Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Airstream and Parrotheads... a connection??

O.K. so following a somewhat successful post regarding Flyboys and the Airstream connection I'll through this one out to you all.
I've noticed a few... well more than a few, Parrotheads lurking around the forum. You can tell some of them by their signatures. Of course you can tell mine right away too. But some of you aren't showing your true colors...yet, so here's your chance to come clean.
For all those who love the Island Sound, the free spirit, the music, the books, the life.... of Jimmy Buffett.
I'll lead us off.... I'm a reformed (sort of) Parrothead. I was a founding member of the Ocala Parrothead Club. They're getting ready to celebrate a 10 year anniversary next month!!
I was the perpetual VP/Master of Cerimonies at our monthly meetings. The battle cry was, "are we having fun yet?" I served one year as President .... then out!!
Moving to SC put a damper on the PH thing as the closest club was in West Columbia and I've grown wiser about heading out onto the road after a few 'Ritas.
I also was the bus master.... renter of the bus to the Orlando concert every year... mixer of the unlimited 'Ritas on the bus included.
So let's hear from all you JB fans. I'm sure there's more than a few stories to be told.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Not in the running at all, but we sure had a great time with old friends in Key West last February at Margaritaville And eventually found our way back to the car! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Goin' where the weather suits my clothes...........

Can't say I've been Pres.. of any fan club but sure love his music and laidback style....who wouldn't want to hang with him... he's a cool cat.

Marketing Genius…he was #7 on the Rolling Stones top earners list last year at $44 Million!

That will buy just about any boat (yacht) , plane, an Airstream for each one of your friends and still have a huge pile of mula left to do good for many less fortunate......

So what's your favorite Buffett song?
and how many times have you seen his show?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
t of tome in KW

I am not a Parrot Head per se, but I have spent a lot of time in KW. I grew up in Miami in the 50's and 60's. When I was a senior in high school (1965), we were in KW whenever we could come up with enough gas money. It was a great place where nobody ever got carded. In those days, if one was not careful, the blosum of youth could be easily lost.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
I am a reformed Parrot Head. Now I have Wife and kids no more "Why don't we....". I have made a heavly sceened tape for trips that is allowed on trips and the kids always want a cheese burger in paradice.
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Going to see JM in Las Vegas in October!!

Hopefully I'll remember the concert...

Cheers!

Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
I guess I'm a closet PH

Haven't been to any of his concerts but keep my Sirius Sat. radio programmed on the Margaritaville channel. Also love the Keys, Carribean and south Florida. Hopefully will get down that way again next year.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
http://www.amazon.com/Boats-Beaches-...638353?ie=UTF8

Boats, Beaches, Bars, and Ballads...

Is there anything more to say?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile "I blew out my flip-flop, stepped on a pop-top..."

We named our Airstream Margaritaville...
Sorry to say no concerts yet, I've only been to the Margaritaville in NOLA, three or four times--it is cool as there's a historic photo of Jimmy and Ed Bradley as altar boys near the front door!

We love his music! Looks like an Air/Parrothead rally might be in order! 'Spose there'd be any margaritas there?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Don Chu Know....

Seen him 5 times.....Oh the stories I could tell! The shows are SO MUCH FUN! Especially the outdoor concerts.

My sister still has a yearly Buffet party that we attend. We're all older now, and there are young'uns running around, so the "fun" isn't quite like it used to be, but putting in his CD can sure bring back some great memories! Wouldn't it be awesome to have a AS rally at a concert! --dave (A pirate look(ing) at 40)
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramynot2000
Haven't been to any of his concerts but keep my Sirius Sat. radio programmed on the Margaritaville channel. Also love the Keys, Carribean and south Florida. Hopefully will get down that way again next year.
I am listening to Radiomargaritaville.com on my computer.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Glad to hear from all of you PH's and PH-maybe's too. Favorite song....man that's a tough one.... Let's see, oh ya! How 'bout "Schoolboy Heart"? Just replace the lyric "novelists eye... with photographers eye" and you've got me to a tee! "I fly, I sail, I throw caution to the wind..."
I've been to seven concerts that I can remember and a few that I can't.
Been to Margarittaville in KW, NOLA (ouch!!!) Orlando, Myrtle Beach.... so far.
I think the ultimate pre-concert tailgate party would be an Airstream Forums Rally in the parking lot. Might even get some mention from the stage too.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Glad to hear from all of you PH's and PH-maybe's too. Favorite song....man that's a tough one.... Let's see, oh ya! How 'bout "Schoolboy Heart"? Just replace the lyric "novelists eye... with photographers eye" and you've got me to a tee! "I fly, I sail, I throw caution to the wind..."
I've been to seven concerts that I can remember and a few that I can't.
Been to Margarittaville in KW, NOLA (ouch!!!) Orlando, Myrtle Beach.... so far.
I think the ultimate pre-concert tailgate party would be an Airstream Forums Rally in the parking lot. Might even get some mention from the stage too.
So many good songs, Son of Son of a Sailor, Cowboy in the Jungle, so many more. When is the rally ?

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
We named our Airstream Margaritaville...
Sorry to say no concerts yet, I've only been to the Margaritaville in NOLA, three or four times--it is cool as there's a historic photo of Jimmy and Ed Bradley as altar boys near the front door!

We love his music! Looks like an Air/Parrothead rally might be in order! 'Spose there'd be any margaritas there?
I saw Jimmy and Ed Bradley do 60 Minute man at the Jazz Fest here in New Olreans many years ago, what a great time.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey Jim, not so much when but where??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, I am currently listening to "Buffett Live: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays". We named our Airstream after my wife's favorite JB song as you can see below. Mine has to be a toss up between "Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season", which is very appropo for the folks in FL today like my mom, and "A Pirate Looks at 40". Which like JB says in the intro to the song on his live album "Meet Me in Margaritaville", I have but that one astern.

I have been a Buffett fan since I first heard Margaritaville way back in college when it first came out. A couple of others that are favorites are "It's My Job" and "It's Saturday Night and I Ain't Got Nobody". There are too many others to list.

Our Airstream does have split personality--Tropical JB and Disney. What can I say, I have two great addictions.

BTW, Jimmy Buffett is consistantly in the top five grossing concert series every year (often #2) and has been for nearly 20 years. Not bad for someone who never won a Grammy!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
me too!

I've been a loooong time parrothead (although when I first started listening to JB's music, I don't think they called us PH's???). An absolute neccessity on road trips during the early 80's in Montana and still today.

I've got most, if not all, his albums, tapes, CD's, DVD's and by now, my three girls and wife have all grown up with JB playing, all the time.

My wife sticks in some John Denver on occassion (and she is an equally rabid fan of his) so our music aligns well with our A/S.

JB and I share the passion for aviation and I thougt it fitting that I name our A/S "Hemisphere Dancer" after his airplane, a Grumman Albatross....lots of shiny aluminum and rivets too!

Haven't been to a concert in years but hope that changes soon...

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Love Buffett

The first time that I saw a Pink Flamingo fastened to the top of someones hat, I was at a Frank Zappa concert. I cracked up laughing, and thought of Jimmy.
I have to agree with Minnie's mate. Of all of the Great Buffett songs Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season, and "Pirate" are my favorites. Son Of A Son Of A Sailor also rates high on the list. Jimmy said "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I,m dead". I agree.
Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk
...Son Of A Son Of A Sailor also rates high on the list. Jimmy said "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I,m dead". I agree.
Bob,
Ditto, Bob! The list could go on and on for me. I had a 12 CD changer in my last truck...all Jimmy Buffett. My current truck only has 6 CD changer so it was a tough decision on which ones made the cut.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Hey Jim, not so much when but where??
I suggest New Orleans. Well this could turn into something really fun. It would have to be planned out well in advance but sure sounds like a good time.

BTW I listen to radio Margaritaville in my truck a lot, Jimmy will turn 60 Christmas day.

I have a couple of picutres of Jimmy and Jerry Jeff Walker I shot at a concert pre Margaritaville. I will have to see if I can find them and post them. One is autographed by Jerry Jeff Walker who signed it across Jimmys face. I hope they are intact in my attic as Katrina did give me some roof leaks.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost