Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Steven and Susan
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
Airstream scam in California

A couple in Concord, CA is advertising an 81 excella on Craigslist. If you deal with these folks, please exercise caution.

They cashed my friend's deposit check, and agreed to wait for a week before we would pick the camper up. In the mean time, they continued to advertise the trailer as available for sale.

When we arrived to pick up the trailer, they informed us that they had decided that the agreed-upon price was too low; they demanded additional money before they would conclude the sale. My friend said that they were welcome to sell the camper for more to someone else (depsite our having driven 3 hours to take possession) if they would refund his deposit. They refused, claiming to have already spent the money.

Police intervention was required to resolve this conflict. During the police involvement, problems were discovered with the title, despite assurances from the very beginning that the title was clear, and in the owner's name.

I can't tell you not to buy from these folks, but I'm telling you that if you do, or if you try to, make sure you document everything carefully, demand to see the title before you get too far into the process, and demand photo ID of the person claiming to be the owner.

ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Thanks for the heads-up, Steven. Did your friend get his deposit back? I would definitely keep a comfortable distance from these people.

TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Steven and Susan
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California

Yes, he got his deposit back, but it wouldn't have happened without the assistance of the local police.

These folks appear to belong to a community of con artists. The police said they have all kinds of trouble with scams from them. I would not be at all surprised to hear that they'd done the same thing to other prospective buyers who'd just walked away from their deposit, figuring it would be too difficult to get it back.
ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Like most private party advertising, Craigslist has its share of problems. But it also has some nice deals.

I bought a house on Craigslist last spring from an out-of-state owner. I had a local attorney draw up a deposit contract and hold my deposit money in escrow. Cost me $250. Unless buyer knows an attorney, that might be a bit expensive for an Airstream purchase but....just asking the seller if they are OK with such an arrangement will help sort out the bad apples.

Another thing to help protect internet based purchases is to ask if they would be willing to accept PayPal for the deposit. Established Paypal users at least have bank account and/or credit card.

Another option is to ask if they are willing to use an eBay registered escrow agent.

Just having that conversation will tell alot about the seller

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Steven, this must be the one:
It's listed in Modesto,Ca and their phone number puts them in Pittsburg
I flagged the ad

Reply to: see below
Date: 2007-09-11, 3:55PM PDT

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 420015944
AIR: 649
TAC: CA-40
Northern California Airstreamers
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
1968 26' Overlander
1983 31' Excella
Denver , Colorado
I have seen several Airstreams on EBay that were "too good to be true." Several listed the same trailer several times. I contacted EBay, asked them to investigate and they pulled the ads each time. Lyall
sherred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Coastalview
Steven, this must be the one:
It's listed in Modesto,Ca and their phone number puts them in Pittsburg
PLEASE CALL *******(925)497-3388.
PostingID: 420015944
My daughter and son-in-law live in Danville, CA...and their prefix IS 925...FYI...Tom R

TomR is offline   Reply With Quote