Old 07-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga501
I was watching an FAA program a couple of weeks back and the guest
was stating common characteristics of pilots. He stated that they were
usually the first born or if not, they picked up 'the slack' in the family where
their siblings dropped the ball, and that they were adventurous/risktakers.
Maybe between the adventurous part and the love of aluminum, maybe
there is a connection !!!
well, that's a "whole-nuther" topic for discussion...but without knowing who that guest was, I'd have to disagree with most of that statement. I don't fit any of those descriptions. "Risktakers" don't last long in the flying biz. But I suppose that word can be defined in various ways.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga501
I was watching an FAA program a couple of weeks back and the guestwas stating common characteristics of pilots...they were adventurous/risktakers. Maybe between the adventurous part and the love of aluminum, maybe there is a connection !!!
and left handed and, believe it or not, afraid of heights (more so than the general public). The trick is, don't look down.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
and left handed and, believe it or not, afraid of heights (more so than the general public). The trick is, don't look down.
hmm...not left handed, either. I believe the heights thing. I'm afraid of heights from which I can fall and hurt myself. like...a ladder. can't fall off an airplane. well...not by accident.

your sig reminds me....I want to get a blimp rating. where do I go to get one of those?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Crusier Overlander
douglasville , Georgia
Hi Chuck,
The guest speaker was a gentleman from the ntsb as an accident
investigator. The topic was to do with the cause of aviation
accidents; he started off with the 'make-up' of those who fly.

Actually, I'm afraid of falling off ladders, too!!
Steve
Old 07-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
I dread getting up on the roof and scary scenes in movies where people are on a tall building just drive me batty.

OTOH, I have rolled a F-86 right off the deck and I used to grab the static line and hang out the door of a C-119 (with parachute) with no fear. It is probably because I am inhently clumsy on the ground but feel at home in the air.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #20
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
I, like several others envy and appreciate you military fly boys. Where would we be without the likes of you. Thank you.

600 SEL hours since 1988. All but about 20 in a 1970 C172 that I haven't flown in almost 2 years. She is a beauty with new paint and interior 3 years ago. Got my medical 2 weeks ago and am going to get my BFR real soon. Might even get my float rating in leu of my BFR. Lots more fun.
My plane doesn't have floats, but maybe some day I will get a set.
Big brother retired NorthWorst pilot got me going years ago.

JB
C-172 7189G
Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Progress ...

I was discussing the advances in equipment with a friend recently. When I first started flying jets, our equipment was barely better than WW II stuff. Our helmets were full of shoestring lacing and hurt like hell after a little while while our oxygen masks had a strap across the upper lip that rubbed us raw. A lot of us grew moustaches to avoid having to shave that upper lip.

On ejection, we had a 37mm cannon shell that knocked the dickens out of you and a manual open parachute. No ground level rocket ejection; if the engine quit on takeoff, the best you could hope for was to ride it in and get a broken back and the worst outcome was to burn. We finally got butt snappers that kicked us out of the seats and automatic chutes about 1955 or 1956. No fancy helmet visors, we wore good old-fashioned goggles.

The F-86D had a tendency to blow up in mid air or have a turbine wheel break and cut thehydraulic lines to the tail. The fuel system used hardened vacuum tubes and failure of the wrong tube pumped more fuel than the engine could handle. A forward fire warning light meant "Get out fast".

We flew without afterburner one summer because of constant failures. Taking off in Texas heat without AB was a true adventure. We barely cleated the hill at the end of the field.

When I was called back up in 1961, we finally had comfortable masks and helmets and, of course, the butt snappers and automatic chutes. Even in Europe in 1962. we were doing radio range and ADF letdowns in jets. Now, that can be exciting! At Madrid, on departure, we even had to use a BFO to tune 3 ADF stations in quick order. We usually just flew them by dead reckoning if we were solo.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
herc now

I'm on the other side. I,ve been doing aircraft sheetmetal maint since 1975. Started in the USAF on F105's and F-4's got out and let the GI bill send me to school for my A&P tickets. I think I,ve worked for every airline that went bankrupt in Denver. Most of my time has been in aircraft structural repair (sheetmetal). I've been trying to get out of metalwork my whole career but always had to fall back on it every time the airline went bankrupt. I've even worked for myself in between airlines. Started on Conviar 580's at the Original Frontier got laid off went to Stanley Avaition doing metalwork but I quit that and went to the Ports of Call travel club working (metalwork) on boeing 707's. Got laid off went to Continental Airlines doing sheetmetal work again. Traveled alot getting broke airplanes to the maint .center. Boeing aircraft there that I worked on were 727's, 737's, 747's and Douglas DC-9 and DC-10's. also worked on Airbus A300 and A320. Got laid off there and tried my hand with Medical Helicopters. This was not a marrage made in heaven and I went on my own for a few months repairing General Avaition aircraft but got tired of putting leans on Aircraft to get paid. I've been were I'm at now since 1994. I,m kind of a Jack Of All Trades now. I work for a weather research outfit. I,m still doing metalwork but not like before. I went to school and got my Flight Engineer's ticket for our highly modified C-130. I travel all over the world now doing weather research and I love it. I'll be going to school in Savannah this Sept. and Oct. for our new Gulfstream V. I couldn't begain to guess how many rivets I shot and bucked in my life. I'd be a rich man if I just got a penny for every one I,ve ever shot. I built a Pitts S2B a few years back and helped a friend of mine build a Harmon Rocket (Vans RV4 with an IO540 under the cowl )that just flew for the first time last month. Wow what a mouthfull
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I was discussing the advances in equipment with a friend recently. When I first started flying jets, our equipment was barely better than WW II stuff. ...On ejection, we had a 37mm cannon shell that knocked the dickens out of you and a manual open parachute. ...We flew without afterburner one summer because of constant failures. Taking off in Texas heat without AB was a true adventure. We barely cleated the hill at the end of the field... Even in Europe in 1962. we were doing radio range and ADF letdowns in jets. Now, that can be exciting! At Madrid, on departure, we even had to use a BFO to tune 3 ADF stations in quick order. We usually just flew them by dead reckoning if we were solo.
Luckily, I was right on the cusp as technology came flooding in--started out doing ADF approaches in the weather in the Hun, 37mm ejection system in the A-37, and never anything better than an iron sight and dumb bombs. You had to be good, but boy was it fun. To eventually wind up testing the F-117 and using lasers and and smart bombs--what a transition.

Pahaska, did you ever meet James Salter? His book, Burning the Days, will bring the occupation during the 50's in Europe, and flying fighters, to life and then dash you as those days recede into the past.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
21 years and 3500+ hours as an attack pilot in the AH-64A and AH-64D Longbow Apache. Retired from active duty this year. Hundreds of hours also in fixed wing but lost count.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Pahaska, did you ever meet James Salter? His book, Burning the Days, will bring the occupation during the 50's in Europe, and flying fighters, to life and then dash you as those days recede into the past.
Never met him. I'll look for the book.

Most of my squadron were returning pilots from Kores. My Squadrom Commander was Gus Sonderman who flew combat in WW II, Korea and later Wild Weasel in Nam. He still makes the reunions. Cecil Foster who had some kills in Korea was in my flight.

Later, James Jabarra was assigned to our squadron. No one would sign up willingly to fly the "Dog" due to its reputation of blowing up in mid air. The AF made Jabarra go through the all-weather school in an attempt to lure other pilots to sign up. Personally, I never had a spot of trouble in the Dog except for one loss of oil pressure above the soup. I did a penetration and a flameout pattern at idle at Wichita Falls.

The picture is a pen and ink that I did while we had a weather standdown. The photo is my flight at Waco with my "Mach Buster" decal. Mach 1 was a big thing in 1954. We could go through in a steep dive with tanks or a shallow dive clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	23766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waco.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	23767  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
By the way

Any one who would like to know what it was like to fly the "Dog" should read "Cold War Fighter Pilot" by my friend Hal Wade. Hal was in my flight at Perrin. His description of a night intercept is letter perfect. Amazon lists the book.

I sttod 5-minute alert a lot with the only armed interceptors in south central US. There was a theory that the Russian long-range bombers could sneak in over Mexico. We had 2 Dogs on 5-minute alert. Just think ... 2 Dogs and 48 rockets to stop an incursion.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Zep, I have a healthy respect for unrestrained heights. If there's no waist level rail I'm not goin near the edge.
That said I have a 'climing belt' that I used to tether in to all sorts of craft for shooting. I've hung out of so many helicopters....my business card from back when is a Photocard with me standing on the skid of a 280 Enstrom with camera up to my face.
I've even been tethered to the tail gate of a C130H. Flew a number of hops with TAG166 out of my old home field of Wilmington DE. We did air to air with another C130 for a retirement gift to the big bird who left.
Give me a rope and I will climb anything.... just let me clip in....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #28
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Don't know if Ed Emerick has filled up yet, but here is the link for the VAC rally at Osh Kosh. Hope to see you there.

http://www.wbcciregion7.net/WBCCI_%2...AC_CARAVAN.htm

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote