Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #2185
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I saw Three on the road <being towed, well sorta> on my trip to The keys and back. The first one was on the side of the road...IT was a SUNKIST Airstream. Never seen one of those. The exits are so far apart I couldn't turn around to see if they needed help or not. But now days with cell phones I'm sure they were ok. It was on the tollway between Orlando and I-75. The Other was around June 14 early afternoon on Near Marathon Key, it was a newer model. The last one was when we were going through Shreveport it was heading east on I-20.It was definatly a Vintage Airstream. Logged over 3,000 miles and only saw 6 total. The others were not being towed.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #2186

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I saw 3 over the weekend! Rare in KS. One older 30 ft on I 35 toll road, one older unit in storage by our campground and a pre 2007 25 ft international less than a mile from my house!

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #2187
Rivet Master
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We passed a bambi in downtown Salida, CO last week when we were towing our 23FB through the downtown. Gave an AS salute to each other as we passed each other.

bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #2188
2 Rivet Member
1980 31' Excella II
Davenport , Iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to MRHottinger Send a message via Skype™ to MRHottinger
Just drove past an Excella in the parking lot of the building next to my office in an industrial park in Austell, GA. Last week I was telling my wife when we get ours in August I might take it to work through the week so I can sleep in it instead of my office. Office and home are 72 miles apart on opposite sides of Atlanta and the commute time/miles are killer in the traffic.
MRHottinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #2189
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California

Besides Monte B's 1972 Overlander, who we camped next to with our 1974 Tradewind, we saw three more Airstreams on the Playa at Black Rock Desert this weekend when we attended Fourth of Juplaya.

We saw a sixties model, possibly a Safari or Tradewind, parked in someone's yard at Pyramid Lakes, Nevada, another sixties model, about the same size as the previous trailer, headed eastbound on I-80, a few miles east of Auburn, California, near the the Dry Creek Road freeway entrance/exit and finally, an eighties model, with a wide burgundy stripe along its beltline, parked in a storage lot on 680 at the junction of 4.
Gemma and Murray
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #2190
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
23' Headed South

I saw a 23' later model AS with 4 digit WBCCI numbers on it. It was going the other way and all I got was a glance. It was headed South on I-77 near Davidson, NC on Friday, July 2, at about noon.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #2191
Rivet Master
2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
3 on the Alaska Highway plus an Interstate

I saw these 3 trailers traveling East along Alaska Hwy. 1 (Glenn Highway) in front of Sheep Mountain Lodge (MP113.5) as we waited for the start of the next wave of riders in the annual Fireweed 400 bike race involving 800+ hardy bikers. The first image shows all 3 trailers #3829, #11598 & #4943. The 4th image shows my 2010 Interstate on the Sheep Mountain airstrip which was blocked off for camping during the event. The last image shows why there were large white Xs placed at each end of the gravel strip; sorry, no Super Cubs this weekend! The pics were taken 7/10 around 11 AM. BTW, if you ever travel this area, don't miss the Sheep Mountain Lodge for great food, scenery, hiking and lodging should you need it! This is one of the real gems of the Alaska Highway! (I have no connection, just really like the place).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	106669 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	106670

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	106671 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	106672

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	106673
- wayne
2010 Interstate 3500 Twin Bed
(2008 Freightliner CRD Sprinter)
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #2192
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
owners apparently walked away, bruised but OK

Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Airstream parked on its side, July 5th, 2010, I-25 South bound about a mile North of the Anheuser Bush brewery, Colorado. We were returning from a few days in Spearfish SD, driving on a service road so I didn't get a good look but there it was, parked on its side tow vehicle white truck of sorts jack knifed. Looked like the passing lane was blocked, and traffic was backed up for at least a mile in front of the wreck. Anyone know the details?

BTW, they don't look good parked on their side.
Hope no one was hurt.

your sighting was referenced here, yesterday morning -

Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
I appreiciate Mr Beu's contribution. However, during our 13 days in Gillette we heard from several sources, the motorhome topic was rumoured. Thenwe heard that is was DEAD, again. It was a REAL surprise to hear it re-surfaced the day we left, after we left and arrived home and fired the computer up. WE WOULD HAVE STAYED for this HOT TOPIC and driven home later that day. Maybe things would be differnet and we could have travelled with our Region 11 outgoing president and husband. Maybe if this was our time line they wouldn't have wrecked on I-25 between Ft collins and their home. They are OK, sore, but the trailer is a gonner and the towcar was beaten up.
the preceding quote is from this link -

we have a saying in the rescue business - "Any one you walk away from is a good one.... " am glad to learn that his was a good one.

Joseph & Gabrielle

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #2193
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Montrose , Colorado
Woohoo. Just spotted a lucky A/S on the road - from the vantage point of my office window. The lucky traveler, with an Excella 28' (?), was northbound on Hwy 550 coming into Montrose Colorado. White Ford 250 double cab TV.
Happy travels.
Pony Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #2194
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Crash closes I-90

Name:   I-90.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  12.9 KB

Name:   I-90-2.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:   I-90-3.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  17.9 KB

July 9, 2010

Crash closes I-90

Staff Reports
Sioux Falls, South Dakota Argus Leader

Interstate 90 is back open after a two-vehicle crash this morning west of the Salem exit closed it for about five hours.

The crash happened about 9 a.m. when Ronald Scott Jessop, 25, of Washington, Utah, fell asleep at the wheel of a 2005 Kenworth semi-truck, the South Dakota Department of Safety said in a release.

The Kenworth struck the rear of a Ford Explorer being towed by a 1999 Air Stream Cutter driven by Betty A. Sullivan, 73, of Wichita, Kan.

The Explorer went into the south ditch. The Air Stream entered the center median and rolled, while the Kenworth entered the south ditch and rolled.

Sullivan suffered minor injuries. A passenger in the Air Stream, 74-year-old Leonard Sullivan, suffered serious but nonlife-threatening injuries. Both were transported to Sanford in Sioux Falls. Jessop was uninjured. All occupants were wearing seatbelts.

Jessop was taken into custody and charged with careless driving and driving with a suspended commercial driver's license.

Interstate traffic was rerouted north to Highway 38 while the crash site was cleared. The interstate was re-opened shortly after 4 p.m.

The Kenworth carried a load of about 25 blocks of cheese, with an estimated weight of 700 pounds per block.

Kansas Couple Speaks Out About Crash

By Courtney Zieller
Published: July 9, 2010, 5:57 PM

SIOUX FALLS, SD - A Kansas couple was on their way to Illinois when they were hit by a semi on Interstate 90 Thursday. Just after the driver, Betty Sullivan, was released from the hospital Friday afternoon, she went to see what's left of her RV and save any belongings. She says this whole experience has been eye-opening.

It all happened in the blink of an eye.

"The semi apparently came up behind me really fast and hit the back of my car. I felt the hit and next thing I know is that I'm being forced across the passing lane and into the median," Betty said.

Betty says that's when she lost control of the RV. But after 10 years of driving one, she says she knows what she's doing.

"I felt like, 'Oh dear. I'm a woman; they'll think it was my driving.' It was not my driving. It was the semi that hit me and I had no control," Betty said.

The 73 year old wasn't alone. Her husband, Leonard, was in the passenger seat because he had a broken foot. But it was something she did before she pulled onto the interstate that she says saved her life.

"Thank goodness for the seat belt and that's a good reminder for people to wear their seat belt all the time because you never know when something like this will come up," Betty said.

But Betty doesn't remember whether her husband, Leonard, did the same.

"I suspect he'd gotten up to reach for a map or something and that's my suspicion. I don't know that for sure but I think my seat belt gave way at some point before I stopped and his may have broken," Betty said.

Leonard was thrown from the RV and is still in hospital with a broken pelvis. Even officials say that's amazing considering what they were up against.

And while Betty will never forget this trip through South Dakota, she feels blessed to be able to tell her story.

"I feel extremely lucky. I've told so many people God's angels were with me," Betty said.

The couple has been retired for 10 years. Betty was a nursing professor and Leonard was a pediatrician in Wichita. Betty says the accident isn't stopping them from traveling again.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #2195
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
What a terrible wreck. They were returning from the rally in Gillette. Leonard and Betty are both Committee Chairpersons and made presentations at the IBT seminar.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #2196
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Today, RustyRivet saw a A/S passing thru Sandy OR (WB=I26) with a very long - 4 bike rack on the back of the TT. He came out of his office and said "did you see that A/S? It had 4 bikes on the back of the trailer. Well, I missed it, but we decided that they don't follow the forum. Hoope they don't have too much of a rearend problem. 4 bikes - wow - and we towed one time with 2, before learning that bikes don't belong on the back of a A/S
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #2197
4 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I saw three airstreams traveling around the fort bragg area this weekend, camped next to a great couple with a 1968 globetrotter in fort bragg, and saw an additional two in yards on Hwy20. A possible third tucked away but wasn't sure as at least one of my eyeballs had to stay on the road.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #2198
Rivet Master
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Bozeman siting

Saw an older airstream parked in downtown Bozeman, Montana yesterday - TV and AS had Illinois plates...

bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote

random sightings