Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Airstream holding their value?

We have a 2010 27fb Classic "Limited" and it is truly a joy to look at, but, we spent a few days in the rain and got a little crazy and we feel that we might have made the wrong purchase choice.
On one of the rainy days we took a ride to a couple RV dealers to look around, mainly at higher end 5th wheels.
Both dealers were offering us in the $49,900.00 to $53,000.00 range for a trade, give me break!!!
Part of the challenge was they were not knowlegable of Airstream's and didn't really get it.
So I went to the dealer I bought it from thinking things would be different and they sell other types and makes RV's.
They were at around 20K less then we paid for it and gave me a rant about there not being a market for a used 2010 model, what??
We would rather not sell her, but we also need to feel comfortable and happy campers.

Please let us know if anyone has experienced orheard of similar situations with Airstreams sales or trades.
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
A travel trailer is not an investment, it's a purchase. You will always face considerable depreciation for the first several years of ownership. However, that being said, take a look at several of the big white boxes for sale that are one or two years old. It's pretty easy to find one that is priced at under half of its original price when new. All in all, an Airstream will hold its value better than its competitors, but it's going to depreciate. That's just a fact of life.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
It used to be the rule that Dealers only give in trade what the bank will loan a person to buy the unit, however in these depressed ecnomic times it is a hard reality that the loan amount is what they are being sold for...So the new rule for what you get in trade is below wholesale or loan value...There has never been any consideration for options or adds to the unit either, all calculations are at the basic Model value...I know all this is hard to swallow...

Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg N Cindy View Post
It used to be the rule that Dealers only give in trade what the bank will loan a person to buy the unit, however in these depressed ecnomic times it is a hard reality that the loan amount is what they are being sold for...So the new rule for what you get in trade is below wholesale or loan value...There has never been any consideration for options or adds to the unit either, all calculations are at the basic Model value...I know all this is hard to swallow...

Greg
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It won't cost you a thing to stay the course. You have made a wonderful decision to purchase the 27' Airstream, don't let a rainy day deter you.

Those fifth wheels are butt-ugly inside and out. There is a quality about an Airstream that is above materials and assembly. It is a beautiful, natural expression of purpose that makes you feel good each morning; looking at it makes you smile. Take a look at that slab of plastic with the ridiculous scrolls all over the side. Yuk!

There are more sunny days than rain, and they will be much more pleasant in your Airstream. You made no mistake.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Laura

I have a 2010 classic. If I sold it tomorrow I would expect to lose $20k against what I paid.

I am not selling tomorrow. I see it as a 20 year purchase that will depreciate on more or less of a straight line basis, considering the utility I get out of it and the fact that the maintenance costs are low.

I like my traylah, like it a lot. It works for me for two adults and three kids in the rain. And I've cooked for 6 adults in the rain, which went fine. I would not want a big 5er or big MH.

Living in a small space is a skill that takes practice. Start with the attitude that...: Space does not equal wealth. Consider that there is no traylah large enough to hold all the things you don't need but which you could possibly bring anyway.

And with the Airstream you will never be stuck at a campground unable to leave because you can't get the slideout to slide in or the automatic electric step to retract the way it's supposed to.

Not sure exactly what you ran into or how many people you travel with, but a 27' trailer is a big trailer.

Bigger than some of my friends' apartments.

I would encourage you to post up the specifics of the problems you've had. People here are helpful.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The 76 Overlander I bought recently sold for about $15k new (which is about $57k in today's dollars see Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics ). It is now worth about a third of that or only ten percent of its original, inflation adjusted, price. That depreciation not only represents 34 years but (if I believe the stickers on it) journeys all over the North American continent.

But I still have a serviceable RV!

If you look at that trailer in inflation adjusted terms, you'd get about $50k equipment costs for 34 years of service. That's about $1500 per year average although most of that was probably in the first few years.

For instance, I bought a '75 Ambassador in 1992 for about $9k in today's dollars. It's probably still worth half that. That means the depreciation cost has been $250/year on average. From here it will probably just track inflation.

That's common for Airstreams. They can last a long time and after ten or so years, the depreciation becomes negligible compared to other costs.

That is uncommon for SOB's that cost half of what an Airstream does new and have an expected life of less than ten years.

As with any vehicle, you make your choice about where you want to be on the curve. Go new with all the latest features and the emotional benefits of new and you pay the price. If you are cost squeezed, head out the curve to find where it starts to flatten out to serve your budget best.

Then you get into the collectors, the hobbyists, the gypsies, and the others for whom the RV is not a means to an end but rather an end in and of itself. Airstream seems to have a bit of an edge here as well.

Quote:
but USE it a bunch and all those priceless memories will be banked.
and if you can't afford them directly, try vicariously by borrowing from a previous owner's adventures.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Laura

Living in a small space is a skill that takes practice. Start with the attitude that...: Space does not equal wealth. Consider that there is no traylah large enough to hold all the things you don't need but which you could possibly bring anyway.
Thank you Laura I love what you said and it is so true..... I read it several times just to make it stick. We feel the same way Girl.....
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
OK, it's time to be a little realistic. I love my AS it's a vintage 68 I am still finishing up the remodel and love doing that too. But I would never buy a new one. When you do buy a new one you a buying the name and stigma that go along with the AS. If you look at the inside of an AS and the Inside of a New SOB there is little difference. All the lights and fixture are the same. Fridge, AC, nothing different.

An SOB will last 20+ years if looked after. Just like an AS.

You buy the AS to have an AS. IF you want room and great storage you don't.
Mine has been around for 42 years. From what I see of the declining quality of AS I would not expect a new one to last that long.

But I love my AS I will deal with the limited space and storage for the great tow and the shine once I get it polished.

If you want to sell it you will lose money. Over the long run it will hold it's value better than an SOB. But like BMW,and other luxury cars they lose there value quick. Look at Range Rover. A new one $60,000+ five years later you would be lucky to $25,000 for it.

It's the way of life. IF you want out of the AS you will lose money.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Nothing is worth the new price after you take possession...whether a new car, new Airstream, new SOB, or even a new house. If you buy a house and turn around and put it back on the market, you will loose your real estate agent's fee if nothing more. And that is if you are lucky. Houses are supposed to be an investment, but not always, RVs of any kind/brand are not.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Maybe someone will swap trailers with you and you would both be happy. Put an ad out there to that effect and I'll bet you get several calls.

What were you using to camp in before the airstream?
\
It's odd that you didn't know what to look for when you purchased it. Is this your first trailer?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Went around the block in my 1984 Eldorado and it was worth $20,000 less....does this mean that $20,000 is the "magic" number" ?

Actually the Cadillac E.. only cost 38 Thousand....cheaper than an Airstream

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "An SOB will last 20+ years if looked after. Just like an AS." -- there is a reason why 20 year old SOB's are not as common as 20 year old Airstreams, I think.

There are also reasons why people are buying and repairing and using 40 year old Airstreams but not 40 year old SOB's.

It's not what is the same, it is what is different that counts, I think.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
1st I will state I traded my 08 28' safari Se about 4 months ago and got 40,000. it was less than 1 year old and used 4 times. So yes you are going to lose money, now on to the SOB I bought, I admit it was 76,000 but it has a complete aluminum frame, a full 3" thick wall with insulation, marine grade plywood for roof and flooring, solid wood cabinets, crown moldings, and trim. glass panels in interior doors, corian counters in kitchen and bath, two AC units with ducted air, 18 c.f whirlpool refrig. 40" lcd tv in livingroom and 20" in bedroom, king size bed that I can actually walk around, washer dryer, 50amp service, 4 slides seperate livingroom and diningroom and full body paint. and a fireplace, remote control for landing gear, slideouts, level up system, awning and lights. tows no better or worse than my AS my MPG has remained the same and I can spend many a day in it when it rains, so can we please stop saying SOB's are not of equal quality.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
You talked to two issues:

Rain Days:
Granted, an extended bought of bad weather can be a bit tough - the 1st couple of days are generally OK but after that things can become a bit of a challenge. After 40 years of outdoor vacations from pup tents through pop-ups and now a 19' Bambi we can definitively tell you that "size doesn't matter" (bad joke I know) - if you are having trouble in a 31 footer then a bigger 5th wheel isn't going to solve your cabin fever - time to get a bit creative. Don't allow yourself to be a "fair weather camper" - some of the best memories can grow from some of the worst weather.
Resale Value:
Airstreams do hold their value better than SOB's - but not in the first years. Kinda like vintage wine - they have to age a bit before their enduring value becomes apparent. With some genuine TLC they age a heck of a lot better than other trailers - and - over time - will treat you much better than the others when it comes time to trade or move on. But you do need to be aware that the shorter Airstreams have a bigger market over a longer period of time than the long ones.
Good Luck,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
1st I will state I traded my 08 28' safari Se about 4 months ago and got 40,000. it was less than 1 year old and used 4 times. So yes you are going to lose money, now on to the SOB I bought, I admit it was 76,000 but it has a complete aluminum frame, a full 3" thick wall with insulation, marine grade plywood for roof and flooring, solid wood cabinets, crown moldings, and trim. glass panels in interior doors, corian counters in kitchen and bath, two AC units with ducted air, 18 c.f whirlpool refrig. 40" lcd tv in livingroom and 20" in bedroom, king size bed that I can actually walk around, washer dryer, 50amp service, 4 slides seperate livingroom and diningroom and full body paint. and a fireplace, remote control for landing gear, slideouts, level up system, awning and lights. tows no better or worse than my AS my MPG has remained the same and I can spend many a day in it when it rains, so can we please stop saying SOB's are not of equal quality.
I don't buy that, unless you new one is a wide 12 footer with a motor.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
_

. , .
vik'

bob snagged a cedar creek 5th wheel.

these are very very nice and have ALL the features reported.

u can read about his here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...ums-63381.html

it's no where near as svelte as a stream...

and i still believe the fatdog 34 i drag will tow better at 75-80 mph...

and it's not shaped like an expanded beer can...

but they are good units.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
vik'

bob snagged a cedar creek 5th wheel.

these are very very nice and have ALL the features reported.

u can read about his here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...ums-63381.html

it's no where near as svelte as a stream...

and i still believe the fatdog 34 i drag will tow better at 75-80 mph...

and it's not shaped like an expanded beer can...

but they are good units.

cheers
2air'
thanks for at least admitting that there is life after AS. To be honest at 75 mph I find myself forgetting about it. the only time I notice is over bridges (and under bridges) it has a dexter e-z flex axle system which really absorbs the bumps well, better than my truck. I have recently been speaking to other campers and when I mention that I had an AS they are surprised that I talk to them, as the opinion most of the common SOB owners felt that AS owners were too good to talk to them. I try to tell them that under all that aluminum there still beats the heart of a camper, some believe me and some don't. And I agree about the expanded beer can but I always referred to mine as an aluminum suppository.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Bob,
So now you bought an SOB, and have exactly what you want, and you are happy, and it tows great, and you have no loss of fuel mileage in your truck. You can sit by the fireplace and watch your 42" television. That's wonderful!
I guess in hind site you are still maybe a little bitter and kicking yourself for not knowing what you wanted in a trailer to begin with, or what style of camping was right for you. That is probably why you keep talking up the SOB you purchased. It sort of makes up for the big mistake of "the aluminum suppository".
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Over the years we have traveled by backpacking, camper vans, and to our Airstream. My sense is that as we get bigger, more cumbersome gear, we lose some of the adventure that we left home for. It is fun to improvise, rough it a bit, and make do, and to take the roads less traveled. That's where the memories are.

If you need all the comforts of home, why leave?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote