Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
nds
3 Rivet Member

Airstream Manuals

I’ve seen a lady’s name mentioned that can provide some Airstream owners and service manuals. But, are they also available from Airstream?

A friend is getting ready to install a Penguin AC in his 1970 Safari. We’ve read that there is a condense drain (hose) that runs from one of the vents and has been pre-wired for the AC. We’ve read that you need to call Airstream and they will tell you where to locate this.

Does Airstream offer instructions for installing, or just verbally tell you over the phone where to locate the wiring and drain?

I wonder why Airstream doesn’t consider offering owner and service manuals in PDF’s that you could download from their web site at a reasonable fee.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Sure would be nice of they did!

I used to own a 1986 sob and was able to go to their web site and order an owners manual for $20.

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a manual for a '65 Globetrotter?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream Manuals

Greetings NDS and Diana!

The contact information for Helen Davis at Secretarial Services is as follows (quoted from the VAC web site):

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?

A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information
RE: Locating Air Conditioner

The location for the air conditioner very well may not be one of the existing vent openings. With both my '64 Overlander and the '78 Argosy, the air conditioner was a "cut-in" operations at a point that was measured from the front-most roof "bow". In both cases, my dealer, Ace Fogdall RV, obtained the necessary measurements from Airstream - - in the '64 it was replacing an original Armstrong Bay Breeze and in the '78 Argosy it was an enitrely new installation.

While for many projects the '72 Service Manual would likely be applicable to your '70 model trailer - - I would hesitate to trust its measurements for air conditioner installation on an earlier trailer, but this information is readily available to Airstream dealers from Airstream - - and possibly to owners as well through customer support.

RE: '65 Owner's Manual

I have seen a few original '65 Owner's Manuals offered on E-Bay, and at least one or two offered at the Flea Market that is a part of the WBCCI International Rally. They typically sell for between $40 and $70 depending upon condition. The manuals from Secretarial Services will be photo copies, but the ones that I have seen are complete. Unless the '65 manual is significantly improved from the '64 it will be very generic as to systems operation - - it appears that the assumption was that the owner would use the individual manuals and brochures to learn about the installed options.

RE: Manual Availability via Net

I suspect that a big part of the reason that manuals were made avaialbe through Secretarial Services was to insure their continued availability, and to keep from overloading the office staff at corporate headquarters - - and I suspect that time/cost considerations are also a part of the reason that these documents aren't made available via the net - - the time committment can be considerable to scan and compile such a document into pdf format - - then the issue of drive space necessary to store these documents as well the bandwidth requirements (read cost) to offer such service to the public via a web site can also become an issue.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:26 PM   #4
nds
3 Rivet Member

Thanks OL64.

I sure hope your wrong about the AC not using one of the existing roof vents. Although we were pretty sure that the vent would still need to be cut open some, it would be a lot better and easier than having to cut a whole new hole.

He still needs to contact Airstream to get the location of the wiring and drip hose. If it turns out that an existing vent isn't used, then he may want to get estimates at some RV dealerships to have it installed. That's up to him.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Air Conditioners are not mounted in a "vent" in the Airstream product line.

A 14" x 14" hole must be cut in the roof and ceiling. The AC dedicated wire and drain line are built in since 1969. The wiring only was built in starting in 1964.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
If you are going to install an air conditioner, you will need the drip pan for the Duo-Therm Penguin. You can get it from Airstream for about $85. It mates to the Penguin and to the curved roof of the A/S. You will also need to make a 14"X14" wood frame to fit between the inner and outer skin of the coach to support the unit.

I just had a Penguin installed in my 78 Excella and I watched the installers do it. They used a fork lift to pick up the A/C unit and place it. It is heavy and you will need help getting it up there without damaging the coach.

Good luck with your project.

Vic

PS I have scanned the Service Manual for the 1978 31' Excella and have it on CD in JPG format for anyone who wants it. No Charge
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:54 AM   #7
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
Air Conditioners are not mounted in a "vent" in the Airstream product line.

A 14" x 14" hole must be cut in the roof and ceiling. The AC dedicated wire and drain line are built in since 1969. The wiring only was built in starting in 1964.

Andy
Andy, can you tell us where the A/C should be installed?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The exact location for proper installation of an Air Conditioner, depends on the year and length.

What year and length are you working on. If not sure, list your serial number.

Andy
Old 07-06-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Manuals

Andy, the VIN number is B23DOJ141. 1970 Safari 23 ft.

Thanks,
bds

>The exact location for proper installation of an Air Conditioner, >depends on the year and length.

>What year and length are you working on. If not sure, list your >serial number.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brian.

The cutout should be centered 98 inches rearward from station zero.

Station zero is the first main bow.

Andy
Old 07-06-2003, 03:31 PM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy.

I'm sure there may be a question or two again.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy....if I could just get one clarification, as a new airstream Owner, may I assume the "first main bow" is that first main support rib at the intersection of the compound curve of the front wall and the horizontal section of the roofline?

Thanks,
Brian Sawyer

>Brian.

>The cutout should be centered 98 inches rearward from station >zero.

>Station zero is the first main bow.

>Andy
Old 07-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brian.

Correct.

Another way of making super sure, is using the awning rail as your guide.

The front edge of the awning rail is staion zero. The rear end of the rail is the last main bow.

Stepping forward or rearward of the awning rail, will result in segment damage.

Andy