Old 03-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post
Thanks for the information! One major problem we have had in deciding on the (2) models is that we have not physically seen either one. Apparently there are zero Airstream stocking dealers in Arizona. When I sent an email to Airstream with some questions I got a reply from a dealer in California. I did see the exterior of a Airstream 27 International that is parked in the same covered storage facility that I currently use to store my boat but would definitely love to see the inside of the Eddie Bauer & Flying Cloud in person.

Other potential issue(s) we discovered on this forum is the reliability of the hatch over time (leaking, rattling, etc.) & storage space concerns. I would imagine Airstream provides a warranty but issues might not manifest until later on. Regarding the storage space I imagine I would have to be more creative with the Eddie Bauer but do have a camper shell on my tow vehicle so I could store some stuff in the pickup bed.

Also, since you live in AZ also where did you buy your Honda generators? I think I will go with (2) 2,000 watt units as it appears to be popular on the forum which holds alot of weight with me. I checked both Honda & Yamaha but Honda looks to be better based on the postings to my questions.

Lastly, you mention the aluminum exterior of the Airstreams. Are they also made in something other than aluminum? I did not see any on the website.

Thanks again!!!

-dh-
Hey Dave...

Airstream provides a 2-year warrant on new Airstreams (even if you are not the original owner), so that's the time to get any kinks worked out. We bought ours new from the then-Airstream Dealer in Tucson, Oasis RV. They, and most recently Dillons in Phx have opted out of being dealers as such, though Oasis is still an authorized repair center. We are hopeful that they will once again become a dealer when the ecomony improves. You could call and talk to Joe Pershing, the owner, about it and find out if that's in the future. (800) 658-5863

That was aluminum INTERIOR ... all current Airstream trailers have aluminum exteriors, but some have a cloth-covered interior...Safari SEs up to 2008 and then Flying Clouds starting in 2009 and International CCDs have aluminum interiors.

We bought our Honda generator at a Honda motorcycle dealership in Tucson...they usually also carry generators...and they service them as well, which is good. Camping World also carries them but you pay a premium there I am pretty sure, and the local Camping World in Tucson does not service them (which is very disappointing). Actually, you can probably buy them anywhere that sells generators in general.

The Four Corners Unit of WBCCI is having a rally at Lake Pleasant NW of Phx 7-10 April. You'd be more than welcome to drive up for the day and see all sorts of Airstreams first hand and pick people's minds...there will be a newer 27' front bed and a newer 25' front bed there for sure, plus lots of vintage rigs and just about every size made...I don't know how many we have signed up but I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere in the 30+ range. Nobody in our unit owns an Eddy Bauer Rig (yet!)...but you could get lots of good information and get a sense of what it's like to be inside them...people LOVE to show off their Airstreams! (We're all used to is...we always have to keep our in presentation mode when we camp because invariabley somebody wants to peak inside.)

Let me know if you want more info on the Lake Pleasant Rally and I'll connect you. This is a dry camping rally BTW, so there will also be lots of generators!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #16
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hey Dave...

Airstream provides a 2-year warrant on new Airstreams (even if you are not the original owner), so that's the time to get any kinks worked out. We bought ours new from the then-Airstream Dealer in Tucson, Oasis RV. They, and most recently Dillons in Phx have opted out of being dealers as such, though Oasis is still an authorized repair center. We are hopeful that they will once again become a dealer when the ecomony improves. You could call and talk to Joe Pershing, the owner, about it and find out if that's in the future. (800) 658-5863

That was aluminum INTERIOR ... all current Airstream trailers have aluminum exteriors, but some have a cloth-covered interior...Safari SEs up to 2008 and then Flying Clouds starting in 2009 and International CCDs have aluminum interiors.

We bought our Honda generator at a Honda motorcycle dealership in Tucson...they usually also carry generators...and they service them as well, which is good. Camping World also carries them but you pay a premium there I am pretty sure, and the local Camping World in Tucson does not service them (which is very disappointing). Actually, you can probably buy them anywhere that sells generators in general.

The Four Corners Unit of WBCCI is having a rally at Lake Pleasant NW of Phx 7-10 April. You'd be more than welcome to drive up for the day and see all sorts of Airstreams first hand and pick people's minds...there will be a newer 27' front bed and a newer 25' front bed there for sure, plus lots of vintage rigs and just about every size made...I don't know how many we have signed up but I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere in the 30+ range. Nobody in our unit owns an Eddy Bauer Rig (yet!)...but you could get lots of good information and get a sense of what it's like to be inside them...people LOVE to show off their Airstreams! (We're all used to is...we always have to keep our in presentation mode when we camp because invariabley somebody wants to peak inside.)

Let me know if you want more info on the Lake Pleasant Rally and I'll connect you. This is a dry camping rally BTW, so there will also be lots of generators!
Thanks, I will definitely go to Lake Pleasant that weekend! Will you be there also?

-dh-

Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Dave...yes, we will be there as well...I sent you a PM...
Unit #3954
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post

Definitely buy the Honda from a local Honda dealer. We bought ours from a lawn mower shop; but they can also handle any maintenance or repairs; including ones under warranty. the big box guys usually do not service or repair them.

Ed
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Eddie Bauer

I fulltime in a 25 FB SE Safari (now Flying Cloud). The big thing that irritates me is the sideways Queen, which looks like it has walkaround room on the front (wall) side. Can you walk like an Egyptian - feet sideways? Do you weigh 95lbs and are you less than 5 feet tall? Then the sideways queen won't bother you - unless you like changing your sheets often. SERIOUSLY the 27 footer has a true walkaround queen, but in either case getting to all of the stuff you store under a queen is a bit of a hassle. If I were doing it again I'd get twins just because making the beds is easier and all the under bed storage is so much ore accessable. Snuggling? Uh for 20 minutes ONE twin will do will it not? After that - leave me alone I'm sleepin!

Mine also has carpet in the bedroom - and it only wears right where you get out - and where you sit when drying your feet off after showering. If you get one, whatever one you choose get one without that ratty nasty carpet! (I spent this weekend moving EVERYTHING out and taking my bed apart to get mine OUT. Got stuck half done. Won't go to bed tonight if I don't finish and get the bed back together.)

I really like the look of the Eddie Bauer, but until it comes out in a 27 with twins, I wouldn't even consider it. You lose all of the under dinette storage and all of the over the dinette cabinetry - that is a substantial amount of space. Now of course you could argue that with the fold up benches, you can access stuff under the dinette far easier. You could still get pretty woven bins and baskets - or even nice looking plastic ones - and store plenty of stuff under those benches, they'd just have to be kept neater as they'd be visable. I don't store heavy stuff in upper bins, especially not the one in the back. I have a couple of pillows, a fullsize keyboard for my laptop and my awning lights and pink flamingoes in there now.

Advantages of the 27: The pantry is much wider and more usable. If you get a conventional oven there is a small microwave on one shelf in the pantry. (700 watts - ok for warming stuff, but not much else.) The converter is on the floor under the pantry rather than under the bed. The kitchen drawers are much bigger, and except for the Eddie Bauer the lobster bowl sink is on a stick out island that leaves counterspace for a coffee maker or toaster. The wardrobe is double the size - for a fulltimer who needs "career clothing" that would be a major benefit. If you get twins in either the 25 or 27 there are two half length wardrobes over the foot of the beds These will really stow only about 6 blouses or pants each but hanging storage is precious.

What I like about the Eddie Bauer - I like CCD style overhead cabinets - sliding doors, the leaf imprint on the E.B. are especially nice. The back door - well raise the hatch, pull up the screen and "sweep" the floor out with a leaf blower! The durable floor is nice too. And the dining table - lets face it, the pedestal table is much steadier than the wall mount one (both are a PIA to put up and down). If you want a table that's 2 inches lower for sewing or for using a computer just shorten the pedestal!

I really like the Sunbrella fabrics - if you spend a LOT of time in a unit, wear characteristics become even more important.

From your description of how you're planning to use it, don't sweat your choice. Any of the iterations of the 25 or 27 FB should make you happy.

Now a word on generators and solar. WAIT. I'm not in AZ, but I've got a Honda 1000 generator that gets used 3-4 times a year! Until you know you're going to do a lot of boondocking, don't spend the money. You know about Arizona weather. You camp in the mountains in the summer for the cooler temps! (One A/C won't keep you cool in the valley of the sun in August! Go to the mountains!). A full set of awnings might be a better first choice. If you decide to live in the Airstream for the summer, then buy the Hondas or solar.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Some of my friends also advised me about travel trailer length restrictions at some parks.
We went to stay at a park we have been dreaming of staying at ever since we purchased our 25' FB 2006 Safari. The restriction was 25'. I told him (the park ranger), that our Airstream was 25' and he said that included the hitch too -- he got out his measuring stick (the kind with the wheel that measures). I was surely sweating bullets as he pushed that measuring wheel slowly along the ground next to our Airstream. He said that we "passed" and we were good to stay.

Then that got me thinking . . . is our Airstream really 25' including the hitch or was this guy just feeling sorry for us and let us off the hook (we barely made it to this park -- huge snowfall and icy roads). Either way, we were glad to be there, the roads were very dicey!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The stated length of an Airstream includes the tongue, which is about 3 feet.
Unit #3954
Old 03-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Wow, listening to all this makes me want to get a newer model. (-: But just for grins I will chime in. We have a 1984 27 ft Sovereign with the rear bath. That means twin beds in the middle. Beds have been upgraded to full twin size which cuts down on walk space thru the bedroom but well worth it at night. Two dogs (small) tend to sleep with us. We love our trailer. Not sure why but when I was looking at new ones recently the extra two feet (27 vs 25) really seemed to open everything up. More wardrobe space, easier access to the bed and an extra skylight seemed to be the biggies. I strongly recommend getting the extra couple feet. We were personally torn between the Flying Cloud and the International. I think the Eddie Bauer has a nice look and we have not walked thru one yet. But for good measure, we also want to take kayaks. I will get a rack that allows them to extend over the cab and not interfere with the trailer. Then I do not need a trailer with a hatch.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
We went to stay at a park we have been dreaming of staying at ever since we purchased our 25' FB 2006 Safari. The restriction was 25'. I told him (the park ranger), that our Airstream was 25' and he said that included the hitch too -- he got out his measuring stick (the kind with the wheel that measures). I was surely sweating bullets as he pushed that measuring wheel slowly along the ground next to our Airstream. He said that we "passed" and we were good to stay.

Then that got me thinking . . . is our Airstream really 25' including the hitch or was this guy just feeling sorry for us and let us off the hook (we barely made it to this park -- huge snowfall and icy roads). Either way, we were glad to be there, the roads were very dicey!
So they actually measure the trailer? Wow, good information to know. I would think the trailer length would not include the tounge but evidently it does. What park were you visiting?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well, it depends on where you are, but if they measure, some will measure the actual length including the tongue, and some measure only the coach size...in which case a 19' Bambi would only be 16' if they don't include the tongue....a 25' would be 22', etc. If you get asked, and they don't physically measure, you can always subtract the 3' from your model's designated length!...
Unit #3954
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Walk like an Egyptian . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I fulltime in a 25 FB SE Safari (now Flying Cloud). The big thing that irritates me is the sideways Queen, which looks like it has walkaround room on the front (wall) side. Can you walk like an Egyptian - feet sideways?
Yes, Paula! You beat me to it. That sums up the sideways queen perfectly!

We are fortunate because we have a dealer in our city, so we've had the chance to try out several models. The sideways queen isn't a "walkaround" it's a "crawl out the foot". In the pictures, the space between the wall and the bed looks wide enough to walk around. In reality, the widest part is about waist-high. The trailer narrows as it reaches the floor. It's about the width of a foot (with shoes on). Also, you risk bonking your head on the upper cabinet.

If we ever up-size our Airstream, I would love a 27' Eddie Bauer. That would be the best of both worlds. I personally think the 27' is a perfect layout. I love everything about the EB, except for the 25' layout. However, I think the 25' is one of the most popular lengths, so lots of people love it. You've got a major dilemma on your hands! What fun!

Have a great time at the WBCCI meet. You'll get lots of advice from owners there. Tour all the trailers and ask lots of questions.

Best wishes on your search,
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Well we have been contemplating an acquisition since last fall. After a knee surgery as a result of a ski accident this winter we put things on hold. Anyway, I came across the Eddie Bauer edition online over the weekend so we made the trek over to the dealer today to take a look at the first one they had in as well as the rest of the line up so I thought I'd add my two cents.

In short the 25' Eddie Bauer seems pretty perfect. We've been trying to decide what the smallest trailer is that would accommodate both my wife and I and our two enormous great Danes. My friends all give me a hard time about being too young for an airstream (we're 30) but to camp with the dogs now requires our suburban loaded to the gills with a roof rack and our giant 6 person tent so it really ends up being car camping spots since we're not about to hike everything in to more remote sites for a weekend. I'd actually like to go for the 23' International (just to be 6" narrower and save some weight) but I'm not a fan of that corner bathroom and realistically there's just not enough space for the dogs (unless we give one of them the bed, lol). We plan on spending plenty of time on gravel national forest roads out here in Oregon so every inch will count, and we're quite attached to the year old 'burban as our TV so every lb counts too!

First off the little differences in the E.B., like having the sink not come out as far help widen the aisle. The hatch would make it easy to load up bikes and the like.The pull down screen blocking off that new rear hatch is incredible and would really open up the interior. The larger wheels and slight increase in ground clearance that goes with it. The material choices all seem meant for durability (all textured linoleum floor, tougher furniture fabrics, aluminum on the walls). A lot of things that are also features on other models seem ideally suited for the dogs: the outdoor shower and large freezer (we need ~6 lbs of food a day for the dogs). The fold up sofa may end up being a draw back for someone with kids rather than dogs, it doesn't pull out like the sofa in other models. Also the pedestal table seems kind of awkward, it's nice that you can remove it, but where do you store the table top when it's not in use? All in all it felt roomier than the equivalent flying cloud or international.

As far as specific comparisons to the 27' it's really the bedroom that felt much larger than the 25', and there is considerably more storage space....

For us I think the Eddie Bauer is the one, now to see if I can come up with the money!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
So they actually measure the trailer? Wow, good information to know. I would think the trailer length would not include the tounge but evidently it does. What park were you visiting?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
I'm such a dum dum. I guess it's the tongue -- not the hitch I was referring too, lol This is coming from someone who thought you had to "pump out" your gray/black water but then learned it was "dump". This newbie has a long way to go, lol.

We were visiting the Island called "San Juan Island" which is the main island in the San Juans. The park was called "San Juan County Park." and it was the exact site where the movie Practical Magic was filmed. It was honestly one of the most beautiful spots we have boondocked.

The ranger was VERY strict. He was telling us stories of people who tried to convince him that their trailers were 25' and how he had to kick them out, etc. etc. Ugh, I was so nervous when he was measuring becasue at that point I had no idea if it did include the tongue or not. Now I know!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
...<snip>....that our Airstream was 25' and he said that included the hitch too -- ....<snip>...!
Oh man, he counted the hitch too!?? That just ain't right!

Unit #3954