Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sure Patrick, we all feel your pain. Gotta fly that wide body. Dirty job.
I bet the hard part is all about, "what do I want to read next." I've seen so many corp. pilots sitting in the GA terminals reading, waiting, wondering when the boss will show up so they can go fly again.

I've gotten up close and personal with a 601. Did and air to air photo shoot out in OK. Have a series of shots with the shadow of the C210 on the fuselage.... nice and close.

We're zooming along and he's down on stick shaker. You may have seen it on Trade-A-Plane's cover back in 88-89. It was the NBAA issue that year.

Reminds me of a joke:

Janitor is sweeping the terminal. As he passes the corp. pilot sitting reading on the bench the pilot hears him mumble, "I hate this fu**ing job."
This goes on for a few passes and the pilot can't help himself. Finally he stops the janitor and says, "if you hate your job so much why not just quit and go find something you like to do?"

The janitor looks at him with big eyes and a surprised expression and says, "what! .... and leave AVIATION??"
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
OK, since everyone else is chiming in...Got my private certification in 1968. Have all the ratings and certificates, including all for helicopters. Joined the USAF in 1971, did beautiful Southeast Asia and all other parts of the world prior to retiring after the first gulf war. Currently flying international for a major cargo carrier that will absolutely, positively get it there! I have 11 more months till I fully retire and really begin to enjoy the new Airstream

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Hi! Yeah you guys put me to shame - I started lessons for my 45th birthday and caught the bug. Realized I could never afford to buy what I wanted commercially so joined the EAA and started learning. I decided early that I preferred aluminium to tupperware and selected and built a Van's RV-6a. A very capable tandem 2 seat nosedragger.

Well, - Passed my Single engine land. Put 100 hours on the RV (is the name co-incidence?) and flew to Oshkosh. Came back and received an offer I couldn't refuse for the plane.
That was some 5 years ago...I an no longer current - really don't have the time right now and doubt I could still pass the medical unaided.

Right now the only aluminum I have is the avion 34' I pick up tomorrow - but I'm sure I will be able to repair any loose rivets!!!

Great thread!
Rob.
Attached Files
File Type: doc plane2984.doc (94.5 KB, 54 views)
Robmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #64
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
That would be nice to know. They way things are going for me I will probably never fly a Turbine powered airplane.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #65
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
That would be nice to know. They way things are going for me I will probably never fly a Turbine powered airplane.
hey, I was looking at the pics on your website the other day...wanted to ask: how do they use that Maule for "firefighting"?

sweet looking airplane. and the nose wheel is in the back, where it belongs.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #66

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Air attack and recon for small fires

Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #67
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
hmm. how does one "attack" with a Maule? lol!!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #68

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
AIr Attack is merely a supervisory roll. We direct the action.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
More Aluminum

I just added this aluminum art piece to my collection. I am on the left, the previous owner is on the right. I flew it home to Minnesota from Texas a week ago.

I previously owned a 1974 Cherokee 140, 1948 Bonanza V-tail, and 1964 Twin Comanche. Odd that the oldest was by far my favorite, so after an 8 year break, I'm back "home" in this 1960 Debonair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1536 (Small).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	41058  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats Dan!!

Dan-

Congratulations on bringing the Debonaire home... I almost bought an identical looking Deb in 1978, but didn't have the $16K... Comanche was $5K less expensive.. Sigh... Glad you found a way to afford alternative riveted transport again...

You should head to Amazon.com and get a copy of Martin Caidin's book Cross Country Flying from 1961... Amazing stories and photo's of his travels in new 1960 Debonaire around the US....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Dan, nice Deb.! How many hours, AF/SMOH? Vintage panel or updated?

I'm on my way to Alaska on the 9th of August and am planning a BFR and some time in a C172RG (Cutlas). Time to get back in the saddle.

Hope you're enjoying your new tin.

I just told the owner of the company I am National Sales Manager for that I want a Mooney 231 for a company car.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #72
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Between college & starting a family I flew sailplanes & a little SEL. Owned a Schweizer 1-26 for a couple years, but sold it around the time our oldest turned two.

Did a couple of contests with it, including the 1992 1-26 nationals.

Of the airplanes I've been able to have my hands on the stick, including a 450 Stearman, a Monocoupe, an assortment of Cubs, Champs, Citabrias, as well as "the usual suspects," the 1-26 is by far my favorite.

I found out last weekend that the instructor who signed my first glider entry passed away. He was 93, and had a license signed by one of the Wright brothers. RIP Alcide.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Guess I'll chime in too. First, let me express to all of you heavy-iron military guys, THANKS from the rest of us. We do what we do in no small measure because you did what you did! You're all heros to the rest of us!

As for flying passions... Where are all of the guys flying composites? I have been flying for about 14 years and have 800+ hours. With very little exception it is all in singles PA28,C172,C182... but the vast majority of my time is in Cirrus. I actually work there and truely love what I do. It is an amazing company. I often have the chance to fly for work and can hardly believe how cool it is to jump in a new plane and blast to a meeting... And to be getting paid to do it is just about the greatest gift one could hope for.

I think it's actually honorable to love both rivets and composites... isn't it? At least as long as hte composites are on an aircraft???

Seeing the many posts of all of you guys... I would certainly welcome any of you to drop by and visit us in the frozen Tundra (Duluth, MN) anytime you're in hte neighborhood. Its a really cool tour if you love aircraft as much as it appears we all do. We'd be honored to host any of you...

I had always assumed many of us shared this passion, just never thought to look for a thread to this effect! Thanks for sharing...

On a slightly more depressing note... Had a tree fall on my one-year-old Bambi this week. Big winds up here - did a job on my unit. I have been in touch with Jackson Ctr and have inquired about them handling the repiar... Any of you guys have any experience with the home field guys repairing body work??? Hmmm. Hoping for returning it to a like-new condition (or very close) as it is a newer rig.
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #74
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
what do you do for Cirrus??

looks like we need an "envy" smiley. guess I'll just use this one, being green with it...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Dan, nice Deb.! How many hours, AF/SMOH? Vintage panel or updated?
It has about 4800 TT and 1200 SMOH. The panel is old-style, but with new electronics - Garmin 430 GPS driving a King KCS-55a HSI and STEC-50 Autopilot, KX-155 Nav/Com w/GS, etc.

I loved my old Bonanza... the only thing I disliked about the design was the Bonanza tail wag. The Deb does not have that problem... flies straight and solid. I have always been impressed by Beech 33/35/36 gear doors - they fit so well that you would have difficulty sliding a business card in the gaps once retracted - very clean. Bonanza's are amazing aircraft, remembering they were designed around 1946 and had mostly minor changes over the decades.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
As an update for all of this group who are out of medical or not current...

I'm the proud holder of a renewed Class III medical! And I'm on my way to Anchorage Alaska next week on vacation.

While in AK I'll be having a BFR and complex check ride. The plan is to fly a 172RG Cutlas (a.k.a. Gutless) for the duration.

Wish me well as I climb back into the saddle folks.

I'm so excited.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm Current!!!

Well folks I did it... I'm current again. Flew Friday for a bit after some ground refresher and surprised both myself and the young instructor. I can still do this.

The old skills where a bit rusty but I made the grade and flew the C-172RG fairly well. All the old stuff like stalls and slow flight are more fun than I remembered. Take Flight Alaska at Merrill Field (MRI) was great to work with.

On Monday we returned from Seward and I once again had the opportunity to fly with another instructor who will never fly with me again.... Each of these young guys are off to fly either freight or charter.

Monday I did the full BFR ground review and then it was off to the practice area to show my skills.

All landings where to the instructors satisfaction and he was happy to sign me off as a newly reuped flyer.

So now I'm off on a new quest to improve my skills and start using local rental aircraft in Sumter to further my travel needs as required... If you go way, way back in this thread you'll see that I've never flown as a hobby. It has to be justified as a means to an end.

But what the heck I'm thrilled that I passed. Now my new total time is 2.4 hours and 8 takeoff and landings. Lots of work left to do but I'm happy with the various compliments paid by both instructors and am committed to my old wisdom of the license being a ticket to learn.

Edit: I'm actually only current for daylight as I can't find any darkness. You know it stays light up here until after my bedtime? It's still light out at 10:00pm!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #78
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Good Job!!

Quote:

But the most "fun" flying I've ever done was rotorcraft. I'd still like to fly nothing else if someone else paid the bills.
I'm with you all the way Glen!
remember there are 2 types of aircraft- fighters and targets, unfortunately a chopper is not a fighter, but then again I've never seen a fighter rescue a downed pilot either.

Enjoy your freedom! DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Well folks I did it... I'm current again. Flew Friday for a bit after some ground refresher and surprised both myself and the young instructor. I can still do this.

The old skills where a bit rusty but I made the grade and flew the C-172RG fairly well. All the old stuff like stalls and slow flight are more fun than I remembered. Take Flight Alaska at Merrill Field (MRI) was great to work with.

On Monday we returned from Seward and I once again had the opportunity to fly with another instructor who will never fly with me again.... Each of these young guys are off to fly either freight or charter.

Monday I did the full BFR ground review and then it was off to the practice area to show my skills.

All landings where to the instructors satisfaction and he was happy to sign me off as a newly reuped flyer.

So now I'm off on a new quest to improve my skills and start using local rental aircraft in Sumter to further my travel needs as required... If you go way, way back in this thread you'll see that I've never flown as a hobby. It has to be justified as a means to an end.

But what the heck I'm thrilled that I passed. Now my new total time is 2.4 hours and 8 takeoff and landings. Lots of work left to do but I'm happy with the various compliments paid by both instructors and am committed to my old wisdom of the license being a ticket to learn.

Edit: I'm actually only current for daylight as I can't find any darkness. You know it stays light up here until after my bedtime? It's still light out at 10:00pm!!
Congrats Glenn, now maybe they'll let you up in one of these:

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Drasco , Arkansas
Retired C-130 Loadmaster, 7,500+ hours. Loved every minute of it.
TCM
TCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote