Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I think it's just the breaker panel that is different

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
The "bashing" in the thread title is unfortunate.

The sensible, reasoned comments here by CrawfordGene – and Nick, Bob, Excella CM, mutcth, UK, Splitrock and others - are helpful and useful.

If we seek only feel-good platitudes and lathered-on compliments we’ll have an entirely social media site. There’s too much of that already.

The so-called Wally Byam slogan “ Let’s not make any changes – let’s make only improvements” is ad writer’s hokum, repeated for years now but evidently not used as a motto in either the management offices or out on the production line. It may actually be used by the corporate ownership to stifle innovation.

If the slogan meant anything Airstreams would long ago have had aluminum or galvanized frames and rot-proof floors. There’s probably a dozen or more suitable composite materials for that out there nowadays.

A forward thinking company might have introduced a COMPOSITE Airstream-shaped one piece body by now, perhaps painted in your choice of several colours.

That’s how they build airplanes today.

The Interstate motor home is another example. An innovative, industry-leading model would use ONE fuel, having a diesel powered water heater, space heater and cook stove.

I have that in a 1976 Argosy. It makes even more sense in an already diesel-powered Mercedes van.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post182701

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #101
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Bought a composite airplane lately?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I might be wrong but didn't the westfalia have a diesel powered gen? jim
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is time, perhaps to remind you of the importance of following the rules. Hijacking is a serious offense and Gringo, you may not be aware of this very serious thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...ing-24723.html

After you read the whole thing (it should take until mid-July), confess your sins, and return, chastened, return here and bash or not bash whatever the subject of this thread is—what is it, anyway?

Gene
Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #104
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.
Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

(eric burdon and the animals)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
A forward thinking company might have introduced a COMPOSITE Airstream-shaped one piece body by now, perhaps painted in your choice of several colours.

That’s how they build airplanes today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Bought a composite airplane lately?
Well, I guess I'm "hijacking" too, but since you mentioned airplanes.....

"Since entering service in 1974 with many technological innovations, such as computerized fly-by-wire control systems, user-friendly cockpits, and extended use of composite materials, 5,717 aircraft have been manufactured by Airbus, an European aerospace company. More than 5,100 Airbuses remain in service.

Not including losses attributable to terrorism, rebellion or military action, Airbuses have been involved in 23 fatal crashes causing the deaths of 2,584 passengers, crew members and people on the ground. In addition, there have been five nonfatal accidents causing 21 serious injuries.

While the overall number of accidents and fatalities are not disproportionate to the crash experience of Boeing aircraft, three of the Airbus crashes involved a separation of the composite vertical stabilizer (tail fin) from the fuselage...."
Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
.....bearing in mind the stresses placed on a jet airliner are less than a trailer, but if AS decided to dip their toe into composite materials, I really would have second thoughts about buying one.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #107
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North West PA , Pennsylvania
"you can't take it with you"....$$$$$......

I LOVE reading these forums because I DO intend to purchse an Airstream in my future...

You all bring up such great points-pros and cons.

I can only hope to learn a lot more from this site.

To anyone going to Slippery Rock, PA ..Rt 79 and Rt 80 are under never-ending construction...many lanes down to one narrow lane but even tho I travel 79 and 80 almost every week I can't recall if Slippery Rock exit is affected.

But then again... just returned from Adirondacks (NY) for a week and some parts of 81 and 88 and 90 were under construction but not too bad..but then again I was not trailering.....(yet!)
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #108

2010 22' Interstate
Paducah , Kentucky
In response to Zizzag's comment, the Airstream Westfalia had a diesel fueled furnace and engine. The stove, water heater, and generator were/are propane fueled. To the best of my knowledge, only one Westy was retrofitted with a diesel generator. The limiting factor for installation of a diesel generator on both the Westy and the Interstate has been the height of the generators available. The genset used on the Westy was a Power Tech. PRV-3. I hope I got the nomenclature correct. The enclosure for the generator extended below the center chunk of the differential, and Airstream did not feel comfortable with such an installation. Caution had to be exercised entering parking lots and the like because the cabinet could be dragged if the angle of attack was too great. The genset was removed from the Westy. It now resides on a 2010 Interstate Twin. The same considerations must be observed.

Also, the single cyl. Kubota diesel engine is a good bit louder than the Onan 2.5. The genset is a good deal heavier, but it is a full 3.0 kw. I am the former owner of the Westy on which the generator was installed, and the owner of the Interstate on which it is currently installed.

Avards
Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #109
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Well, I guess I'm "hijacking" too, but since you mentioned airplanes.....

"Since entering service in 1974 with many technological innovations, such as computerized fly-by-wire control systems, user-friendly cockpits, and extended use of composite materials, 5,717 aircraft have been manufactured by Airbus, an European aerospace company. More than 5,100 Airbuses remain in service.

Not including losses attributable to terrorism, rebellion or military action, Airbuses have been involved in 23 fatal crashes causing the deaths of 2,584 passengers, crew members and people on the ground. In addition, there have been five nonfatal accidents causing 21 serious injuries.

While the overall number of accidents and fatalities are not disproportionate to the crash experience of Boeing aircraft, three of the Airbus crashes involved a separation of the composite vertical stabilizer (tail fin) from the fuselage...."
Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage Ground the Airbus? | NowPublic News Coverage

All is not lost...
OK Alcoa, How 'bout a beter panel for us, not likely to small a market, but we can hope.

06/19 07:40 Alcoa and Spirit AeroSystems Show the Future of Next Generation Jetliner Production is Now with an Advanced Aluminum Fuselage Panel at the Paris Air Show

NEW YORK & PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 19, 2011--
Alcoa and Spirit AeroSystems will debut for the aerospace industry a revolutionary fuselage panel at the 2011 Paris Air Show to highlight the promise of new aluminum-based production solutions for commercial airliners that are dramatically lighter, lower-cost and have lower production risks than composite- intensive aircraft. And importantly, which can be built using existing industry infrastructure.

This full-sized panel was produced with Alcoa's third-generation Al-Li 2060 aluminum-lithium alloy, then stretch-formed by Spirit AeroSystems into the final curved shape for use in a jetliner's fuselage. It demonstrates the compatibility of advanced aluminum alloys with the existing manufacturing supply chain of new commercial jetliners, delivering the strength, damage tolerance, and corrosion resistance of metallics at the lighter weight inherent in Alcoa's new solutions. This new combination of performance attributes and aircraft operating costs available with advanced metallic solutions stands in contrast to earlier assessments that drove some airframers to increased use of composites.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We bought our 2001, 19' Bambi in 2007. We have had no problems with it at all and only just replaced the original tires. We love it and will replace it only with another Airstream. It's a classy little trailer and my DH and I have had fun in it. It's too small for family RV'ng, imho, so if there are more than just two of you, take a look at something bigger.

We just got back from Red Bluff, CA and are headed out to Brookings, OR on Wednesday. Life is good when you're 'streamin'.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
We owned a 1993 25' Classic for 16 years, recently purchased a 2002 30' Classic. In process fixing minor things and we'll be in good shape for another 16 years.

Anything man made requires some maintenance, however, the Airstream doesn't require constant roof maintenance as do some of the others.

Overall, we like the Airstream - even with little faults!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #112
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
We owned a 1993 25' Classic for 16 years, recently purchased a 2002 30' Classic. In process fixing minor things and we'll be in good shape for another 16 years.

Anything man made requires some maintenance, however, the Airstream doesn't require constant roof maintenance as do some of the others.

Overall, we like the Airstream - even with little faults!
It ain't maintaining that's be'n "bashed".

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote