with a very good reputation for quality products here in europe (Image isnot not as iconic as AS, of course !).
I searched several german camping forums and could not find info on this topic, T@Bs are not sold in large quantities, though (more an image-builder for Tabbert) - maybe because young europeans are not happy with the internal height of less than 1,75m / 69'; ? ;-)
Interesting situation, I woud like to have more background info on this ..

Martin
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
check

Quote:
Originally Posted by memartinde
Hi all,

the info that the T@B's are leaking is suprising to me, as the builder - Tabbert - is a well know, high quality TT-builder, with a very good reputation for quality products here in europe (Image isnot not as iconic as AS, of course !).
I searched several german camping forums and could not find info on this topic, T@Bs are not sold in large quantities, though (more an image-builder for Tabbert) - maybe because young europeans are not happy with the internal height of less than 1,75m / 69'; ? ;-)
Interesting situation, I woud like to have more background info on this ..

Martin
check ur PM..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-03-2004, 06:01 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Doc Holman's torpedo?

Hi, Fornesto...

It sounds to me like you want to build a replica of Doc Holman's 1935 Torpedo Airstream. It's the oldest 'living' example of one of Wally Byam's 'kit' trailers. I have several photos of Doc Sr. in the trailer and the interior of the trailer from the Sioux Falls International rally if you're interested.

Doc Sr. has passed on, and I don't know if Doc Jr. is still travelling witht the trailer or not.

You might also want to look at this thread regarding the Airstream BaseCamp:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8184

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1935 torpedo.jpg
Views:	3108
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	7003  
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #9

That T@B is a hoot! But, what I really am interested in is a 2/3 scale Airstream-inspired trailer, designed like a kids playhouse. I want to store it in the garage, so 7' is the maximum height. I don't need to be able to stand up in it or even have floor space. Like a teardrop, the whole inside can be a bed. I'm working off a standard Snow Bear 4X8 utility trailer, so lightweight is good. Essentially, I would like to build a teardrop trailer, but with the profile of an airstream, including the rounded corners and internal wheels - no fenders. I am planning on a fold down chuckwagon kitchen in the rear. Because the trailer would not have a typical teardrop profile, the rear surface will be nearly verticle ala Airstream. As such, a flip down counter would work better than a flip up canopy. I will keep an eye out and try to post a preliminary design. The rounded will definitely be the challenge.

Thanks for all the responses.

BTW: Is there a vintage trailer park in Arizona that rents out vintage trailers to weary travelers like a motel?
fornesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
http://www.theshadydell.com/about.html is what your thinking about.

YES PLEASE keep us posted on what you come up with.
I built a little redneck special that doubles as a Cargo trailer and a camper when the family is not with me. I have thought about a teardrop just to build one. They look fun! A little bit oversized one that you could sit on a chair in would be great and I would retire the rednect specal to cargo only.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you keep the sides flat (as opposed to the curve of an AS) it will be a lot easier. The more sections you make in the front and rear cap will make it easier to get a curved look. Extruded Z's would make good door frames, channels with flat stock for trim for the windows (glass will also be easier with flat sides). It wouldn't pass up close, but going down the road would get people looking. I'm with Toaster, keep us posted, sounds interesting.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fornesto
That T@B is a hoot! But, what I really am interested in is a 2/3 scale Airstream-inspired trailer, designed like a kids playhouse. I want to store it in the garage, so 7' is the maximum height. I don't need to be able to stand up in it or even have floor space. Like a teardrop, the whole inside can be a bed. I'm working off a standard Snow Bear 4X8 utility trailer, so lightweight is good. Essentially, I would like to build a teardrop trailer, but with the profile of an airstream, including the rounded corners and internal wheels - no fenders. I am planning on a fold down chuckwagon kitchen in the rear. Because the trailer would not have a typical teardrop profile, the rear surface will be nearly verticle ala Airstream. As such, a flip down counter would work better than a flip up canopy. I will keep an eye out and try to post a preliminary design. The rounded will definitely be the challenge.

Thanks for all the responses.

BTW: Is there a vintage trailer park in Arizona that rents out vintage trailers to weary travelers like a motel?
NOW I understand! Too cool! a 13 panel front (like the old ones) will get you your curves. I agree with 74Argosy24MH about the flat sides. They'll be much easier to do, and it'll pass muster at a distance.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some teardrop web sites.

Here are a couple of links that could be of interest to you in your thinking about a teardrop trailer. The first one is for a site where you can buy complete plans for a classic teardrop built on a trailer frame available online:

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/

This next site has all sorts of links related to teardrops:

http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/tearlink.htm

This site has a decidedly different flavor of small trailer:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...dropindex.html

Happy hunting,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote