Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #225
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Where is this particular hike? It looks like it might be one I need to know about.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #226
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Nice Find!

Porky,

Great looking trailer. The 'owner's' legs are a little spindly, hope the suspension on the A/S isn't the same !

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #227
Site Team

, Minnesota
Those spindles are certainly too thin to support the weight of the chassis.

Wouldn't worry about exceeding the GVWR either. Definitely needs some weight distribution adjustment.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #228
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Just can't keep beautiful women away from mirrors, or any other reflective surface. Polish fellows, POLISH!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #229
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Xenia , Ohio
Hubba!

The owner isn't bad looking either...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #230
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Saw one of those Ford Econoline Conversion Airstreams (called a Class B?) running around Griffin, Georgia on Monday.

My daughter just called and said there is TT at the Sonic in McDonough having lunch right now. Just off interstate 75, so probably somebody going to/coming from Florida.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #231
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
US 1 in Waycross, GA 1 pm today

Saw a 70's tandem axle going south toward Jacksonville. It was being pulled by a red Ford truck (I think - only saw it for a second.) No Wally club numbers on it. This was probably not an A/Sforums member because the nose of the trailer was WAY high.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #232
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I saw early 70s on I-75 at Boonesboro Ky, the green Burb was pullin
Old 06-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Lake Chabot

There was a really nice new Bambi CCD at Lake Chabot Family Campground in Castro Valley CA this weekend, where we tent camped. I took a picture with my husband's cell phone but I didn't click "save" or whatever, I just closed the phone and said hi to the owners, two really nice women who were camping for the weekend there. So you'll just have to settle for s'mores!

Really looking forward to having the A/S done so we can stop packing/unpacking that dang truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smoressmallsize.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	22483  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #234
3 Rivet Member

Airstream Coffee Shop

In Cedarburg, Wisconsin, just off I-43, at Port Washington Road: Coffee shop made from a twenty-year-or-so old A/S. I'll take pics next time we're up that direction. Very interesting. Name has the word "Latte" in it.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #235
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
..... So you'll just have to settle for s'mores!.......
I LOVE s'mores. As a Girl Scout, and life-long Boy Scout, I developed a sweet tooth for those things a long time ago. (Can you tell we have three daughters?) S'mores are as much to camping as is a tent!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Notice the technique. Double marshmallow roaster (I found this at a truck stop in Nebraska coming home from the trailer tow home!!).

Put chocolate on crackers onto grate, for warmth and slight meltage. Roast the 'shmallow over red-hot coals, not open flame. Not too close or it will spontaneously combust. Take the 'mallow off and turn it around and put back on the stick, halfway through roasting, to cook it thoroughly.

Place roasted 'mallow on chocolate/cracker combo, by simply "wiping" it from the stick onto the cracker. Cooked properly, the mallow should come cleanly off the stick.

Put the top cracker on. Pick up s'more and wait 30 seconds before eating...for maximum chocolate/marshmallow meltitude.

I am the Queen Of S'mores in my family!

ingrid
Old 06-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #237
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
As a Girl Scout, and life-long Boy Scout...

Jim
Jim ~

I never would have imagined you were both. Neat trick. Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
In Cedarburg, Wisconsin, just off I-43, at Port Washington Road: Coffee shop made from a twenty-year-or-so old A/S. I'll take pics next time we're up that direction. Very interesting. Name has the word "Latte" in it.
I think this is it: I've seen this article about it before.

Milwaukeeans find nothing trashy about Airstream trailers

By Molly Snyder Edler
OMC Staff Writer

E-mail author | Author bio
More articles by Molly Snyder Edler
Published Feb. 27, 2003 at 5:31 a.m.
The first time I saw an Airstream was in Florida in the mid-'80s. I was instantly smitten with the silver orb hitched to a station wagon and desperately wanted to see what it looked like inside. I imagined it to be very funky with fuzzy leopard-print pillows and a beaded curtain, much like the 1970 Land Yacht Safari Airstream now parked in my backyard.
You either understand Airstream love or you don't. On the road, I often receive honks, peace signs and smiles from other drivers, but some simply don't get it, saying things like, "You own a TRAILER?" (For the record, I prefer the word "camper.")
Lee Shauer definitely gets it. She and her husband, Doug Friedrich, own Latte Da, a drive-through coffee shop that's inside a 1979, 23-foot Airstream. "The Airstream has so much history," says Shauer, who lives on Milwaukee's North Side. "The shape, the sleekness, it's all so retro-American."
Parked on HWY C in Cedarburg, Latte Da recently announced its two-year anniversary by placing a huge coffee cup with two candles atop their shiny bubble-shaped camper.
Although Shauer wishes she and her family could stop the bean grinding and milk steaming for a few weeks and take their Airstream on the road, she recognizes this is unrealistic with three kids and a new business. However, when the couple purchased the Airstream off of the Internet six months before opening Latte Da, they had lots of fun camping in their driveway.
"The Airstream really has a cult-like following," says Shauer. "You really have to own an Airstream to understand it."
Airstreams, often referred to as the Rolls Royce of RVs, have gained popularity in Hollywood, too. Sean Penn, Anthony Edwards, Tim Burton, Francis Ford Coppola and Andy Garcia are all avid Airstreamers, and Martha Stewart recently vacationed in one.
Airstreams have also appeared in many films, including "The Right Stuff," "Independence Day," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "Raising Arizona," "Space Cowboys," "Leaving Normal" and "Rocky and Bullwinkle." Although it doesn't feature an Airstream, Lucille Ball's "The Long, Long Trailer" is also a favorite among silver bullet owners.
The Airstream was invented in the 1930s by Wally Byam when his wife refused to go camping unless she could take her kitchen with her. Today, the Ohio-based company has manufactured more than 100,000 trailers, with 70,000 still on the road.
Byam, who was an articulate advertising executive, is most famous for the quote, "It was impossible, so it took a little longer." He traveled all over the world in Airstreams, including Africa and Egypt.
Airstreams are made from aluminum and therefore don't rust, one of the reasons why they are so poular with Midwesterners. They range in size from 16 feet to over 30 feet and most include a table, two benches that double as twin beds, a sink, fridge, stove, small bathroom and sleeping area.
The cost of a high-end Airstream is around $60,000, but most enthusiasts find them on the Internet or parked at the side of rural highways for under $10,000 and desperately in need of TLC. But for many, fixing up the 'Stream is half the fun.
"I just think they're cool and fascinating," says Richard Kirchen, an Airstream enthusiast from Milwaukee. "They're very '50s futuristic."

ingrid

Tags
random sightings