Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Yes, Paula! You beat me to it. That sums up the sideways queen perfectly!

We are fortunate because we have a dealer in our city, so we've had the chance to try out several models. The sideways queen isn't a "walkaround" it's a "crawl out the foot". In the pictures, the space between the wall and the bed looks wide enough to walk around. In reality, the widest part is about waist-high. The trailer narrows as it reaches the floor. It's about the width of a foot (with shoes on). Also, you risk bonking your head on the upper cabinet.

If we ever up-size our Airstream, I would love a 27' Eddie Bauer. That would be the best of both worlds. I personally think the 27' is a perfect layout. I love everything about the EB, except for the 25' layout. However, I think the 25' is one of the most popular lengths, so lots of people love it. You've got a major dilemma on your hands! What fun!

Have a great time at the WBCCI meet. You'll get lots of advice from owners there. Tour all the trailers and ask lots of questions.

Best wishes on your search,
Lisa
Finally saw a 25FB & 27FB and the difference in the bedroom was stunning. Even though the Eddie Bauer is very impressive and has some cool features I like we think the better decision for us is the 27FB based solely on the front bedroom. I was amazing to us how much roomier the 27 felt than the 25 in the bedroom!

Any opinions on whether the optional convection oven or additonal awning package is worth it? Apparantly an awning comes standard on one side but not the other unless the awning package is ordered. Also, there is a simulated leather options that looked pretty nice but not sure it would hold up. Lastly, I was wondering if the outdoor shower comes on all 27FB models as I did not see it as an option.

My wife like the 27 FB Internation Signature with pleather so that is what we will probably buy but am always interested in learning as much as I can before I commit to this many $'s

Thanks again to the group for all the help, advice & suggestions!!!

-dh-

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post
Finally saw a 25FB & 27FB and the difference in the bedroom was stunning. Even though the Eddie Bauer is very impressive and has some cool features I like we think the better decision for us is the 27FB based solely on the front bedroom. I was amazing to us how much roomier the 27 felt than the 25 in the bedroom!

Any opinions on whether the optional convection oven or additional awning package is worth it? Apparantly an awning comes standard on one side but not the other unless the awning package is ordered. Also, there is a simulated leather options that looked pretty nice but not sure it would hold up. Lastly, I was wondering if the outdoor shower comes on all 27FB models as I did not see it as an option.

My wife like the 27 FB Internation Signature with pleather so that is what we will probably buy but am always interested in learning as much as I can before I commit to this many $'s

Thanks again to the group for all the help, advice & suggestions!!!

-dh-
The 27 front BR is a wonderful layout...looks like you are going in the right direction!

In Arizona the street side and rear awnings are very much worth it. We had them installed on our Bambi and have never regretted it...it's amazing how much difference they can make.

The convection oven option is a matter of personal preference and the way you plan to cook. We have a regular oven in the Bambi and use it a lot. It's also a great bread box. We don't have an factory microwave, but carry a small portable mircowave when we think we'll use it. We had a convection oven in the small moho we used to have. We had to replace it once, and though we did use it from time to time, we felt a regular oven was a better value (for us).

The upholster in Airstreams is not known for its high quality. But the nice thing about it is that it's relatively easy to make slip covers and new curtains on newer models like yours...we do it all the time. (Really!) So if you like the look, go ahead and get it..if it eventually needs to be replaced, that can be done. ON the other hand if they are charging an arm and a leg for it and you are afraid it won't hold up, you can save your money up front and get slip covers made when the time is right.

I don't know if the outdoor shower is standard...you might be able to determine that on the Airstream website, and it may be part of a trim package. But again, that is something that you can always add if you want. It's done routinely. If you can order it, it's probably best to get it with it included rather than after-market...cost-wise. We thought we might like one of those on our unit, but we haven't done that, and so far we haven't really missed it.

Looking forward to meeting you at Lake Pleasant! (You'll be able to see what we mean about changing the upholstery. )

Onward & upward!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
We have a 2010 27FB Flying Cloud, came with the factory full awning set, conventional oven, and separate (small) microwave.

Given the choice, we would have ordered the same options. On a hot weekend at Pinnacles National Monument, we appreciated the full awnings. We make a lot of use of the oven - roasting potatoes, toasting bread, etc, and like the fact that the oven does not need 120 VAC to run.

Pretty sure the outdoor shower is standard on all models. It's come in handy at the beach, hosing off sandy feet and surf-soaked Golden Retriever!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
YES to the additional awning package. Well worth the money. Those big pano windows let in alot of heat in the summer. The awnings definitely help with keeping the unit cooler.

We have the 25FB Flying Cloud. It works great for us but it is just my husband and me.

Good luck with your purchase.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #33
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper2 View Post
YES to the additional awning package. Well worth the money. Those big pano windows let in alot of heat in the summer. The awnings definitely help with keeping the unit cooler.

We have the 25FB Flying Cloud. It works great for us but it is just my husband and me.

Good luck with your purchase.
It looks like you have the same tow vehicle that I do and I was wondering which hitch system you chose? I am leaning toward at 12,000lb Equalizer Hitch which the dealer indicated would cost me about $500. That is the dealer's hitch of choice and they will install it for me.

We can't wait to start traveling around in our new trailer as the dealer said we are looking at a mid-May delivery date!

-dh-
Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #34
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
We have a 2010 27FB Flying Cloud, came with the factory full awning set, conventional oven, and separate (small) microwave.

Given the choice, we would have ordered the same options. On a hot weekend at Pinnacles National Monument, we appreciated the full awnings. We make a lot of use of the oven - roasting potatoes, toasting bread, etc, and like the fact that the oven does not need 120 VAC to run.

Pretty sure the outdoor shower is standard on all models. It's come in handy at the beach, hosing off sandy feet and surf-soaked Golden Retriever!
We are leaning toward the same optional feature you list also but just wanted to make sure the regular oven was the way to go. I hope the external shower is included but if not we will add one later as my dogs always seem to get a little dirty when running around! Which hitch system did you choose for your tow vehicle?

-dh-
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks for the information! One major problem we have had in deciding on the (2) models is that we have not physically seen either one. Apparently there are zero Airstream stocking dealers in Arizona. When I sent an email to Airstream with some questions I got a reply from a dealer in California. I did see the exterior of a Airstream 27 International that is parked in the same covered storage facility that I currently use to store my boat but would definitely love to see the inside of the Eddie Bauer & Flying Cloud in person.

Other potential issue(s) we discovered on this forum is the reliablity of the hatch over time (leaking, rattling, etc.) & storage space concerns. I would imagine Airstream provides a warrantly but issues might not manifest until later on. Regarding the storage space I imagine I would have to be more creative with the Eddie Bauer but do have a camper shell on my tow vehicle so I could store some stuff in the pickup bed.

Also, since you live in AZ also where did you buy your Honda generators? I think I will go with (2) 2,000 watt units as it appears to be popular on the forum which holds alot of weight with me. I checked both Honda & Yamaha but Honda looks to be better based on the postings to my questions.

Lastly, you mention the aluminum exterior of the Airstreams. Are they also made in something other than aluminum? I did not see any on the website.

Thanks again!!!

-dh-
Are you peeking at my Airstream? I have mine parked in a covered spot next to a big boat here in Tucson.. Would be funny if it was you, and if it is your welcome to contact me and peek inside.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I just had another idea about the Eddie Bauer. One of my friends was complaining about her husband "eats 2 lbs of five-bean dip and has three beers then sleeps next to me".....

I immediately envisioned putting him down on the dinette with the hatch open and the screen pulled down... and his butt pointed aft.

An E.B. could save her marriage!

Paula
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Which hitch system did you choose for your tow vehicle?

-dh-
10000 lb Equali-zer, I don't have a lot of tension dialed in, probably could have gotten by with 8000.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #38
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioM View Post
Are you peeking at my Airstream? I have mine parked in a covered spot next to a big boat here in Tucson.. Would be funny if it was you, and if it is your welcome to contact me and peek inside.
Nope, my boat is currently parked at a storage facility in Gilbert but am looking to find a place closer to my home. There is a new place right off the I-10 in Chandler I looked at today and I counted (5) airstreams parked there!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Dave, a 12000 # Equalizer is way overkill for a 25 or 27 Airstream, especially with your truck. Flexing of the weight distribution bars is desirable to keep consistent tension on the bars, and too stiff bars could overstress (bend) the A-frame of your trailer under certain conditions. The 10000 # Equalizer is appropriate.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #40
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Dave, a 12000 # Equalizer is way overkill for a 25 or 27 Airstream, especially with your truck. Flexing of the weight distribution bars is desirable to keep consistent tension on the bars, and too stiff bars could overstress (bend) the A-frame of your trailer under certain conditions. The 10000 # Equalizer is appropriate.
Thanks for the reply this whole hitch thing is somewhat confusing to me! I had sent Equalizer an email advising them of my tow vehicle and tounge weight on a Eddie Bauer (I since changed my mind to a 27FB International) and here is the response Equalizer they sent me back:

I would recommend our 12,000/1,200 hitch. The reason for this is simple: your loaded tongue weight could be close to 1,000 lbs. With an 833 empty tongue weight, you’ll easily have around 950 lbs of tongue weight with propane and batteries alone. Depending on how you load, you could have tongue weight more like 1,100 or even 1,200 lbs. You could also consider the 14,000/1,400 hitch, if you wanted to have a little extra capacity of the hitch to work with. I’ve seen customers using the 14,000/1,400 hitch with tongue weights as light as 650 or 700 lbs. Since you would have at least 850 or 900 lbs, the 14,000/1,400 would work well for your needs, giving you the strength you’ll need, but also having the flexibility to take the jolts and jars of riding down the road.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Nope, my boat is currently parked at a storage facility in Gilbert but am looking to find a place closer to my home. There is a new place right off the I-10 in Chandler I looked at today and I counted (5) airstreams parked there!
I am pretty sure most of those Airstreams are 4CU folks if it's the new storage unit I've heard about...it sounds like a great facility with a washing bay, dumps station, etc...and they have covered spaces...good in our weather.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #42
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I am pretty sure most of those Airstreams are 4CU folks if it's the new storage unit I've heard about...it sounds like a great facility with a washing bay, dumps station, etc...and they have covered spaces...good in our weather.
Thanks, it's called RV SuperStorage I-10 & Wild Horse Pass < http://www.RVSuperStorage.com >. The place looks brand new but is fairly pricy. I was shocked how empty it was as the place I currently keep my boat is fully booked and bursting at the seams! The new place is approximately 50% more than the place I'm currently at...

-dh-