Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member
 
Redcobra's Avatar
 
2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 38
I have purchased a number of expensive cars thinking they would be issue free. Sad to say that hasn't been the case either. But I enjoy driving them anyways and just get them fixed when things break or don't work right. It's all part of the experience. Airstreams are no different. Mine isn't perfect, but I love it and wouldn't trade it for a new SOB.
__________________

__________________
God Bless All the Airstreamers as they Travel
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #44
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Well said Tom..

Some on this thread may be a little surprised to learn that the Airstream "Lifestyle" has been a part of our lives for over 25yrs, something I will NEVER regret.

If my QC posts bother some out there, well.... "thats the way the World goes round". The issues we have had to deal with on our new in 03 Classic have upset us. It has nothing to do with the necessary maintenance we all know we will have to deal with. A lot of thought and angst went into the purchase, after all it meant we were turning loose our 63 Safari after 18 Seasons.
Granted most of our concerns with the Classic turned up in the first 5yrs, but remember you have a 2yr warranty and there are bound to be "warranty" problems that occur after the term has expired. Extended service plans?...none were available at the time, and my job experience taught me that most had way to many exclusions hidden in the small print.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not so much bitch'n 'bout Streams as venting about the lack of quality control.

It has everything to do with quality vs pricepoint of a new unit.


Believe me I'm happy that 'yer happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAMN20IN20THE20ADIRONDACKS201.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	132496   Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20020.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	132497  

__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #45
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
If they were perfect, if they didn't need work

We wouldn't be here talking about them.











Would we?
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #46
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
We wouldn't be here talking about them.











Would we?
Exactly. Nobody talks about the tire that didn't blow, the air conditioner that didn't fail, the battery that held a charge, the awning that didn't collapse under the weight of all the rainwater, the tow vehicle that didn't vomit its engine halfway through a vacation.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I suspect some new airstream owners never changed their own oil or spark plugs, and this whole experience is a bit daunting the first time around.
Gosh, I've never changed either the oil or the spark plugs in my trailer!
.
__________________
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #48
one of those
 
Gringo's Avatar
 
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well said Tom..

Some on this thread may be a little surprised to learn that the Airstream "Lifestyle" has been a part of our lives for over 25yrs, something I will NEVER regret.

If my QC posts bother some out there, well.... "thats the way the World goes round". The issues we have had to deal with on our new in 03 Classic have upset us. It has nothing to do with the necessary maintenance we all know we will have to deal with. A lot of thought and angst went into the purchase, after all it meant we were turning loose our 63 Safari after 18 Seasons.
Granted most of our concerns with the Classic turned up in the first 5yrs, but remember you have a 2yr warranty and there are bound to be "warranty" problems that occur after the term has expired. Extended service plans?...none were available at the time, and my job experience taught me that most had way to many exclusions hidden in the small print.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not so much bitch'n 'bout Streams as venting about the lack of quality control.

It has everything to do with quality vs pricepoint of a new unit.


Believe me I'm happy that 'yer happy.
after reading all your trials and tribulations....I am agreeing with you. I think you got a lemon. Statistically, it HAS to happen to someone every now and then, I suppose.

I know I've had a few.
__________________
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #49
one of those
 
Gringo's Avatar
 
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Gosh, I've never changed either the oil or the spark plugs in my trailer!
.

Please tell us you haven't been paying someone else to do it...
__________________
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #50
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Please tell us you haven't been paying someone else to do it...
I took my F250 diesel in for an oil change, and the tech recommended I get new spark plugs and wires for it. I don't get my oil changed there any more.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member
 
dsrtgrls's Avatar
 
2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 244
Images: 4
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I took my F250 diesel in for an oil change, and the tech recommended I get new spark plugs and wires for it. I don't get my oil changed there any more.
that's some funny sh*t right there
__________________
"Open paddock 9!"
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
Airstreams are made by hand - new units will have issues that need to be tweaked - Airstreams need continual maintenance...

Get those two facts and you will be a happy "streamer"...
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 621
For the most part we have had little trouble with our A/S. For the ones we have - we just figure out how to fix them. And since Rusty Rivet retired - it gives him something to do, research, or otherwise occupy him.
Thinking that if something is troublesome and feels like to much work, one gets rid of it and moves onto something else.
We plan on fixing things as needed and seeing as much of this great USA has to offer. And if a problem turns out to be more than we are able to deal with - we will call Lars - our local RV guy who has done many things for us. Plus we have Sutton A/s in Eugene if really neede
Go forth and camp - camp - and camp. As you explore this great country you will have memories (which is what it is all about) that will last a life time. And if you have kids and grandkids and great grandkids (bring them along) you will pass on something - priceless. Best, Susan
PS you could always tent camp - not to come loose, break or fail, just a thought.
__________________
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #54
one of those
 
Gringo's Avatar
 
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I took my F250 diesel in for an oil change, and the tech recommended I get new spark plugs and wires for it. I don't get my oil changed there any more.
Of COURSE not! if the fool couldn't see that all you really needed was a new coil and distributor cap, you certainly don't want him messing around with yer Ford.
__________________
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member
 
1984 31' Excella
Saugerties , New York
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Images: 5
We traded our 2005 Pioneer "wobble box" for a 1984 Airstream...go figure, some people can't, but we "get it". Jim and I are havinga blast doing some work on her and love every minute we spend in her. Some problems but so much class it isn't even funny. We feel like we finally have our dream.
__________________
JCINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #56
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Of COURSE not! if the fool couldn't see that all you really needed was a new coil and distributor cap, you certainly don't want him messing around with yer Ford.
Eggzackly...
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW: 5th Wheel Airstream Airtrekker Boondocking 38 06-25-2016 10:52 PM
Where not to buy an airstream scorpiontimo Off Topic Forum 25 04-27-2011 06:09 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.