Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #21
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You could try running a trailer wanted ad in Kijiji Vancouver and Craigslist. You never know your luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #22

Cobourg , Ontario
Is this what you were looking for?

Airstream Argosy 28" Camp Trailer

I found it with the help of this Site Mash search.

site mash : airstream : combined classified and auction listings

Here's a gutted shell for $500 bucks. Fort Myers is in Florida isn't it?

http://fortmyers.en.craigslist.org/rvs/1088689447.html

And a 30' Land Yacht for $2000 bucks in Fort Collins. What a deal.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/1090685122.html

All the deals are 2000 miles away LOL.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you'd like to swing on a star... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replant View Post
I've finished an undergraduate degree but would like to return to school for a second one (philosophy) before starting graduate work, so I'm likely looking at another four years of schooling from this point on, which means no earning potential to afford anything beyond the smallest, most abused airstream out there.
Howdy and welcome to the forum, Replant!

I think perhaps your best route to getting a nice airstream trailer at some point in your future might be to change your major to Law or Engineering and get out there and earn some Big Money. Philosophy is super, but realisitically, what else can you do with it short of teaching these days?

Sorry about that, just kidding. Follow your dream and all that.

Failing that, when you get out west, you'll very likely be able to find a beat-up older SOB (Some Other Brand) trailer in your price range. Then at the end of the season, see if you can find a cheap place out there to store it if you plan on planting trees there the following year. If you don't plan on coming back, sell it at the end of the season.

Remember that anything like a big old cheap Airstream will require a big thirsty tow vehicle and almost certainly some repair$.. Unless you earn something like $50 and hour, the payback may be unrealistic.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #24

Cobourg , Ontario
The other problem is he is Canadian and it costs $1.25 in Canuck bucks (pesos) to buy $1 US.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There are plenty of trailers for sale in Canada. Airstreams are always popping up on Vancouver and Victoria Craigslists.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I don't think Airstream will fit your budget but a couple easy to workons might Serro Scotty Shasta Tag-A-Long look those up and gd luck!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
I have an Argosy I am willing to part with for a very reasonable amount. Please PM me for details. I am located in western Washington State, so a trip to Vancover is just a few hundred mile jaunt.

Dan And Sherry W.
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Multiple , Pretty Much All of Them
Wow, thanks so much for all the advice in this thread, and to Ganaraska for posting those links. I'm generally a little distrustful of posting on internet forums, and expected a lot of "why don't look yourself instead of asking people to help you" type responses, but this community is great.

As reasonable or more practical as all the other options might be - the Trilliums and tear-drops and Bolers etc. - I've decided I'm going to stay in the tent until I can find an airstream. I'm considering living in it while I go to school, but that's still way way up in the air.

Thanks everyone!
Replant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Are you going to go to school some place with a moderate climate, or will you be staying in Ontario? If the latter, winter in an Airstream will be interesting. Living in an Airstream during a Vancouver winter was enough of a challenge!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

As a quick update, someone on the boards was kind enough to contact me, but it didn't work out owing to the logistics of getting it.

I also found a 21' Argosy (with receiver) for $800, but then found out I simply can't tow one this summer =(

At least I know what I'm looking for now, I'll be back later! Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Well a year later, and I'm back to bump the thread. I've been keeping my eye out around Canada for a deal, but yikes are these things hard to find at a reasonable price (well, for someone in my position lol).

I've really appreciated the help I've been given through pm's by some of the board members who've taken a kind interest in my search. If anyone knows of a decent shell in Canada (preferably in AB or BC), and would be kind enough to post here or pm me, I'd be very appreciative!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi again!

Do you have a tow vehicle now?

Keep an eye on this link.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Also keep your eye out for an Argosy. they were built by AS, just as good. Not as expensive.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

thanks for the link! And I've decided to hold out for an Airstream. I've looked at a couple of Argosy's close up, and for some reason they're not quite the same. I've got patience, and time, however, so hopefully something will come along eventually.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Well a forestry road just about put an end to the 14" single axle low-ride trailer I've had for the past two years, and my hunt is now in earnest for the beginning of next season.

A few questions, for those who know, and are willing to share:

1. Any recommendations on what specific years/models are the "best" if I'm interested in something between 20"-25" with a double axle? It has to be an airstream, and silver. The older the better in my mind.
2. How difficult is it to winterize an Airstream?
3. It seems that airstreams in Canada are consistently more expensive than airstreams in the U.S. - is this generally true?
4. Is there any major fluxuations in energy consumption between models in the range I'm looking in? I'll have to often run off of a generator, and I'm trying to obviously limit my fuel expenditures.
5. As an addendum to #4 - is there a solar paneling system that's been used and that works well for airstreams?
6. How difficult is to restore the body of a damaged/dented airstream? I'm not very handy, and although I'd like to find one super cheap and restore it myself, it's hard for me to gauge how difficult it would be - especially when I don't have an indoor/covered shop I'd be able to use.
7. As always, if anyone has seen any good deals posted recently (I'm following that site aggregator whenever I get into Wifi range in camp, so anything on Kijiji/Ebay/Craigslist I see) it would be much appreciated.

As a personal update - I can't stand tenting so got an old travel trailer (South Park is the manufacturer I believe). I plan on doing another year of undergrad, then law school, and working in the bush for the next five summers or so while I do it, so I'm now looking to invest more than I was previously. I'll be getting a proper tow vehicle and be willing to invest somewhere in the $8k range on the airstream over the next little while.

Best thing I have going for me is that I don't need anything fancy in the interior. A working fridge is the only real essential. I don't care much about a working toilet or shower, and really don't need a stove. Fans/space heaters should do the trick for hot/cold as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #36

Cobourg , Ontario
Well a forestry road just about put an end to the 14" single axle low-ride trailer I've had for the past two years, and my hunt is now in earnest for the beginning of next season.

A few questions, for those who know, and are willing to share:

1. Any recommendations on what specific years/models are the "best" if I'm interested in something between 20"-25" with a double axle? It has to be an airstream, and silver. The older the better in my mind.

It's a matter of choice, budget, and what you are lucky enough to find. Anything old enough that you can afford it, will require thousands in repairs.

2. How difficult is it to winterize an Airstream?

Practically impossible. Airstreams are not made for extreme cold or extreme heat. They are made to move with the seasons to a more salubrious climate.

Aluminum absorbs, radiates and conducts heat like mad. The walls are only 2" thick and poorly insulated. There is also the condensation problem. There is nothing you can do to cure these problems. It is possible to survive in an Airstream but not a lot of fun, if the temps are much above 80 or below 50.

3. It seems that airstreams in Canada are consistently more expensive than airstreams in the U.S. - is this generally true?

Very true. There is nothing you can do about this except shop in the US. You can watch for a bargain in Canada for years, and if you are very lucky, possibly get one for a price that is only a little above average for the US

4. Is there any major fluxuations in energy consumption between models in the range I'm looking in? I'll have to often run off of a generator, and I'm trying to obviously limit my fuel expenditures.

There is some difference depending on size. Otherwise not much except the newer the unit the more power sucking accessories. The oldest models did not even have air, or even fans, just a few light bulbs.

5. As an addendum to #4 - is there a solar paneling system that's been used and that works well for airstreams?

Some have tried. You can get enough juice to run a couple of light bulbs but that's about it. Forget about running a furnace or air conditioner.

6. How difficult is to restore the body of a damaged/dented airstream? I'm not very handy, and although I'd like to find one super cheap and restore it myself, it's hard for me to gauge how difficult it would be - especially when I don't have an indoor/covered shop I'd be able to use.

Pretty difficult. Small dents can be ironed out from inside, but this requires removing the inner panels. Large dents or stretched or torn metal require replacing panels. This is all pretty advanced stuff for an amateur. Such repairs are actually harder than repairing appliances or even replacing floors. Best answer, do not buy a unit that has external damage you can't live with. You will find plenty to do even in a unit that looks good, believe me.

7. As always, if anyone has seen any good deals posted recently (I'm following that site aggregator whenever I get into Wifi range in camp, so anything on Kijiji/Ebay/Craigslist I see) it would be much appreciated.

As a personal update - I can't stand tenting so got an old travel trailer (South Park is the manufacturer I believe). I plan on doing another year of undergrad, then law school, and working in the bush for the next five summers or so while I do it, so I'm now looking to invest more than I was previously. I'll be getting a proper tow vehicle and be willing to invest somewhere in the $8k range on the airstream over the next little while.

Best thing I have going for me is that I don't need anything fancy in the interior. A working fridge is the only real essential. I don't care much about a working toilet or shower, and really don't need a stove. Fans/space heaters should do the trick for hot/cold as far as I'm concerned.

You will still get more for your money in a box type trailer. Some have metal frames example, Holiday Rambler and Golden Falcon. These will stand up better than the typical trailer for your use.

If that won't do consider an Argosy. They are generally simpler and cheaper than an Airstream, and the bodies are easier to repair because you can paint them. You can usually find a decent Argosy for $4000 where a comparable Airstream would be $7000. Canadian prices of course.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Thanks a lot Ganaraska, much appreciated, though a bit disheartening lol.