Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #1

Airstream guest house

How would you go about turning an airstream into a permanent guest house? We have enjoyed our 31' 1977 Sovereign for the past 4 years as a weekend getatway parked on mountain property on which we are now building a log home.

We've never taken it on the road, and it would require some work I'm sure for someone to get it back down the mountain, and one of the tires has gone bad and it has vacuum brakes, so maybe I'm wrong but I think it might be difficult to find a buyer for it. My original idea was to actually entomb it in the basement as a rec-room/museum piece, but that's not an option at this point. Besides, it really is such a pleasant place from which to enjoy the out of doors. It has all the original interior and we just hate to part with it.

We might like to put it back in the woods, and since it would never have to roll again, maybe set it on it's own foundation. I don't think we'd want to put it under roof. Wouldn't really need to use it in the winter, more of a three season place.

Would be very grateful for advice from the creative minds in the community. Is this a workable? How would one go about dry docking the land yacht forever? What would be the best way to minimize infestation? Other considerations I've not even thought of?
rosenqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
drydocked

You MUST put in a hot tub. Make sure you put a good foundation under it. Put the hot tub in the rear, and a lounge in the front.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
You would be surpised how many people might have interest and go to the trouble to get it out.
The brakes are not problem. They can be changed to electric.

Really your idea doesn't sound bad at all. Tie it into a septic system and Permemnt shore power and it would be good to go.

Personnaly if I were doing that I would put it under a roof for several reasons. The bigest is the shade would take a lot of load off the A/C. THe shade would also mean the A/C is needed less.

If I did it I would have basicly a double car port/ pole barn arangment on a concrete slab. No exterior walls, just a roof. It would have a ceiling hight of about 12 ft so there is plenty of room over the coach and some vents in the roof to make sure any hot air from the A/C had a place to go. Find the A/C drain and extend it off the slab.

Now with a double width that gives you a covered place to sit. THe concrete slab will stay somewhat cool in the shade and make it a nice comfee place to camp for your guests. You could get real fancy and screen the walls.

My second reason for having the coach under a roof is leaks go unnoticed on a used coach and thats what destroys these coaches. A coach in storage it can get out of hand real quick. This way it will never have any floor problmes other then the ones that currently exist.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

lonely by itself?

Hey...if you think it wound get lonely or need a tester or housesitter...I"m your man....seriously it sounds like a neat idea...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 is NOT old.
Converting to electric brakes is not that big a deal.
An original interior in good condition is very desirable.
If I had a 77, I would put $3K into it and sell it for $6K.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
roof it

i like toasters idea, nothing irreversable if you change your mind some day. and protect it in the meantime.

putting it up on jack stands would also help preserve the axles for future use. and make the trailer stable.

disc brakes are serviceable, and a few members say they are the best brakes ever made.

john
Old 02-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #7

Good Ideas

Thanks for the feedback. In the woods on the mountain, we're unlikely to need the AC very often, but I'd not thought about the rain, not to mention all the oak leaves piling up on that shiny roof.

I'd really like to get it off the wheels, and jack stands would be an alternative to full foundation, though unlikely to support a hot tub!

Now I'm starting to picture a gazebo--concrete slab with roof, like you see in some group camping areas. Large enough to shelter the silver turd and a picnic table. Maybe a regulation shuffle board court?

What do you all think about a skirt to protect the underside? Unnecessary? Invitation to critters?
rosenqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Talking Silver turd?

Now that's funny. I may have heard the expression before but amidst the mention of all the scenic grandeur, it kinda reached out and tickled my funny bone.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Boulder,Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to summerwine
Hi
My airstream is stationary and has been for going on 9 years. I planned it that way. Over the years I make improvements to it, the inside is all original and in great shape. I recentely added skirting( custom) to fit the trailer. had a small problem with a few critters running underneath it ( from getting into the neighbors garbage) and the skirting solved that! It also helps keeping the cold winds and moisture from the underneath. and looks better too! I used waterproof lumber and used corrugated tin? from another skirting job. Removed the wheels...( in storage)
It really worked better than new store bought stuff as you have to curve it. My place is on a mtn in southern utah and it does get cold and warm..high desert. I also spend the three seasons there and works just fine. I also had the water lines put underground to avoid freezing.
So I would say to do skirting....
My next task is a roof over the place...which I already have my beams for, just need help..haha.
This is a picture:
http://summerwine.digitalphotochat.com/album52/aav

good luck!
summerwine
summerwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Thumbs up Wow, summerwine

Very nice Airstream and other breathtaking photos. Thanks for showing us the splendor of Boulder Mountain.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote