Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Airstream Bashing Depresses Newbies

After reading a thread where the OP was very disappointed in his unit, I'm not so depressed that I need to phone the suicide hotline, but it's....it's.....upsetting.

Granted, I am still quite ignorant about this Airstream thing, but I am not stupid.

I suppose the naysayers or "realists" could say "caveat emptor" and "You're an idiot for not doing your homework," but I do not think I deserve that. I worked hard, was careful with my finances, and after so many years, was able to finally buy something new and shiny.

Maybe it's upsetting because I grew up poor and it seemed everyone else could afford something "new and shiny."

Or maybe it's because I bought my unit as the ultimate "escape" and any criticisms are viewed as a dead end along that path.

Oh dear.

Is the psychologist in?

p.s. Sorry for posting so many threads; I guess it's all part of that initial enthusiasm.
I will try to restrain myself now.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Never restrain your self! Airstreams are not for everyone but for those who " get it" they are. I am a very particular person (some say a bit too particular) and I love our Bambi! Is it perfect? Nope. Is it water proof, nope does it keep me up at night when it hails, yup but I love her the way she is. If you think spending big bucks will give you the perfect trailer without any problems or upkeep, keep shopping.., you will be dead before you find perfection on any trailer! Go camping and build some memories.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Take away what you want and like

Just take away the information that is valuable to you when you need it and don't worry about the unhappiness of others. There really appear to be many more folks here who are perfectly happy with their AS than those who feel shortchanged vis a vis the amount of money they spent.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
If you gave some people a $1000 bill they would bitch because it was green and wrinkled. Enjoy your Airstream and don't worry about those people. LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
The way I look at it you can buy An Airstream and enjoy and fix the things that go wrong or complain like some on the forums. I have lots of friends that have Some Other Brand they have lots of problems with their trailers. They would trade in a heart beat for my Airstream i have never felt that way about their trailer. In fact after about seven years their trailer is ready to go to the scrap heap my Airstream is just getting broke in. Just my thoughts about my Airstream.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I've wanted an Airstream for YEARS. I finally got one. Is she perfect? Nope. She leaks on occasion. She's old. She has "quirks". She was 70's shagalicous but we "get" her and wouldn't trade her in for anything else. My husband is slightly obsessed with fixing her.

We've found that the "quirks" or fixes are the things other A/S owners like to talk about. Enjoy!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Chances are the person or persons bashing the AS have no clue that "issues" are part and parcel with any pleasure craft. Be it an RV, boat, airplane etc.... Frankly, we've never owned anything that was flawless.

My wife and I both came from lesser means and have worked hard (lucky too) to get to a place where we can afford luxuries like our AS. There have been some disappointments, but I usually forget them when I'm lounging around camp with a glass of scotch. It's about then that I recall that there are a lot of other folks in the world that would literally kill to have our problems.

Bottom line, get out more, see more, do more, and get over it.

Enjoy your AS!
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
After reading this thread I feel blessed.

Got the Airstream new and have had zero problems with it. It's been to the beach, mountains but usually it goes down dirt roads out in the desert looking for the perfect boondock spot. No leaks and everything still works. Sure we've bent the bumper and it has some scratches. But hey those are battle scars and memories. And if we do break it. We'll just fix it and go camping.

We figure to do our best to wear it out from the inside and then be buried in it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
If you gave some people a $1000 bill they would bitch because it was green and wrinkled. Enjoy your Airstream and don't worry about those people. LJH
Exactly!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Things fall apart. Such is the nature of the universe. these people whining about a few airstream problems should try living here for a year.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a 2 year old SOB in our shop right now that is undergoing $12k in repairs. The roof leaks, the floor is rotten, the walls are rotten, half the appliances don't work, and the awning fell off the side of the camper. Imagine how THAT RV owner feels...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'm sorry but I don't see this as bashing...http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...eam-53083.html

"part and parcel"... no way!

Sweet Streams...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I have got half the interior of our Bella out in a shed whilst I chase bad wiring. I am not complaining. I cannot wait to get her fixed and back on the road...hopefully this season!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Think yer airstream is high maintenance, try owning a similar sized boat for a year.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Very little to do with "maintaining".

We expect that.

Sorry... should have said "I"
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Well, 'maintaining' includes 'fixing' things that break. Not just changing the oil.

I suspect some new airstream owners never changed their own oil or spark plugs, and this whole experience is a bit daunting the first time around.

Kinda hard to communicate this to someone who would think a punctured tire is a warranty item.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
The Airstream Legacy did not come with lots of mistakes. The 1972 31' LY with rear bath that we have owned for years was built by Beatrice Foods. Not a high demand coach, based on some folks assessments. However if these were not purchased and refinished based on the owners needs, the Airstream legacy of over 65000 Airstreams or 85% of Airstreams made are still on the road, would not be fact. So all of us are part of keeping the Airstream Legacy alive. The coach with five WBCCI stars representing 25 years of loyalty to the Airstream Club, by the previous owners is part of this great community, that gets passed along to some degree.

Remember that we all learn by our mistakes over the years, even Airstream.
Enjoy what you have.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Someone else on here gave a very good alternative view to the quality issues that Airstream owners perceive; I can't find it but maybe another can. Essentially, Airstream does not produce enough units for the company to get into the same quality bracket as an auto manufacturer. If they went down the Rolls Royce precision craftsmanship route then each unit would cost $250,000 and they'd be out of business in no time. So, we have reasonable quality and a trailer that does, at least, stand the test of time. No other trailer manufacturer can do that.

Anyhoo, in buying an Airstream (new or otherwise) you do have to buy into the fact that they are not perfect and do require some maintaining. But that, my friend, is all part of the experience.

As many others have said, get out there and enjoy your Airstream, it's what it was built for. Mrs Toad and I only get to camp at weekends but during the week we sit out in our baby whilst she's on the driveway, having cups of tea and enjoying the ambiance, planning the next trip and (of course) spotting some of the less than perfect construction. It matters not, though, because she does what she was designed to do and that's all that we care about.

We're two VERY happy Airstreamers!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
25 years later you will still have a very nice trailer. good decision to buy a new Airstream if you can afford it. Some people complain a lot. I know one person who bashes his new airstream. It is at least his 5th Airstream. He must both like Airstreams and likes to complain. If you have a problem fix it and move ahead.

If you can, go on one of the WBCCI caravans. you will meet and travel with people with vast experience and knowledge of airstreams. And people who do not devote their time to sitting around and complaining about Airstreams and WBCCI on the forums. Many of these people bought their Airstream new when they retired and now it is 20 to 35 years old and they are still traveling in it.

We could not afford a new Airstream. We bought one that was 19 years old. We have put about 50000 miles on it in the last 4 years and have stayed in it abut 4 months a year for the last 3 years. Sure, there have been problems, but all fixable.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic

My bad....Love our Airstream, love to "fix" things, love to "complain"...not so much.

Don't understand why so many confuse "fixing things" with Quality Control.
One has NOTHING to do with the other.
We should not have to spend so much time fixing QC issues.

Doubt it? Spend some time reading the QC threads.