Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Airstream Manuals Reprints

Hi folks,I found this on eBay and was wondering if anyone else has bought one? And if so are they any good? If not does anyone know of any other sources for these manuals? Can I just get them from airstream? How expensive? Is it actually worth it to have a manual like this?

eBay Motors: 1974 Airstream Factory Service Manual (item 260065182652 end time Dec-20-06 17:56:09 PST)

Here's a preview shot of the airstream on looking at presently. That is if anyone's interested. I am in negotiation at this very moment.

SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
welcome

and we hope you are a new owner soon.
I have seen the ebay ads for quite a while, so the feedback should tell the tale, check that aspect.
The Airstream company does not sell the ones for older models, however, there is a lady in Jackson Center who does have them and sells photocopies of them. As for the benefit, any thing I can find when I am working on one, I count as beneficial. Do a search on this site through the forums section or on airstream.com. One of the two sites should yeild contact information.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The Airstream company store at Airstream, Inc. :: Travel in Style currently lists Owners' manuals for most years and service manuals for a lot of the key years. FWIW I have service manuals for 1975 and 1976 and 1980 and there is very little difference in between the years. If you can get one close to your year you will be fine. From what I have discovered the manuals are not all that accurate, apparently Airstream made many running changes during production that may or may not have made the manual for that year and in many cases never made the manual at all. From what I have heard of the photo copied ones is they are better than nothing, but barely and are more expensive than the factory reprints.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
ebay airstream manuals

I bought a 1972 manual, and I have found it very helpful despite the fact that my trailer is a 1970 model. Unfortunately they did not make manuals until 1972. The exploded drawings are great. The manual I got on ebay is professionally done and I believe it is worth the money.
gparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
That looks like a very nice unit . The Service Manual as well as the Owners Manual are very usefull . The ones from Secreterial Services are full copies of the originals . You could ask the seller on Ebay where they are from . Occasionally originals show up on Ebay also . Good luck with your new rig .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Does anyone think the standard Airstream Service Manual would be helpful for Argosys? I sure would like something like that.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Does anyone think the standard Airstream Service Manual would be helpful for Argosys? I sure would like something like that.
Yes. In many ways the systems on the two are very similar, usually with the Argosy being a bit more on the KISS principle. I know the Argys had different floor layouts, but probably used very similar hardware and techniques for the cabinetry, wiring and plumbing. IMHO the manuals are great for reference but they aren't infallible.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
$50 for a copy seems to me a bit expensive... I've got for less than that and it's an original (more valuable, a copy cost nothing). If this guy sales only copies at this price, he can stop his work and only do that as his job....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Saablover,
There is a '76 service manual on ebay at 8.99 , ends today, also an owners manual .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #10
Craftsman

Hold out for an original if you can . The photo copy reprints are awful ( from the lady who does the reprints , forget her name) and I paid $75.00 for mine. A total rip off if you ask me.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Just a final follow up on the factory service manual. I checked out his feedback, all very positive. So as per that as I generally do I ordered the manual. It came yesterday from Canada, Victoria, British Columbia. The postage was a little high but the shipper actually paid more than he charged me to ship it from Canada. I feel that this reproduction was done very professionally probably printed with a laser printer which made it very clean and clear the binding was that plastic solid back binding which is very adequate. Paper quality was very good the font that was a used which was the original font size which was very small but probably the same as the original. Definitely needed reading glasses to read it but that was probably because Airstream was trying to save on paper as this thing was 300 pages long a larger font were made it another hundred pages. So I can definitely recommend this seller as a source for these manuals if you cannot find the original. I will now order the owner's manual reproduction from him as well. For those who are interested I will include his seller site on eBay. I have absolutely no connection to him but would consider him a good source for these manuals.
Thank You, SaabLover

eBay Seller: vox231: Nonfiction Books, Parts Accessories items on eBay.com
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Has anyone else wondered how someone can make a copy of a book and sell it. Wouldn't the copywrite laws cover these books? If Airstream has given permission to do this, it would be fine. I doubt the seller on ebay has permission to do it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote