Old 08-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When hurricane Charlie came up the Florida west coast, I had my plan, Take the MH and go to Orlando. However, when I got to Orlando, people were fleeing and there were many large trees, so I continued to Daytona. I was there for three hours when the sheriff came through announcing an evacuation. Seems Charlie turned inland. (The funny thing is my neighbor in the Daytona campground by sheer luck, lived two blocks from my home in Tampa.
I sat with a map, not knowing what to do, and decided to go west towards Ocala. It was black to the south. I spent the night in a campground in Bushnell, where we were huddled like wagons in a wagon train. The next day, I returned home to find I didn't even have a tree limb down. But I'd do the same again.
The hurricane hit Orlando and Daytona, chased me all over the state!
Take the RV, you might need a place to live.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes. Because you can have some form of shelter when you leave threat area.... even if you end up stuck in traffic.. And, we really like having our home and all the things that give a semblane of comfort...go along with us...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The reason we have a recreational VEHICLE is because it has wheels. It can go elsewhere. Okay, if an Airstream is parked at an Airstream-only park that is threatened by a hurricane and the owner is far enough away that it would be impossible to move the coach, then the Airstream probably stands a better chance of surviving the hurricane than most other coaches. If the owner IS around, though, the smart thing would be to hook up and go elsewhere.

Last year we checked out a couple of Escapees Co-ops, one of which was, arguably, in Tornado Alley. I was surprised at the number of rigs that haven't moved in years, and couldn't be moved without a LOT of effort - and those were the towables! At least one motorhome hasn't moved in 10 years.

If you have an RV, the smart choice is to move it (and yourself) to a safe location. It isn't just the wind and rain, but the loss of utilities and other services. Staying in a dangerous location when you don't have to is being a bit selfish, in my opinion. There are lots of people who don't have a choice - they HAVE to stay in the danger zone. Why make their job harder? If you can, please go to a safe place away from the area that is already stressed.

Just my opinion.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote