Old 09-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
I am with 59Toaster . I am heading to TOG Airstream park tomorrow myself . We are having a rally this weekend and you and anyone else in the hurricanes path can come and join us. We will have a good time. The park is located 5 miles North of Helen, GA on state road 75 . Davis

Old 09-02-2004, 06:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi from "sunny Florida"

Anyone on the east coast is welcome to tie up in our driveway, or like Terry said, out at the farm. I will be at work from tomorrow morning until when, but anyone is welcome.
Marie

Old 09-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Pick.

A 31 foot 1973 Airstream trailer, was towed at 115 mph. Obviously with no damage.

Towing a typical home at that same speed, would be nothing but a disaster.

Therefore the Airstream was designed to take tremendous winds. A typical home was not.

Andy
Umm, I probably shouldn't admit this, but I towed my trailer at 95 mph for a brief time, it handled very well at that speed.
I also towed it during the recent Charley fracas, and got hit a couple of times with 80+mph crosswinds. I took up both Eastbound lanes, but at no time did it feel like it was about to turn over.
Two Airstreams are in a trailer park in Punta Gorda, where most of the other trailers are demolished. They would both be undamaged, except a large tree fell on one, damaging it, and the other one lost the roof A/C unit. Interestingly, they are both still occupied, and livable, although the one that had the close encounter with a tree will have to be retired.
Terry
Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Thanks for all the advice. Since I work for the regional utility down here, on the communications side, I have to stay. At this time, it appears that the track is going further South down towards Tampa. May have dodged the bullet again this time. We will probably get some 40+ MPH winds, so I will still have to take some measure to secure the Airstream.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Never ending interest in this question.

It's always the wind-blown debris.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Please note the dates of this thread...'04.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When Hurricane Isaac was coming to Louisiana a few years ago, an Airstreaming couple that I know who live in Braithewaite (outside the New Orleans hurricane protection levee system) towed their Airstream to safety, and then went back home. They had to be rescued off their roof by a boat. So while they didn't lose their Airstream or its contents, they lost their tow vehicle because they took it back home with them. Along with their home and everything else they owned. To this day I still wonder why they didn't stay with their Airstream. They still say they went back to protect their home. Lot of good that did them.

Sticking around for a hurricane is never a good idea if you have any choice in the matter. The whole point of being an RV owner (whether Airstream or SOB) is mobility, so it makes sense to be mobile and move out of the affected area to someplace that will have open grocery stores and gas stations, drinkable water, etc. and will not have roving looters, blocked streets, interrupted emergency services, disease-laden mosquitoes breeding in standing stormwaters, etc.

Full disclosure, when I worked for the Corps of Engineers, I was in the field doing post-hurricane damage assessments in the Lake Charles area less than 24 hours after Hurricane Rita passed, when there was still standing saltwater over some of the roads. For Hurricane Andrew I was at my desk working, along with just 6 other people out of over 800 employees who either evacuated or stayed home instead of going to work. For hurricane Juan, Hurricane Gustav, and many others, I rode out the storm at home. For Hurricane Georges, I attended a hurricane party in my apartment complex's courtyard, because an engineer friend of mine at NASA and I computed that there wasn't enough energy in the Gulf to turn the storm far enough to hit us. But all of those were before I had my Airstream, and while I still worked for an agency that provided emergency services, so I had to stick close to home so I could go back to work as soon as possible after the storm.

Nowadays, being retired and owning an Airstream, even a Cat1 will get me moving out of the affected area long before the storm makes landfall. It's just another— and very compelling— excuse to go camping far inland.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Please note the dates of this thread...'04.
Still a valid topic, given current events in Texas.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In the context of Texas, I don't think an AS will float very well. Storm surge / flooding is going to make either your home or your trailer a total mess. Even if the storm doesn't nuke you directly, no food in the stores, no water in the pipes, no power, no fuel .... all for maybe weeks .... your AS isn't much help there either.

Hurricane party sounds like fun? How quiet is your AS in a normal storm? How well do you sleep with a major racket going on? Rocking around in the wind ... hmmm ... Does no sleep for a week sound like fun? Not to me ...

Go mobile, it's a big country !!!

Bob
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Refreshing to see an old thread picked up, as the topic is as "on topic" as one can get. [you may not be surprised to hear . . . ]

Plus 50 years from now, the pause from 2004 to 2017 won't seem like that long a time, to the future AS owners in Earth Year 002,067 !!!

Life is short!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- And yes the AS is safer than home when it is 500 miles away from a home which is under water!
Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The best feature of an Airstream in case of a hurricane is the tires.

Move the Airstream where the hurricane ain't.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

In the context of Texas, I don't think an AS will float very well. Storm surge / flooding is going to make either your home or your trailer a total mess. Even if the storm doesn't nuke you directly, no food in the stores, no water in the pipes, no power, no fuel .... all for maybe weeks .... your AS isn't much help there either.

Hurricane party sounds like fun? How quiet is your AS in a normal storm? How well do you sleep with a major racket going on? Rocking around in the wind ... hmmm ... Does no sleep for a week sound like fun? Not to me ...

Go mobile, it's a big country !!!

Bob
The point has always been to leave. Doesn't mean high winds won't be about. At least this type RV can get somewhere that is AWAY. Or be tied off. The box RVs are sometimes best abandoned. They only have a few years in them anyway. Any wind above 25-mph is too much when crossways to travel.

And some of this type might float, if not well. There are pics on this site of a smaller Streamline that survived flooding in Florida by not completely sinking. Tethered to a utility pole.

An old acquaintance had a 30' Silver Streak in the PNW that was flooded by several feet above floorline. They took it apart and put it back together. A surprisingly small amount of wood replaced.

The "best" TT is one that is always ready to go. Or can be with a few hours labor.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #27

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The "best" TT is one that is always ready to go. Or can be with a few hours labor.
Amen!

I make a point of keeping my Airstream ready to go throughout hurricane season. A week's worth of clothes, non-perishable foods (the Airstream's fridge being reserved for whatever comes out of my home fridge since the power will go out and the food left behind will be ruined anyway), water and fuel, already loaded. All I have to do to bug out is grab phone and charger, laptop, prescription meds, the cat and her supplies, food from the fridge, and my keys, hitch up the Honda behind the motorhome, and go. One hour, tops. Every June I practice just to make sure that if I have to do it for real I can.

Not every hurricane that threatens the Gulf gives a lot of advance warning. Some form in the Gulf and are within a day or two of landfall from Day One.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Not every hurricane that threatens the Gulf gives a lot of advance warning. Some form in the Gulf and are within a day or two of landfall from Day One.
Hi

Not every hurricane does what the forecast track suggests it will. That's every bit as true on the coast of Connecticut as the coast of Texas. I won't get into the whole issue of "hurricane force" numbers other than to mention that they very much do *not* tell the whole story .... If you live in New England, not every "time to take action" bad storm has "hurricane" in it's name.....

Airstream or not, be ready to leave. Have a plan in place. Stay informed. If you don't have to execute the plan, that's ok. Packing the meds into a bag isn't all that hard .... Who knows you might even decide to *scan* all that paperwork rather than haul it along with you. Give you something to do while watching the Weather Channel

Bob