Old 09-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short
Wink Airstream, my dirty little secret.

When I purchased my '75 Sovereign recently, I drove about 1000 miles roundtrip to pick it up. I didn't pay for it until I saw it in person, and I asked 100's of questions before I left. Of course, It should come as no surprise to anyone then, that as we pulled into the sellers property in the middle of nowhere, my pal looked over at me and said, " the old guys smoking a cigarette, did you know he smoked?" Well, I asked every question in the world, do you actually think I would drive all the way here, money in my pocket, completely prepared to buy this trailer and 'not' ask if he smoked? What are ya think'n, of course I forgot to ask.

Having already ripped all fabrics, screens, mattresses and such out of it, I was prepared for a quick cleaning and to install fresh replacements for all the removed items. Do you people realize how many nooks and crannies there are in a 31' Airstream? I just spent 6 hours of non-stop cleaning, getting rid of accumilated dirt and smoke film from every surface, cabinet, drawer, ceiling and wall. I started at the front of the trailer and worked my way back, cleaning, wiping and drying as I went. I worked and worked and worked. At the end of the day, I made it all the way back to the front door. THE FRONT DOOR! That's only about 4' of Airstream! I'm going to have to restore this thing again before I finish cleaning it. After seeing how dirty everything is, and how filthy the drawers and little hidey-holes are, I'd be afraid to put any of my stuff in it untill it's clean.

On the upside, I feel very comfortable now, knowing how clean all the areas I got are, and I know when I'm done (around June of 2006) I'll feel comfortable stuffing it to it's aluminum gills with all the things I need to live in it for the next year. Another good thing is, how great the clean parts look. The bad part is, now that part of it is clean, it makes the rest look 'really' bad. Oh well, such is life. It's in a beautiful spot though, and I can't wait to start living in it full time. This Airstream stuff really gets in your blood.

(Doctor Wally: Well Mr. Alger, your test results are back, and I'm a little confused. Your blood test shows normal platlets, and the corpuscles seem fine, but there's tiny bits of aluminum floating around in there, do you know what it could be? John: That depends, do the pieces of aluminum have tiny blue awnings sticking out from them?)

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Angry know the feeling

Hello and Welcome.
When we purchased our Argosy.. it had not been used for 3 years and was stuffed with junk.. got a very good deal on it. Well it has been a great rehab.. Try MEAN GREEN from Walmart .. it gets rid of everything.. smoke..age.. and mildew.. just need to be careful and not get it on any polished aluminum.. worked great on the inside walls and ceiling.Looks like a new trailer.. now just have to fix the front floor and all new underbelly to be put on.. and the works continues.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote