Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #81
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Which door lock is this? Is it the lock used on the classic motorhomes?
It's some motorhomes, but I believe the majority was put in 1970's trailers.
It is the rectangular lock assembly with the potmetal recessed handle. At least that is the one I was talking about. I heard that others aren't available any more either, and some vendors have created conversion items to use regularly available lock assemblies.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #82
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think we are talking about the KT lock which was used from 73-77. I have one and someday I will ned to install the replacement kit that Andy sell at his site.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
It is my understanding that the Bargman-77 door lock is also no longer available. Only the cylinder can be replaced, but if the handle or mechanism is damaged or broken there are no replacement options.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
It is my understand that the Bargman-77 door lock is also no longer available. Only the cylinder can be replaced, but if the handle or mechanism is damaged or broken there are no replacement options.

I believe you are correct, I was trying to make the point that Lynn's statement was not accurate, although I assume (and believe) it was well intentioned.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Frankly, now that I think about it, the Bargman-77 lock may be unavailable because Bargman stopped making it. And I totally understand holding a slow-moving parts inventory isn't cost effective. And I'm sure if I showed up to Jackson Center for work on my 1960 I wouldn't be turned away providing what I want is within the scope of services offered. And I know first-hand that emails from vintage owners are answered. I was happy when sent a scan of a 1961 or 62 Tradewind brochure after requesting the original wheel and tire specs for the 1960 Tradewind.

Yes, I believe that Lynn is well intentioned, and if Airstream representatives are watching this forum or thread, I appreciate that you folks are interested in what the Airstream population (vintage and new) has to say. My point is not that Airstream has total disregard for the vintage community, but that Airstream could do a better job marketing their services to, fostering the loyalty of, and learning from vintage owners. This is especially true since, as Lynn says, "more airstreamers are resurrecting the older models". Why are more Airstreamers opting for vintage over new? It's not always about money, the cost of vintage ownership over time can approximate the cost of new ownership. More "maybes" ~ maybe this is a question Airstream should ask.

I'm part of the problem if I don't offer some solutions. So some ideas:
  • If Airstream has old documents or brochures pertaining to vintage models, make them easily accessible to vintage owners and available online. Add them to your new website. The VAC has some great info available, but by no means has everything that might be out there.
  • Has Airstream ever thought about a vintage owner's registry? Using contact info within a registry Airstream could mass mail/email regarding services or events that would interest vintage owners.
  • When Airstream has "new" old stock they wish to remove from inventory (and I know they have done this, even recently) why not advertise through AIRforums, VAC, Tin Can Tourist, etc., (or through a registry ) and offer sale to vintage owners before selling parts off to a salvage company.
Just a little brainstorming, but it has to start somewhere . . .
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
We have heard back from them and I have had two very nice phone conversations with a represenative for the company doing the follow-up of the survey. The gentleman is actually coming to visit us later this week!
I heard from Kevin too. He wanted to visit me as well, but I declined due to a very busy schedule ferrying a sick dog to Boston everyday for radiation treatments!

I would like to know how your experience was.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
I heard from Kevin too. He wanted to visit me as well, but I declined due to a very busy schedule ferrying a sick dog to Boston everyday for radiation treatments!

Mary
Mary

Good luck with the puppy. It is very stressful when our four legged companions are not well.

Barry
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Thanks Barry. There happens to be a woman from Montreal who brings her pup to this same hospital every week for treatment.

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
So did anyone go to the Orange County, CA survey meet-up in Brea? I totally messed up and thought it was THIS Thursday, and not LAST Thursday! Ugh!
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #90
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I think it is ironic that Airstream likes to brag about the percentage of all the trailers they have built being on the road today, but doing very little to support the trailers and the owners that make that number a reality.

I needed a drip cap for my 1962 so I contacted the parts department at Airstream and was told the parts end at 1969...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625

Mary

I offered to meet him half way, and do it for free.
No response.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #92
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Cool airstream vintage and new

i would have to agree with 90% of what everyone has said about A/S.
if there not careful there going to do what Harley Davidson has done in the past 5-10 years. they will advertise on there heritage and then turn there back's on the guy/gals that ride the older bikes,
what am trying to say is if A/S keep's the people that already own there product happy with parts avalibility, literature, and good customer service. they will be able to keep a excllent product and reputation. usually people will buy a new one when they know a company has a good reputation and product (EX: toyota)
personaly that was one of the biggest reason's that i bought an airstream. you would think this company would listen to your suggestions on there product. since your only trying to help them make there product even better
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote