Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Bob,
So now you bought an SOB, and have exactly what you want, and you are happy, and it tows great, and you have no loss of fuel mileage in your truck. You can sit by the fireplace and watch your 42" television. That's wonderful!
I guess in hind site you are still maybe a little bitter and kicking yourself for not knowing what you wanted in a trailer to begin with, or what style of camping was right for you. That is probably why you keep talking up the SOB you purchased. It sort of makes up for the big mistake of "the aluminum suppository".
no! we loved the AS but we spend a lot of time in the trailer, being old and all, and the AS was just too cramped. I did not feel we made a mistake as it was what we wanted at the time, I have made more costly decisions than buying an AS and do not mind the trade value, I also will not kick myself if in the future we decide on a 34' AS and our 5th wheel trade is next to nothing. as far as talking up the SOB, it is usually a gut reaction to the "elite" status some of the AS owners have given themselves. An AS , SOB, Avion or any other brand is just a trailer and should not be used to define someone, unless you are making up for some other short coming. I originally was going to leave the forums as I no longer had a reason to be here, but someone said stay and post how I liked the "other Brand" so I did, I have also answered questions new AS owners have asked, but rather than stick around to "talk up " my SOB I think I will say goodbye and good luck to all.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I think we've got a metrics problem here.

Amenities and features are an entirely different thing than longevity. Size of RV is separate from these as well.

Choosing a MoHo or a 5th wheel or a TT or a Class B or C is a lifestyle choice. The value there is personal.

What that RV will sell for in twenty or more years is not a personal matter but something entirely different.

Confusing the two doesn't help the conversation, I think.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Agree Bryan, it's a lifestyle choice. All opinions have merit, but talking up the amenities of a fiver on this forum is falling on mostly deaf ears.

There may be a benefit to all concerned though. If someone dislikes their Airstream, here's an opportunity to sell to one of us at a fair price, and go deal on a fiver with cash. The seller may have posted a history on this forum of the issues he experienced, giving us some insight into his trailer condition.

There are plenty here who would love that 27' Airstream.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'll tell everyone who intends to keep their Airstream that valuation affects you whether you keep it or intend to sell it. I just found this out when a tree fell on my 2006 Safari SE. I paid a little over $44,000 for the trailer brand new. When the tree fell on the trailer, it turns out that the insurance company came very close to "totaling" the trailer and giving me only $23,000. Who wants to buy a trailer for $44,000, use it four years, "wreck it", and get so little? Well, that the problem with these things. You pay for insurance, thinking you're protecting your risk of loss. After a unit like mine is totaled and they hand you $23,000, you don't have enough to buy a comparable used unit in my opinion. And let me add, my insurance company is a big one, USAA in San Antonio, not some shyster outfit. Bottom line: when you buy an Airstream, you are forced to self insure to a material degree.

At the end of the day, my situation was such that I got over $16,000 to repair the unit. But just a little more damage and they would have insisted on giving me $23,000 and I'd of had to transfer title.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
...Bottom line: when you buy an Airstream, you are forced to self insure to a material degree...
not exactly,

although setting a HIGH deductible to lower premiums

is a good way to self insure with a defined risk.

for insurance on NEW units (and many vehicles) the bottom line is...

UNDERSTAND THE POLICY u pay 4.

it's easy and not all that expensive to purchase TOTAL REPLACEMENT COVERAGE on new streams...

it's important to READ THESE RIDERS and BE SURE that's what u r buying...

don't trust the agent for details...

the term "full coverage" is about covering ALL the basics (comp/collision/medical/uninsured motorist, contents)...

full coverage doesn't mean EACH of those items is covered to the ideal AMOUNT

(for example liability/medical may be WAY TOO LOW with many "full coverage" policies)

and 'full coverage' does NOT equal 'purchase price/replacement coverage'...

i am in the 5th/6th year of total replacement coverage on an 05.

should it be totaled the policy provides REPLACEMENT with a similar/identical NEW unit.

after the 6th year the coverage switches to "my original purchase price"...

which is STILL a very very healthy fixed figure...

so book/trade/salvage/used/lowballin' prices have nothing to do with this coverage.

rv insurance is closer to HOME OWNERS coverage than it is to auto insurance...

it pays to understand what u are buying (stream or insurance) and how it will function (stream or insurance)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
2air makes a good point. When you buy new there are a myriad of policies and coverage out there. My trailer also had total replacement coverage for the first 5 years of its life. It hit year six and we are now into the next 5 year cycle where if totaled, I'd get back my original cost of the trailer. Insurance runs $57 a month for that level of coverage.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Newport Beach , California
We bought our 23' 2 years old, barely used, for 1/2 the price the original owner paid, that means he took a 25K hit to own the coach for 2 years. I thought everyone knew that when you buy new, you buy for the LONG term...
RognChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #28

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
What insurance do you have?

QUOTE=2airishuman;870114]not exactly,

although setting a HIGH deductible to lower premiums

is a good way to self insure with a defined risk.

for insurance on NEW units (and many vehicles) the bottom line is...

UNDERSTAND THE POLICY u pay 4.

it's easy and not all that expensive to purchase TOTAL REPLACEMENT COVERAGE on new streams...

it's important to READ THESE RIDERS and BE SURE that's what u r buying...

don't trust the agent for details...

the term "full coverage" is about covering ALL the basics (comp/collision/medical/uninsured motorist, contents)...

full coverage doesn't mean EACH of those items is covered to the ideal AMOUNT

(for example liability/medical may be WAY TOO LOW with many "full coverage" policies)

and 'full coverage' does NOT equal 'purchase price/replacement coverage'...

i am in the 5th/6th year of total replacement coverage on an 05.

should it be totaled the policy provides REPLACEMENT with a similar/identical NEW unit.

after the 6th year the coverage switches to "my original purchase price"...

which is STILL a very very healthy fixed figure...

so book/trade/salvage/used/lowballin' prices have nothing to do with this coverage.

rv insurance is closer to HOME OWNERS coverage than it is to auto insurance...

it pays to understand what u are buying (stream or insurance) and how it will function (stream or insurance)

cheers
2air'[/QUOTE]
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
laynlow...what exactly were the problems you had during the rain? Did it leak or just to cramped?
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
I'll tell everyone who intends to keep their Airstream that valuation affects you whether you keep it or intend to sell it. I just found this out when a tree fell on my 2006 Safari SE. I paid a little over $44,000 for the trailer brand new. When the tree fell on the trailer, it turns out that the insurance company came very close to "totaling" the trailer and giving me only $23,000. Who wants to buy a trailer for $44,000, use it four years, "wreck it", and get so little? Well, that the problem with these things. You pay for insurance, thinking you're protecting your risk of loss. After a unit like mine is totaled and they hand you $23,000, you don't have enough to buy a comparable used unit in my opinion. And let me add, my insurance company is a big one, USAA in San Antonio, not some shyster outfit. Bottom line: when you buy an Airstream, you are forced to self insure to a material degree.

At the end of the day, my situation was such that I got over $16,000 to repair the unit. But just a little more damage and they would have insisted on giving me $23,000 and I'd of had to transfer title.

Normal. You weren't being scamed or anything. Depreciation is what it is, and it's at it's worse in the first few years. Surely you have bought a new car or truck and noticed the same thing? Just because I happen to know exactly what a 2006 Expedition King Ranch sold for new, and it's close to what you paid for your 'stream, ($43,421) I looked on cars.com to see what they are going for, and low and behold, there is one at a dealer great shape, under 50k miles, asking 24,995. If you know much about used cars/trucks, you know it will leave the lot for 10-15% less than asking price, if a buyer sticks to their guns. Same sort of thing. When we bought or big EX, gas was $4+ a gallon. it booked for 25k, we paid 17k. I bet we were the only full size SUV sale they made that quarter. You CAN get replacement cost insurance, but it costs a lot, because you are effectivly insuring your depreciation.

If you can't find a resolution to your buyer's remorse, I agree with the suggestion to offer to trade for what you really want, you need to figure out what 5th wheel or whatever has all the features you need, figure out which ones are of equal value in your eyes, and then go looking for someone who has what you would buy, and see if they want what you have. The whole world used to work like that.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, it's not just depreciation; The dealer is not going to pay, the same or more than what his original cost is on a new trailer. And he is going to have to do a safety check before he can sell it again. $$$$$ Also he plans on making a profit on this second hand sale. $$$$$ So trade in prices are adjusted in his favor, or no deal. Buying something new and changing your mind can be very costly. Now, if I read this correctly the original poster wants out of his Airstream and into a fifth wheel; He also bought a new SUV to tow the Airstream with. So the new SUV needs to be replaced with a pick-up truck, at another great loss. Good Luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
What insurance do you have?
progressive

jack and i both have this policy.

it's available when buying NEW, not sure how it's structured on NEARLY new or 2nd owners.

given your location the P policies are LESS money if you go to an agent.

online the prices will be higher (in ks) but an indi agent can do better...

((many things affect rates))

also disappearing deductible (started at 1000$ it is now ZERO )

and a % of the premiums paid are returned after a few years...

as i recall ~100$ back this year.

it's a very very good RV specific insurance policy.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #33
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman;869243 If you look at the inside of an AS and the Inside of a New SOB there is little difference. [B
All the lights and fixture are the same. [/B] Fridge, AC, nothing different.

An SOB will last 20+ years if looked after. Just like an AS.

Mine has been around for 42 years. From what I see of the declining quality of AS I would not expect a new one to last that long.

But I love my AS I will deal with the limited space and storage for the great tow and the shine once I get it polished.

It's the way of life. IF you want out of the AS you will lose money.
What??? You sound like someone who is trying to make themselves happy for not being able to "obtain" a new Airstream.

Just Say'n

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Bought our Bambi new. Don't regret it. Love the pitter-pat of rainy days. It's a happy place. Depreciation? Sure. What doesn't?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
vik'

bob snagged a cedar creek 5th wheel.

these are very very nice and have ALL the features reported.

u can read about his here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...ums-63381.html

it's no where near as svelte as a stream...

and i still believe the fatdog 34 i drag will tow better at 75-80 mph...

and it's not shaped like an expanded beer can...

but they are good units.

cheers
2air'
I don't have anything against other brands or 5th wheels, really. I just couldn't believe that you can haul a monster 4-slider w/fireplace, king bed, full refer/freezer, thick walls and 2 big tv's at the same mpg as an '08 28' Stream. What makes this possible? Are they the same weight? I would think just the high profile of most 5th's would cost you a couple of mpgs.

Jus' sayin'

Rich the viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Got it all covered. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, it's not just depreciation; The dealer is not going to pay, the same or more than what his original cost is on a new trailer. And he is going to have to do a safety check before he can sell it again. $$$$$ Also he plans on making a profit on this second hand sale. $$$$$ So trade in prices are adjusted in his favor, or no deal. Buying something new and changing your mind can be very costly. Now, if I read this correctly the original poster wants out of his Airstream and into a fifth wheel; He also bought a new SUV to tow the Airstream with. So the new SUV needs to be replaced with a pick-up truck, at another great loss. Good Luck.
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Brisbane , California
When you get an AS, it's an emotional connection, not a rational decision.. It's liking what you see and then loving what you have.
zimode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I'm reading this thread and wishing I had the money to go buy a new airstream then re-think my decision. Instead I have two older ones, I think about them, and the money I have put into them and am going to be putting into them . . .wait a second. .. maybe I do have enough money for a new airstream. . . Thanks for making me think.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
I'm reading this thread and wishing I had the money to go buy a new airstream then re-think my decision. Instead I have two older ones, I think about them, and the money I have put into them and am going to be putting into them . . .wait a second. .. maybe I do have enough money for a new airstream. . . Thanks for making me think.
Maybe you do have the money.. and you could have a new one.

But then all you would have is a new AS.

You know you would rather save/love/enjoy those vintage airs..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Value

It has been a while since I felt the need to post a reply, but this topic moved me to respond. Anyone purchasing an RV in the current economic climate should expect to lose money on their purchase. RV's are not an investment vehicle, they are a recreational vehicle period..

I purchased a 1988 34' Limited model and spent money to repair and upgrade for my wife and I to travel and see this wonderful country, which we have done spending two years going coast to coast, hitting 40 states.

The wonders we have seen were worth the money spent, and if the day comes and I sell my 88 any return I get will be the icing on the cake...

Memories and adventures are priceless, and worth every penny....

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote