Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Yes, I knew before I posted that I would be going against the tide of AirForum opinion. It appears that the consensus is that you weren't being too harsh, not at all. Apparently, you are fair minded to a fault. And when you "rant" you do so without any hint of exaggeration. All those WBCCI Club members are "unbelievable snobs," and in no way is that slander. That's the way it works on AirForums, right? That certainly is its reputation, a place where mud-slinging passes for balanced discussion and reasoned criticism.

I don't post on AirForums much anymore for that very reason. It is unfortunate that you were not welcomed in a manner that you thought you deserved. But I really take exception to the broad brush you paint the club with. It is obvious to me, at least, that much of it is based on your lack of knowledge. For instance, characterizing the Caravan Leader as a Grand Poobah (in others words as pompous) when they actually do a lot of work to plan the caravan and then take on the responsibility to lead it, all voluntarily, with no pay. Or, the caravan participants as being so monied that they wouldn't think of getting their "hands dirty."

Well, first off it is no sin to have enough money to buy what you want. If you had as much you'd probably do the same. I know I would. Second, I'm not someone with with an excess of money, but I'm a member of the Club, and my fingernails are dirty as I type this, because I spent the afternoon working on my Airstream. I have to, because I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it for me. I'm okay with that. I knew a long time ago that my career path wasn't going to make me rich.

But that likely doesn't matter, to you, or to many of the other AirForum members who paint with the same broad brush. When you paint that broadly you also paint me and my friends in the Club as "unbelievable snob[s]", and I think that's undeservedly insulting. Is that the "common courtesy" you refer to?

I think it is prefectly fine for you to express disappointment, but you went way beyond that.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
David,

Thank you giving us your side of the story. Keep up the the good work, it is appreciated.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
Mr. McClure,

Never referred to anyone as "unbelievable snob(s)".

I was not aware that the airforums was "a place that mudslinging passes for balanced discussion and reasoned criticism". I thank you for making me aware of that.

Mr. Chenevert
Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
You are all wrong

Ronald D,

I take extreme offense at your posting here, and am very upset by your lack of truth and understanding of others in your statements. I am on this caravan, and yes as tallytwo1994 posted it is the Nor’ by Nor’ East N-38-H National Caravan.

At every stop we have made on this caravan we have been visited may many fellow campers who are interested in Airstreams and wanted to have a look inside and ask our opinions. At Campobello, Pat and I personally gave several tours to others camped there including a family whose children could only speak French. Apparently you didn’t come by my trailer. I was parked in the open with my back to the woods. Thats me at the right of the attached picture.

Our “Grand Poobah” as you unaffectionately called him, does not wear a whistle. Sometimes he has a handheld CB to help direct us into our campsites. It’s a welcome service he provides. He has also invited the park staff at each place we have camped to join us for a meal, if we have one there, and has taken food to the workers who cannot leave their post. At Booth Bay an Airstreaming couple who were not WBCCI members was invited to join us for happy hour. How is that snobbish? Furthermore, since he has made all the arrangements for our stays, he wants everyone to come to him first with any problems. What’s wrong with that?

The couple you mentioned with the restored ’78 are some of the nicest people on this caravan. They have been giving tours to anyone who asks. And, what is wrong with paying someone to do the restoration for you? There are businesses that do this for a living. I have members in my unit that have bought beautifully restored Vintage Airstreams for their use, bring them to our rallies, and show them off. They don’t have the skills to restore one themselves, but are proud owners and WBCCI and VAC members. None of us are wearing sweaters with the arms tied around the neck, and most of us have dirty fingernails too, because we are traveling, handling sewer hoses and fixing things that break along the way.

All of our units (trailers and motor homes) are proudly displaying our big red numbers. Our leader has some ghosts of his old numbers because the National Caravan Leaders were all allowed to draw 800 numbers and he chose to do that. Again, what’s wrong with that?

So now look what you have done. Without a lot of facts, you went off on a rant and put up just another post here on AIRForums expressing negativity toward your fellow Airstreamers and the WBCCI. Where you say, “I am a fairly presentable person, from Massachusetts, educated at Boston University, Air Force veteran of Viet Nam, fairly successful business operator…” maybe you’re just a little too full of yourself to really try to get to know us. There are also several retired military on this caravan too, I being one of them, and most of us have had some success in our lives too since we are able to be retired and afford to own Airstreams and travel with them. We are as common folk as you are, and maybe a little nicer and not as angry at life.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3395.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	84830  
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald D View Post
Mr. McClure,

Never referred to anyone as "unbelievable snob(s)".

Mr. Chenevert
Yeah, you did, in your first post at the very beginning of this thread. That's why it was in quotes. Here it is again, but in the full sentence you wrote, "There were 14 Airstreams and the all the people I spoke with were unbelievable snobs."

You shouldn't backpedal. Instead, just apologize.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
Mr. McClure,

I did say that, I didn't remember and did not re-read my first posting. I apologize for saying I never said that. My memory is just not what it used to be.

RDC