Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #101
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Bought a composite airplane lately?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I might be wrong but didn't the westfalia have a diesel powered gen? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #103
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is time, perhaps to remind you of the importance of following the rules. Hijacking is a serious offense and Gringo, you may not be aware of this very serious thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...ing-24723.html

After you read the whole thing (it should take until mid-July), confess your sins, and return, chastened, return here and bash or not bash whatever the subject of this thread is—what is it, anyway?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #104
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.
Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

(eric burdon and the animals)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
A forward thinking company might have introduced a COMPOSITE Airstream-shaped one piece body by now, perhaps painted in your choice of several colours.

That’s how they build airplanes today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Bought a composite airplane lately?
Well, I guess I'm "hijacking" too, but since you mentioned airplanes.....

"Since entering service in 1974 with many technological innovations, such as computerized fly-by-wire control systems, user-friendly cockpits, and extended use of composite materials, 5,717 aircraft have been manufactured by Airbus, an European aerospace company. More than 5,100 Airbuses remain in service.

Not including losses attributable to terrorism, rebellion or military action, Airbuses have been involved in 23 fatal crashes causing the deaths of 2,584 passengers, crew members and people on the ground. In addition, there have been five nonfatal accidents causing 21 serious injuries.

While the overall number of accidents and fatalities are not disproportionate to the crash experience of Boeing aircraft, three of the Airbus crashes involved a separation of the composite vertical stabilizer (tail fin) from the fuselage...."
Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
.....bearing in mind the stresses placed on a jet airliner are less than a trailer, but if AS decided to dip their toe into composite materials, I really would have second thoughts about buying one.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #107
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North West PA , Pennsylvania
"you can't take it with you"....$$$$$......

I LOVE reading these forums because I DO intend to purchse an Airstream in my future...

You all bring up such great points-pros and cons.

I can only hope to learn a lot more from this site.

To anyone going to Slippery Rock, PA ..Rt 79 and Rt 80 are under never-ending construction...many lanes down to one narrow lane but even tho I travel 79 and 80 almost every week I can't recall if Slippery Rock exit is affected.

But then again... just returned from Adirondacks (NY) for a week and some parts of 81 and 88 and 90 were under construction but not too bad..but then again I was not trailering.....(yet!)
Laurie Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #108
wcr

2005 18' Westphalia
Paducah , Kentucky
In response to Zizzag's comment, the Airstream Westfalia had a diesel fueled furnace and engine. The stove, water heater, and generator were/are propane fueled. To the best of my knowledge, only one Westy was retrofitted with a diesel generator. The limiting factor for installation of a diesel generator on both the Westy and the Interstate has been the height of the generators available. The genset used on the Westy was a Power Tech. PRV-3. I hope I got the nomenclature correct. The enclosure for the generator extended below the center chunk of the differential, and Airstream did not feel comfortable with such an installation. Caution had to be exercised entering parking lots and the like because the cabinet could be dragged if the angle of attack was too great. The genset was removed from the Westy. It now resides on a 2010 Interstate Twin. The same considerations must be observed.

Also, the single cyl. Kubota diesel engine is a good bit louder than the Onan 2.5. The genset is a good deal heavier, but it is a full 3.0 kw. I am the former owner of the Westy on which the generator was installed, and the owner of the Interstate on which it is currently installed.

Avards
wcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #109
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Well, I guess I'm "hijacking" too, but since you mentioned airplanes.....

"Since entering service in 1974 with many technological innovations, such as computerized fly-by-wire control systems, user-friendly cockpits, and extended use of composite materials, 5,717 aircraft have been manufactured by Airbus, an European aerospace company. More than 5,100 Airbuses remain in service.

Not including losses attributable to terrorism, rebellion or military action, Airbuses have been involved in 23 fatal crashes causing the deaths of 2,584 passengers, crew members and people on the ground. In addition, there have been five nonfatal accidents causing 21 serious injuries.

While the overall number of accidents and fatalities are not disproportionate to the crash experience of Boeing aircraft, three of the Airbus crashes involved a separation of the composite vertical stabilizer (tail fin) from the fuselage...."
Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage

All is not lost...
OK Alcoa, How 'bout a beter panel for us, not likely to small a market, but we can hope.

06/19 07:40 Alcoa and Spirit AeroSystems Show the Future of Next Generation Jetliner Production is Now with an Advanced Aluminum Fuselage Panel at the Paris Air Show

NEW YORK & PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 19, 2011--
Alcoa and Spirit AeroSystems will debut for the aerospace industry a revolutionary fuselage panel at the 2011 Paris Air Show to highlight the promise of new aluminum-based production solutions for commercial airliners that are dramatically lighter, lower-cost and have lower production risks than composite- intensive aircraft. And importantly, which can be built using existing industry infrastructure.

This full-sized panel was produced with Alcoa's third-generation Al-Li 2060 aluminum-lithium alloy, then stretch-formed by Spirit AeroSystems into the final curved shape for use in a jetliner's fuselage. It demonstrates the compatibility of advanced aluminum alloys with the existing manufacturing supply chain of new commercial jetliners, delivering the strength, damage tolerance, and corrosion resistance of metallics at the lighter weight inherent in Alcoa's new solutions. This new combination of performance attributes and aircraft operating costs available with advanced metallic solutions stands in contrast to earlier assessments that drove some airframers to increased use of composites.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We bought our 2001, 19' Bambi in 2007. We have had no problems with it at all and only just replaced the original tires. We love it and will replace it only with another Airstream. It's a classy little trailer and my DH and I have had fun in it. It's too small for family RV'ng, imho, so if there are more than just two of you, take a look at something bigger.

We just got back from Red Bluff, CA and are headed out to Brookings, OR on Wednesday. Life is good when you're 'streamin'.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
We owned a 1993 25' Classic for 16 years, recently purchased a 2002 30' Classic. In process fixing minor things and we'll be in good shape for another 16 years.

Anything man made requires some maintenance, however, the Airstream doesn't require constant roof maintenance as do some of the others.

Overall, we like the Airstream - even with little faults!
tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #112
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
We owned a 1993 25' Classic for 16 years, recently purchased a 2002 30' Classic. In process fixing minor things and we'll be in good shape for another 16 years.

Anything man made requires some maintenance, however, the Airstream doesn't require constant roof maintenance as do some of the others.

Overall, we like the Airstream - even with little faults!
It ain't maintaining that's be'n "bashed".
Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
if AS decided to dip their toe into composite materials, I really would have second thoughts about buying one.
Airstream tried this idea with their Scout concept. It didn't look anything like the classic Airstream and it would have cost well over $30k for a smaller-than-Bambi trailer. It didn't go further than the Louisville show floor.

But I have no doubt they could do it if they drew on the experience of the Thor mothership. My T@B (formerly a Thor product) was basically built with SIPs - aluminum laminated to insulation.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #114
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Thumbs up

Well our old girl is 38 years new and still going strong we take her everywhere get out on the road and and see this great country the right way
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
So far I'll take it. No leaks yet. AC?HP not working but being fixed. BUT, we are having so much fun. When I make comparisons with some new boats I've owned (Mastercraft, Boston Whaler, Duckworth. It's Airstream 1, boats 0. Honestly these were some pretty good boats bought new and the issues we encountered on these makes this Airstream almost perfect by comparison. As my Dad always said "ya gotta keep up with um kid or it'll get away from ya.
Dan
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I had never heard about the "Scout" so I looked it up. Interesting! We like to consider "the alternatives" when shopping and in this industry they are few and far between. There was nothing that we would have wanted. I would have least have given the Scout a bit of thought...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	154804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scout2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	154805  

Name:	Scout3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	154806  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It is time, perhaps to remind you of the importance of following the rules. Hijacking is a serious offense and Gringo, you may not be aware of this very serious thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...ing-24723.html

After you read the whole thing (it should take until mid-July), confess your sins, and return, chastened, return here and bash or not bash whatever the subject of this thread is—what is it, anyway?

Gene
Oops,
Just to tie it all together I'd say that the bashing of new Airstreams forces one to look for alternatives, "just in case" there might be something out there....
It is a real world we live in people! Perfection is an interesting concept.....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #118
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That boats come full of problems does not make Airtreams better quality, just that the boats are of low quality.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #119
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That boats come full of problems does not make Airtreams better quality, just that the boats are of low quality.

Gene
Hey....I resemble that remark, wisht the AS had half the care that was taken to build this float....Allison.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07097.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	154845  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Interesting thread! I read all 119 posts this evening, just to see what the fuss was about and to see if we ought to drop the idea of an Airstream as a possible full-time coach. The short answer to the question is "The Airstream is still in the running."

Within the next year we will try to decide what class of RV we want for our full-time coach, and then start concentrating on specific brands. Well, that was the plan. Actually, we're doing both together. One coach that has my attention is a Bluebird Wanderlodge, late 80's to early 90's. If one believes only what is discussed on their forum, everyone spends at least as much time fixing their coaches as they do traveling.

I suspect that 'Bird owners, like Airstream owners, tend to be more involved in caring for their own coaches rather than paying someone else to do all of the work. I'm comfortable with that. In fact, I enjoy tinkering. I also know my limits, and when it is going to be cheaper to let someone who knows what they are doing work on it.

On another forum a member reported that a brand new motor home, probably closer to $1,000,000 than $500,000, pulled in across the street from him, and within a few minutes all three air conditioners stopped working. The dealer says it will be at least six weeks before they are able to replace the air conditioners. Talk about not being a happy camper!

Thanks to this forum, I have some idea of what to expect if we buy a used Airstream. Will it have some problems? Of course it will. Will there by issues that come up while we own it? Yes. We'll be asking about the maintenance history of any RV we consider, and if the owner can't provide it we'll look elsewhere.

It might be that a trip to a factory service center once a year or so might be a good idea. Our mpg will get an annual (at least) visit to the dealer for a thorough inspection and repairs of whatever needs fixing (that I can't fix myself). Will that translate into a higher resale price? Who knows. Will it translate into a quicker sale? Maybe. It certainly ought to make the next owner a little more comfortable, knowing that the little trailer has had proper maintenance. I would expect no less from any Airstream.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote