Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Airstream - How Can You Get Some Things so Right....and Other Things so.....

....WRONG???

Well, today I decided to open the storage bin under the dinette bench. I think this was the second time I have opened it since purchase. When I went to close it, it would not latch. Seems those cheap plastic black things have gone kaput already. So now it's hanging open like an outhouse door after a Saturday-night brew 'n bustup. Anyone else with the same problem?

Upon closer inspection, the finishing on the far end of that door lip isn't exactly spectacular, is it?

Besides that, the first time I lifted my mattress up to access the under-bed storage compartment, the struts holding the mattress up wouldn't release. No bloomin' way. So, had to take them off to get the mattress back down.

No great tragedy in the scope of things....but annoying just the same. Another little thing that has to be attended to when the unit goes in for dewinterization - while it's still under warranty.

All-in-all I am pleased with my trailer, but I wish Airstream wouldn't cheap-out those things that are "outta sight" because these glitches do not keep them "outta mind."
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, those cabinet latches aren't really that bad, but they can come loose. They need to be adjusted properly and then they work great. If you look at the plastic part located on the door, it is probably loose. See if you can push it up and down. The slots for the screws are for adjustment. Usually you can see the impressions left by the screws, when in their correct position. This will make the adjustment easier. Also look at the part of the latch mounted on the divider, They, also can come loose, but rarely.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hi Robert; those screws on both components are tighter than a what not. No give up and down at all.

Blinkin' thing won't stay shut unless I stick something in to hold it to the frame.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
FAN,

We have had some problems with those latches also. One of them would slip into its "closed" position while the under bench cabinet door was open. I tried a number of ways to get it back into "open" position. The best tool turned out to be the cork screw on our wine opener. I just sort of "screw" it in and pull the latch open. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

We had a similar problem with the gas piston struts on our bed. I called the PO to see what the "trick" was to close it without breaking anything, he said just put your weight into it and it would close without a problem. He was correct, it closed just fine, but it still makes me nervious each time we access the underbed storage that way so we mostly use the access openings on each side of the bed and at the foot of the bed. Hope these suggestions work for you on your rig.

Good luck,
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hi Scott. I took them off. (struts) I don't think I'll put them back on. Will probably put a good ol' cut-off broom handle under the bed to use as a prop up for those occasional times I need to raise the mattress. Or else I'll just access from the side like you do.

I know what you mean by that "nervous" thing. Cripes...I don't want to take any more "nervous" along for the ride.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Same problem in our 2011 International Serenity. One of the black catches went in to the permanently closed position and even though I could coax it back to open with a screwdriver, it would get stuck again pretty quickly. I just happened to be passing the dealer's place so called in; they gave me a couple of spares, free and for nothing as the trailer is under warranty, and I swapped the bad one out. It is annoying that Airstream uses such cheap components but at least the issue is minor and easily resolved.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We had to have AS send us six of the infamous black latches, all broke within 4 trips. Careful alignment when re-installing solved the problem, (along with a bit of dielectric grease), just another case of.....well never mind, lets just say they had a bad day.

FWIW....Used some velcro while waiting for the parts.

Bob
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
We had to have AS send us six of the infamous black latches, all broke within 4 trips. Careful alignment when re-installing solved the problem, (along with a bit of dielectric grease), just another case of.....well never mind, lets just say they had a bad day.

FWIW....Used some velcro while waiting for the parts.

Bob
Velcro is amazing stuff! I used it to secure some of the switch boxes that Airstream elected to leave floating in the stereo installation. Funny how annoying a sound a hard plastic box makes when it is sitting on a speaker...... bad day???

I like the process of "adjusting" the fit of things on our trailer and on our boat too. I believe that no one will be as fussy as I am and that when I am finished things will be the best! In this world of computer controlled everything a simple adjustment brings me much joy..... Sigh.
Bruce
Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Wow... I had to replace one or two of those in the 18-year-old B190 and I think the trailer has perhaps one that's bad that I haven't bothered to swap yet...but otherwise they've been fine for me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
It helps to be handy

.....if you own one of these things, or any type of travel trailer. It is not quite as bad with Airstreams but manufacturers generally sling them together, then expect their dealers to straighten them out. And no one is going to take the time to fix things like you would yourself. Talking here about those little annoying things like catches, hinges, straps, knobs, drawer slides,etc, etc.

They are best fixed yourself, with common sense and a little TLC. The more you can do the better off you will be.

Safe and happy travels.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"Velcro is amazing stuff! I used it to secure some of the switch boxes that Airstream elected to leave floating in the stereo installation."

It's still holding one of our speakers, replacing three "air screws" and one wood screw. No good vibrations now.

Bob
Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
All of my black latches either failed, or have needed constant attention since the first year of ownership. I have some metal latches that are used on boats that I'll eventually use to replace the originals. I've learned to accept these minor imperfections and inferior components as part of the modern Airstream experience. American icon on the outside, SOB on the inside.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I was thinking of using these, with the NSC82 add-on for the under bed doors if the plastic ones broke again, they haven't so I haven't.

Bob
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Annoying though it is, I shall look to replace these latches with something more robust if we get any more failures. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives on the market.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
When I purchased my 2001 ASCL 31’ almost all of the cabinet doors and overhead locker doors were mal-adjusted and thus hard to latch/unlatch; I guess due to the haste of manufacture. I adjusted all of the offending doors and then slathered a little Chap Stick on each latch interface which has since allowed every door to latch with only the closing hinge spring momentum.

Additionally, all of the overhead doors only had one spring strut supporting them which would not hold them all of the way up. The first time I was at Jackson Center I purchased additional spring struts so that each locker door now has two each.

Also, the outside storage compartment door locks had to be adjusted and oiled to work seamlessly.

Most of the window latches were OK, with only a few needing adjustment.

The more you adjust and fix, the more the AS is “yours”, until after a few years you may be able to say that it’s ALL “YOURS”.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
The two pillows that came with the trailer - totally useless!

I never used them - put them in the overhead bin. They fell apart when I pulled them back out.

Airstream, I love the orange bedspread; it's so well-made and warm, but those pillows!....

Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

......you got pillows for your bed?

We got about a dozen of those square upholstered pavement stones.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00133.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	188843  
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bob, those pillows would come in mighty handy, though.....
as wheel chocks!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had to chuckle when I saw the photo of the pillows....as I recall immediately taking them to the trash. Even my basset hounds have better stuffing in their toys than what came in those pillows....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Update: The dealer replaced the problem catches with something really, really good. I've hit a few potholes and lept a few curbs - violently! - all the cabinets have stayed closed.

The pillows have been replaced with ones from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Problem solved.

One thing that has always been "so right" is the furnace. Holy Moly, it was cold last night. Minus 25C inside the trailer when it was time to go beddy-bye. Jacked the furnace up to 75F and jumped into bed as fast as I could. Woke up two hours sweating! The inside was like Death Valley in July. Turned the furnace down to 65F and was really comfortable the rest of the night.