Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Airstream Safer Than Home in Hurricane?

Most of us have seen the old picture of the Airstream the government used in a nuclear bomb test. The unit suffered minor damage and a few dents. I posted a picture of an Airstream that rolled over during Hurricane Charley.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe staying in the Airstream might be a a safer place than the home during a hurricane. It would have to be anchored down, and the windows covered. But it's robust construction might be able to withstand the storm better than a stick house. What say ye?

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Most of us have seen the old picture of the Airstream the government used in a nuclear bomb test. The unit suffered minor damage and a few dents. I posted a picture of an Airstream that rolled over during Hurricane Charley.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe staying in the Airstream might be a a safer place than the home during a hurricane. It would have to be anchored down, and the windows covered. But it's robust construction might be able to withstand the storm better than a stick house. What say ye?
Hook it up head north to top of GA Airstream park and not find out. If house is still standing you will never know but you may never know if your in it when it hits.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Clearly it's good for 100mph into the wind. From the back the same. From the side is a big question. All the stuff flying around at 100mph will certainly give it more character than I want mine to have. Go North Young Man. Take the AS with you.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I don't think in a head-to-head with a hurricane, you'd want to be in either. Wind-wise, there's no roof to blow off. Advantage Airstream Fewer windows to blow out in the trailer. But it's much lighter, and anchoring it would never compare to a real foundation with rebar in concrete. Advantage house.

The ultimate test that most homes and all trailers would fail miserably, would be the one I've seen on countless shows on the Discovery Channel. When those winds get going, tree brances can wind up sticking straight out of cement walls. If you want to risk an oak passing through the middle of your trailer and out the other side, go ahead.

But if I lived anywhere near the path of what I saw on Al Roker's radar this morning, (currently twice the size of Charley) I'd head for 59toasters house with my '72 AS right behind me!
Old 09-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I live in Chattanooga. My driveway is available if anyone wants to use it. From the looks of everything, Frances is going to be bad! Besides I haven't had a hurricane party since I lived on the coast of Virginia. Might be fun!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
But if I lived anywhere near the path of what I saw on Al Roker's radar this morning, (currently twice the size of Charley) I'd head for 59toasters house with my '72 AS right behind me!
Well I could run you power out but unfortunatly it would not be enough for the A/C. I do have a drain clean out in my yard that I know exactly where it is and it's happens to be in the most level part of my yard. So I technically have single full hook up site as long as you don't run the A/C. LOL
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

You must be a glutton for punishment to even to think of putting an Airstream through a hurricane, unless you like to pull out dents and replace panels. Besides we all know that hurricanes and tornadoes love trailer’s and trailer parks.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
I don't think in a head-to-head with a hurricane, you'd want to be in either. When those winds get going, tree brances can wind up sticking straight out of cement walls. If you want to risk an oak passing through the middle of your trailer and out the other side, go ahead.
Brad called that one exactly right. Most injuries and deaths from wind phenomina are caused by flying debris. We all know how vulnerable Airstreams are to penetration damage. At 200mph anything flying and passing through the hull would undoubtedly be fatal.

I had the delightful experience of riding out a half-dozen lesser typhoons on Guam from '76-'79, and arrived three days after supertyphoon Pamela levelled a good deal of the island. We parked our patrol vehicles in the lee of our concrete office building when the winds got high enough to make them unstable (around 80mph). At 125mph it was interesting to stand in the lee of the building and chuck coconuts into the gale to see how far they'd carry (I was still young, stupid, and invincible then). A couple of coconuts at 125 mph would hit just like cannon balls. We thought it was great entertainment, but I sure wouldn't want to have been on the receiving end of one!

I'd opt for a reinforced concrete structure and hope for the best for my Airstream.

Roger
Old 09-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
In any case those of you in Florida are in for a big one this time.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...0204-1815z.jpg

Good luck
Old 09-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
In any case those of you in Florida are in for a big one this time.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...0204-1815z.jpg

Good luck

Oof....

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Looks like I will be doing this again...

For Charley, I strapped my trailer to the ground, and we never got any wind. Tomorrow I will have to do the same routine because we will certainly be getting something this time around.

I used 2" angle steel about 6' long, and pounded them in to the ground on an angle. Then I cranked both the front and rear of the trailer down with 5000 lb. straps. That, and the stabilizers down, with large blocks in front and back of the wheels, and a full 50 gallons of fresh water for weight. If the trailer survives, and the house doesn't, I will at least have a place to live. I'm betting on the house and not the trailer! Hopefully both will survive, and I will use the trailer for cooking and fresh and hot water when the power and water are out. I have gas for the generator too!

Here are some pix of the previous tie down. Wish us luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strap1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	8584   Click image for larger version

Name:	strap2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	8585  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
I used 2" angle steel about 6' long, and pounded them in to the ground on an angle. Then I cranked both the front and rear of the trailer down with 5000 lb. straps. That, and the stabilizers down, with large blocks in front and back of the wheels, and a full 50 gallons of fresh water for weight. Here are some pix of the previous tie down. Wish us luck!
Barry, looks like what I had rigged up for mine, but I wound up pulling it up and leaving, so I don't know if it works or not. You can always come down here and stay at the farm if you think it would be safer...
Terry
Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Barry, looks like what I had rigged up for mine, but I wound up pulling it up and leaving, so I don't know if it works or not. You can always come down here and stay at the farm if you think it would be safer...
Terry
Thanks Terry. I have no idea if the straps will help, but it couldn't hurt. Based on the accuracy of the weather guys in the past, I think if they say it isn't going to hit us directly in Tampa, that it is time to worry.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Pick.

A 31 foot 1973 Airstream trailer, was towed at 115 mph. Obviously with no damage.

Towing a typical home at that same speed, would be nothing but a disaster.

Therefore the Airstream was designed to take tremendous winds. A typical home was not.

Andy