Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Airstream Eddie Bauer Edition

I am planning to purchase an Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB to travel with my wife & young daughter plus (2) German Shepards but recently saw the Eddie Bauer Edition which is 2ft shorter. Does anyone have advice on which product might be the better value in the long run. We plan to take numerous weekend trips and a couple of weeklong trips every year. Some of my friends also advised me about travel trailer length restrictions at some parks.

The two models outlined above appear to be roughly the same MSRP but the Eddie Bauer has some cool features but it is smaller. Any comments / suggestions for an Airstream newbie?

Also, I have a 2002 GMC 2500 HD extended-cab short-bed 4x4 pickup with a diesel engine which I currently use to tow my approximately 8,500lb 26-ft boat without issue. When I informed my trailer guy about my impending travel trailer purchase he strongly advised me to buy a weight distribution / sway control system (Equalizer) if I was to tow a travel trailer as he indicated the travel trailer is much more prone to sway than my boat. Any advice on which weight distribution / sway control system would also be greatly appreciated!

Any advice on my impending purchase would be *GREATLY* appreciated as I have never owned a travel trailer before!!!

Thanks!!!

-dh-

Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'd stick to the 27' FC or a 25' FC. The Eddie Bauer is very cool looking but it lacks storage and unless you plan on taking kayaks or something I'd stay with the FC.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post
I am planning to purchase an Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB to travel with my wife & young daughter plus (2) German Shepards but recently saw the Eddie Bauer Edition which is 2ft shorter. Does anyone have advice on which product might be the better value in the long run. We plan to take numerous weekend trips and a couple of weeklong trips every year. Some of my friends also advised me about travel trailer length restrictions at some parks.

The two models outlined above appear to be roughly the same MSRP but the Eddie Bauer has some cool features but it is smaller. Any comments / suggestions for an Airstream newbie?

Also, I have a 2002 GMC 2500 HD extended-cab short-bed 4x4 pickup with a diesel engine which I currently use to tow my approximately 8,500lb 26-ft boat without issue. When I informed my trailer guy about my impending travel trailer purchase he strongly advised me to buy a weight distribution / sway control system (Equalizer) if I was to tow a travel trailer as he indicated the travel trailer is much more prone to sway than my boat. Any advice on which weight distribution / sway control system would also be greatly appreciated!

Any advice on my impending purchase would be *GREATLY* appreciated as I have never owned a travel trailer before!!!

Thanks!!!

-dh-
Thanks! I also saw some post regarding the hatch possibly leaking. My wife likes the 30ft FB Flying Cloud with the recliners but I was thinking it might be too big to tow around. That's why I narrowed it to the 25-27. What do you think?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For two big dogs, the Eddie Bauer has durable upholstery, more available floor space, and a screened rear hatch. All good for them and you. This may be a better trailer for dog owners than kayak haulers.

If successful, you may see a 27' Eddie Bauer next year.

Most Airstreamers will agree you need a weight distribution hitch with sway control.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
IMHO, with two dogs and a child go for what has the most storage with enough available floor space. For weeklong trips, unless you plan on doing laundry, you need to be able to pack enough clothes for 3 people to get through the week with a spare set or two. Not to mention dog paraphernalia (food, bed, toys) then add in the necessities - pots, pans, plates, cups, towels, sheets, etc....

We travel with two kids under 10, two dogs (blue heeler & great dane) and two humans. I will not deny that floor space is important but enough storage is bigger. Also consider how much time you intend to spend in your A/S.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your choice of Airstreams, all that you are looking at are great units. You need to seriously consider how you plan to use your Airstream. Boondocking vs. campgrounds, long trips vs. short trips are some of the considerations. The Eddie Bauer Edition is really neat. It does give up part of its kitchen counter space to make the giant storage area. It's up to you to decide which you prefer.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, which we have used extensively (815 nights/70,000 miles). We have found Lucy to be very comfortable and livable, keeping in mind that there are usually just the two of us traveling in Lucy.

As far as weight distribution/sway control hitch systems are concerned, you are absolutely going to want one for safe and comfortable towing, even with your 2500 Dmax. We use a Hensley Arrow Hitch System which has never given us any trailer sway experience or anxious moment. The Hensley and the ProPride are pretty pricey, but work as advertised. Many member here are happy with the Equalizer and Reese systems. There are many threads here on the Forums with information on all of these hitch systems. Take a look at these before you decide.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and ask any questions that may come up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your choice of Airstreams, all that you are looking at are great units. You need to seriously consider how you plan to use your Airstream. Boondocking vs. campgrounds, long trips vs. short trips are some of the considerations. The Eddie Bauer Edition is really neat. It does give up part of its kitchen counter space to make the giant storage area. It's up to you to decide which you prefer.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, which we have used extensively (815 nights/70,000 miles). We have found Lucy to be very comfortable and livable, keeping in mind that there are usually just the two of us traveling in Lucy.

As far as weight distribution/sway control hitch systems are concerned, you are absolutely going to want one for safe and comfortable towing, even with your 2500 Dmax. We use a Hensley Arrow Hitch System which has never given us any trailer sway experience or anxious moment. The Hensley and the ProPride are pretty pricey, but work as advertised. Many member here are happy with the Equalizer and Reese systems. There are many threads here on the Forums with information on all of these hitch systems. Take a look at these before you decide.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and ask any questions that may come up.

Brian
I appreciate all the info! What are the advantages/disadvantages to have the bed in the front or at the back? Also, it looks like the unit has an optional inverter and solar panel charging system - do you think they are worth it to buy? Lastly, apparantly there is no generator built-in so what brand/size would be appropriate for a 25-27 ft. Flying Clould?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
DH-

First, the Eddie Bauer or other Airstream "25's" are really only about 13" inches shorter than the 27' trailers... The numbers are marketing numbers, not exact lengths...

Second, as for storage, with a club cab pickup, assuming some form of tonneau cover or shell over the bed, you'll have a lot of storage in the bed of the truck.. In addition, predictions about leaks around hatches are just opinions.. THere aren't enough of them on the market to know how the hatches will hold up for long term... If you need to run the Air Conditioner off the generator, you'll need at least a 3KW Generator, like Yamaha or Honda EU3000.. If you just want power to recharge the battery or run microwave/V/Coffeemaker, then a 200 watt version (much lighter..) would do the job.. There are several "Generator?" threads you can search for more info...

There are limits at some state/local parks for campers of "25 feet or less", but few rangers use tape measures.. Just practicing saying "It's a 25.." regardless of what you get... (And yes, the 30 or longer is a lot of trailer to wo and maneuver... I feel you are looking in right area to start...)

You should strongly consider an Equalizer or other sway-controlling hitch setup.. Even with a lot of tongue weight, there is a lot of trailer to swing back and forth...

The advantage of front BR is primarily that many campsites have best ambience and private views in rear, and so living area in rear of Airstream FB models is better for sitting in dineete, socializing, eating, etc.. Doesn't really make any difference for sleeping..

Finally, interior for dogs is gong to be better in Eddie Bauer model, though both have solid floors (v. carpeting). EB couches and cushions easier for dogs, and outside shower unit is a great idea for dogs, though you can ad that to regular Airstream.. (may be dealer or shop item instead of factory...)

For Finale, if you expect to travel with bikes or kayaks or canoe or other bulky items, the Eddie Bauer model makes sense, and is worth extra cost, in my mind.. If you're just planing to visit RV parks and state/county parks with the dogs, I'd lean towards FC models and not worry..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The 27FB's are 25" longer than the EB 25' according to the specifications. Airstream has a long history of shells ripping from the frame, questionable location of storage compartments resulting in shell cracking & leaks, weak frames that break and sag on the 22'ers just recently. Even designing seat cushions that can't be used as a bed is all well documented here. So they don't always think things through or even test some of these "features"... The dire predictions of problems coming from cutting a huge hatch in the rear seems warranted to me. We'll see!

Just a few of the hundreds of threads on leaking windows, doors, compartments, bad frames, bad ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...kin-46874.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f520...bed-73496.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ure-48105.html
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
A traditional Airstream designs like a Flying cloud, Classic, and International have basically been around a long time. I'm talking a basic design not frills or drapes, etc.
With that said, recently Airstream has come up with new designs almost each year. Like the Pan-Am, Base Camp and some special edition models that turned out to be cool ideas for people who like those features each offers. Some people might say that that will increase their value in coming years because they were special in some way.
On the other hand, since those models are no longer produced by Airstream means that they did not sell well, otherwise they would still be making them. After all, Airstream is about the bottom line($), as are all companies.
My problem with the Eddie Bauer model is that when you load up the rear of the stream with bikes, canoe, or what ever (as in their ads), the trailer becomes useless when traveling and stopping to use the trailer, ie, at a rest area. You would have to step over all that stuff to make lunch, use the toilet, take a nap, whatever, unless you unloaded it in the parking lot during your short rest break.
I realize you didn't mention using it for a canoe or bikes but I think it's worth thinking about the limitations of the model and the way you would like to travel.
I like to have my dogs off the floor and not under foot when camping. I have the rear dinette with the wrap around bench seats in my trailer. We keep the side bench covered and that is where the dogs lay when we are all in the trailer.
I've tried to keep them on the floor, but it turned out to be more trouble than it's worth cause they were always in someones way (especially with large dogs).
As far as the little extras on a new trailer, most are included now (each model is different). But you can still make changes to suit what you like. When I was ordering last year, I ordered a Classic with twin beds, vinyl floor thru out and an extra outside light and switch. Everything else came standard, and standard these days means pretty will loaded.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post
I appreciate all the info! What are the advantages/disadvantages to have the bed in the front or at the back? Also, it looks like the unit has an optional inverter and solar panel charging system - do you think they are worth it to buy? Lastly, apparantly there is no generator built-in so what brand/size would be appropriate for a 25-27 ft. Flying Clould?

Thanks again for all your help!

The 25FB and the 27FB give you a bedroom area that is somewhat private and separated from the living area, or at least it feels that way. They also have the separate show across the hall. The is a major plus when several people are trying to use the facilities.

We do not have the inverter or solar charging unit. The type of camping we do does not warrant these. Whether these systems are worth the money depends on your camping style.

Airstream travel trailers do not have installed on-board generators. We use a pair of Honda 2000's. These have worked our very well for us. There are many threads here on the Forums on the different generators.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The Eddie Bauer is sexy and very interesting, but as mentioned above, it's unproven in terms of model success and any issues it may have over time. And they cost more. BUT if the features it has appeal to you because of the way you wish to use it, then it's worth considering. There is a difference in storage space available which may prove more important than you might think initially...again, depending on how you use it. We kinda like the FB layouts because the back of the trailer is more private in a campground for living...and usually has better views. Neither of these would be "bad" choices... We personally like the Flying Clouds with the aluminum interior (ours is a Safari SE, the line that was renamed to Flying Cloud in 2009), so we are biased...and the Eddie Bauer, while unique and interesting, would not really offer options that we would necessarily seek out. Have you been inside these models? That would be an important thing to do...before you decide what you want...it may change everything for you!

Solar is great, but it can be added later if you decide you want it ...as can the outdoor shower. We are glad we have factory solar and we make good use of it because we dry camp frequently... We also use a 2000 Honda generator. We will get a second 2000w Honda for those trips where we will need AC. We prefer the 2000 watt size beause they are easier to maneuver/lift. And when we don't need two we won't take two.

No one has really addressed length and campground restrictions. We have been in all sorts of campgrounds, and we never have a problem, of course, at only 19'...but we also see huge 5th wheels almost everywhere we go. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in length between 25' and 27'... Sometimes the management pays attention to length restrictions which others don't make an issue of it. We think it's an issue mostly in older campgrounds...it's always best to call ahead if you have concerns in that area or if you think the campground will be busy. The hosts and rangers know which sites are best for larger rigs and they will be able to let you know about their availability, etc.

Welcome aboard and good luck as you begin your Airstream adventure!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
The Eddie Bauer is sexy and very interesting, but as mentioned above, it's unproven in terms of model success and any issues it may have over time. And they cost more. BUT if the features it has appeal to you because of the way you wish to use it, then it's worth considering. There is a difference in storage space available which may prove more important than you might think initially...again, depending on how you use it. We kinda like the FB layouts because the back of the trailer is more private in a campground for living...and usually has better views. Neither of these would be "bad" choices... We personally like the Flying Clouds with the aluminum interior (ours is a Safari SE, the line that was renamed to Flying Cloud in 2009), so we are biased...and the Eddie Bauer, while unique and interesting, would not really offer options that we would necessarily seek out. Have you been inside these models? That would be an important thing to do...before you decide what you want...it may change everything for you!

Solar is great, but it can be added later if you decide you want it ...as can the outdoor shower. We are glad we have factory solar and we make good use of it because we dry camp frequently... We also use a 2000 Honda generator. We will get a second 2000w Honda for those trips where we will need AC. We prefer the 2000 watt size beause they are easier to maneuver/lift. And when we don't need two we won't take two.

No one has really addressed length and campground restrictions. We have been in all sorts of campgrounds, and we never have a problem, of course, at only 19'...but we also see huge 5th wheels almost everywhere we go. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in length between 25' and 27'... Sometimes the management pays attention to length restrictions which others don't make an issue of it. We think it's an issue mostly in older campgrounds...it's always best to call ahead if you have concerns in that area or if you think the campground will be busy. The hosts and rangers know which sites are best for larger rigs and they will be able to let you know about their availability, etc.

Welcome aboard and good luck as you begin your Airstream adventure!
Thanks for the information! One major problem we have had in deciding on the (2) models is that we have not physically seen either one. Apparently there are zero Airstream stocking dealers in Arizona. When I sent an email to Airstream with some questions I got a reply from a dealer in California. I did see the exterior of a Airstream 27 International that is parked in the same covered storage facility that I currently use to store my boat but would definitely love to see the inside of the Eddie Bauer & Flying Cloud in person.

Other potential issue(s) we discovered on this forum is the reliablity of the hatch over time (leaking, rattling, etc.) & storage space concerns. I would imagine Airstream provides a warrantly but issues might not manifest until later on. Regarding the storage space I imagine I would have to be more creative with the Eddie Bauer but do have a camper shell on my tow vehicle so I could store some stuff in the pickup bed.

Also, since you live in AZ also where did you buy your Honda generators? I think I will go with (2) 2,000 watt units as it appears to be popular on the forum which holds alot of weight with me. I checked both Honda & Yamaha but Honda looks to be better based on the postings to my questions.

Lastly, you mention the aluminum exterior of the Airstreams. Are they also made in something other than aluminum? I did not see any on the website.

Thanks again!!!

-dh-
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Just a couple things that came toy mind after reading recent replies:

Whatever the actual length difference actually is between the 25 and 27, it's nearly all accounted for in the hallway wardrobe and kitchen pantry. Take a close look at the difference if those in the floorplans. That's prime storage space, so if storage is a priority, a 27' does make a big difference.

Also, my 2008 International has the outdoor shower. It was a nice surprise, since it wasn't in the marketing materials at all. So that feature isn't exclusive to the Eddie Bauer, though I don't know of it's on all newer models.