Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
VAN Camper

I went back and re-read your post, and as big an Airstream fan as I am, I'm not sure it would be your best choice. Airstreams CAN be taken into the deep woods, but frankly they aren't really built with heavy duty suspensions, and they do leak at the seams. Factory urges us to check and reseal the roof frequently. Most common sources are vents but a loose rivet can cause a micro leak.

I like the fiberglass Scamp/Casita/Bolus which is small ... which is good off road ... and pretty bulletproof in rough terrain.

In your situation, have you considered a conversion van? Most don't have the standup room of an Airstream or even a Casita.. but there's a solid roof and a real mattress and many even have a hotplate or one burner stove.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Paula

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
You can find an Airstream that will fit your needs... but it will take some looking! Keep your eyes open for all possibilities, look at every 'stream you can find to look at ~ even those 5K above what you can pay so you can truly get a feel and sense for what is out there! Just hang on to your checkbook until the right one comes along.

That doesn't mean you don't have to not take up some of these other suggestions! Check out everything you can. Look everywhere you can... post wanted notices... maybe you can find a usable Airstream and barter for a portion of the cost... you just never know!

I wanted a Bambi for a long time, looked, looked, and looked.... finally found one on ebay. Hubby did a frame off restoration, but I am very happy with it!

Hey, if you need something really small to tow, try a teardrop! You can lie down in them.... have a little kitchen or storage... but that is it. If you've never seen one, google teardrop trailer!

Have fun looking ~ it is half the fun!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Another thought for you to consider is an air-cooled VW Westfalia. With the poptop set up, there is tons of room to stand up. The small galley is functional and great for those wet, west coast summers. You can find one at your price easily enough and pparts are easy to get. Also, they have high clearance and you can drive them just about anywhere. I used to take mine on some pretty nasty forestry roads all over BC and Alberta.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Another thought for you to consider is an air-cooled VW Westfalia. With the poptop set up, there is tons of room to stand up. The small galley is functional and great for those wet, west coast summers. You can find one at your price easily enough and pparts are easy to get. Also, they have high clearance and you can drive them just about anywhere. I used to take mine on some pretty nasty forestry roads all over BC and Alberta.
Westfalias have gotten pricey. I bought a 84 in 93 for $3000. Put on 100,000 and sold it in 2007 for $3500
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
If you want it badly enough, you can do it. Like others have said, there will be a lot of searching involved to find something both affordable and towable. But it sounds like you can go without a lot of things, which will help. Maybe you can find one that someone started to re-do but gave up on, even.

Those Trilliums are soooo cool! Almost as cool as an Airstream

Best of luck! Keep us updated.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Another question. What are you planning to do after tree planting season? Sell the trailer or keep it and live in it?

The second alternative puts a different slant on things. If you buy with the idea of living in the trailer full time while attending school, you could save a lot of rent money and justify a more expensive trailer.

If the idea is to sell it you might also justify a more expensive trailer provided you can recoup your money when you sell it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #21

Cobourg , Ontario
You could try running a trailer wanted ad in Kijiji Vancouver and Craigslist. You never know your luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #22

Cobourg , Ontario
Is this what you were looking for?

Airstream Argosy 28" Camp Trailer

I found it with the help of this Site Mash search.

site mash : airstream : combined classified and auction listings

Here's a gutted shell for $500 bucks. Fort Myers is in Florida isn't it?

http://fortmyers.en.craigslist.org/rvs/1088689447.html

And a 30' Land Yacht for $2000 bucks in Fort Collins. What a deal.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/1090685122.html

All the deals are 2000 miles away LOL.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you'd like to swing on a star... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replant View Post
I've finished an undergraduate degree but would like to return to school for a second one (philosophy) before starting graduate work, so I'm likely looking at another four years of schooling from this point on, which means no earning potential to afford anything beyond the smallest, most abused airstream out there.
Howdy and welcome to the forum, Replant!

I think perhaps your best route to getting a nice airstream trailer at some point in your future might be to change your major to Law or Engineering and get out there and earn some Big Money. Philosophy is super, but realisitically, what else can you do with it short of teaching these days?

Sorry about that, just kidding. Follow your dream and all that.

Failing that, when you get out west, you'll very likely be able to find a beat-up older SOB (Some Other Brand) trailer in your price range. Then at the end of the season, see if you can find a cheap place out there to store it if you plan on planting trees there the following year. If you don't plan on coming back, sell it at the end of the season.

Remember that anything like a big old cheap Airstream will require a big thirsty tow vehicle and almost certainly some repair$.. Unless you earn something like $50 and hour, the payback may be unrealistic.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #24

Cobourg , Ontario
The other problem is he is Canadian and it costs $1.25 in Canuck bucks (pesos) to buy $1 US.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There are plenty of trailers for sale in Canada. Airstreams are always popping up on Vancouver and Victoria Craigslists.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I don't think Airstream will fit your budget but a couple easy to workons might Serro Scotty Shasta Tag-A-Long look those up and gd luck!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
I have an Argosy I am willing to part with for a very reasonable amount. Please PM me for details. I am located in western Washington State, so a trip to Vancover is just a few hundred mile jaunt.

Dan And Sherry W.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Multiple , Pretty Much All of Them
Wow, thanks so much for all the advice in this thread, and to Ganaraska for posting those links. I'm generally a little distrustful of posting on internet forums, and expected a lot of "why don't look yourself instead of asking people to help you" type responses, but this community is great.

As reasonable or more practical as all the other options might be - the Trilliums and tear-drops and Bolers etc. - I've decided I'm going to stay in the tent until I can find an airstream. I'm considering living in it while I go to school, but that's still way way up in the air.

Thanks everyone!