Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Airstream 345 vs Prevost

I've had my heart set on an Airstream 345 motorhome for full timing. But, in sorta thinking I'd like to get an older Prevost from the 1980-1990 date range. I'm seeing Prevost's from that vintage for about 60k to 100k. Thoughts?
jacobjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
This is almost equivalent to saying "I'd like to own a dog or take up hang gliding".

Their both great, but worlds apart.

I guess to be more fair to you, it's like comparing a nice restored f-100 to a vintage Porsche. They will both get the groceries!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The P O of my 345 moved on to a Prevost of early 90s vintage.
It's a very impressive rig, no doubt.
Some of the comments he has shared, are that the cost of ownership is
MUCH HIGHER, and the weight / height is a factor in back road route planning.

Family health issues have kept them from using it as much as they had hoped,
So I haven't heard the raves about how nice it is to use. Other than it's very nice to drive on the open high ways.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Prevost = commercial chassis in the class 8 truck (think 18 wheeler) category. Airstream 345 = very well built moterhome on a commercial/recreational chassis (think UPS delivery van).

Both very well built, but designed for a different purpose. If you are going to drive a lot, load your rig heavy, and possibly tow heavy; then go prevost. If you only going to drive from long term spot to next long term spot, go 345. The Prevost is safer (passenger rated rollover body, class 8 tires) however you will pay for those premiums. The Prevost will also have a better power plant (Detroit series 60 diesel, depending on the year), better generator (10,000-12,000 watt diesel 240/120 generator) again the price.....

Like others have said, figure what you want to use it for then make your decisions within the constraints of your budget.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
We parked next to a Prevost once in our 1970 safari. He was headed to get new tires. The cost of the new tires was more than our trailer!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Please re-read the posts above concerning cost of ownership of a real bus conversion, and budget accordingly if you buy the Canadian coach or the one that used to be built in Texas and resembles our national bird............. I know several owners, and desperately wanted one for several years. I am now a CDL bus driver and I can tell you those things cost $5k+ easy per year to maintain. That's if nothing major breaks. Also, any sub-2000ish Prevost will have most likely an 8v71 or 8v92 or similar 2-stroke Detroit. They all seep gallons of oil, are loud, and most conversions you look at will say "recent rebuild" because they never get driven often or hard enough in a MH conversion to avoid blowing up due to heat and/or lubrication issues..........

That said, they do make a beautiful, heavy-duty, you'll never really wear it out, you'll just re-decorate it coach........ Sigh, I really did want one................ Thank the Lord my wife is more sensible than me and talked me out of it. The 2000 Dutchstar pusher we had cost $3k a year to maintain and that almost whipped us............

We sure do love our Pete with no drivetrain, no hydraulic jacks, no transfer switch, no built-in generator, no $499 each tires, and an easy tow with a properly-spec'd 1/2 ton................

But you asked!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
strasburg , Virginia
I think you could buy my 86 345 for a bunch less than a Prevost :-)
86 345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
sounds like it's a decision of which way you want to go - you own the motor home and get good use out of having fun or to have a motor home that essentially owns you
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Prevost was on the list of high quality coaches back when we were researching, but at that time (three years ago) there weren't any available for what we could afford. We bought a Foretravel with a Detroit 6v92 in it. I don't find that it is very noisy at all, but then I'm 30+ feet in front of the engine. Bluebird Wanderlodges were also on the list, and are much more available than a Prevost and have similar construction. The difference is that the Wanderlodge was designed and built to be a motor home, while the Prevost is a bus conversion.

Owning a diesel pusher MH is not cheap, true, but you do have some big advantages. I sit up high, looking semi drivers in the eye, yet my coach isn't as tall as their trailers. On hot days I run the generator so we can have one or both rooftop a/c units running. On cold days the furnaces are on. Either way, the coach is the same comfortable temperature on the road as it is in the campground.

A couple of things to consider: the better motor homes use the air bags not only for the suspension while driving but also for leveling. Others use hydraulic jacks, which have been known to punch holes in campsites. The better coaches also have side radiators, which makes engine access much easier. Check out the empty weight, gvwr and the gcvwr. Do you have enough weight capacity to carry all you need/want? Can you tow your vehicle? Case in point: my Foretravel has an empty weight of about 27,500 pounds, a gross weight of 30,000 pounds, and a gross combined weight of 36,000 pounds. That means that I can carry about 2500 pounds of people, pets, and stuff inside the coach and still tow up to 6000 pounds. The next model down has a gross weight of 28000 pounds (don't know the empty weight) and a gross combined weight of 30,000 pounds, meaning it can only tow 2000 pounds if the coach is at gross weight.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
A pre 1987 Prevost would not have a 60 series as original engine. If you go with a bus conversion I would strongly recommend a conversion done by a conversion company ie. Marathon, Featherlite, etc. A home built conversion should be inspected very carefully. My 1993 Newell has an 8V-92. It is a later engine with electronic controls. It runs great, produces almost no smoke even at start-up and does not leak a significant amount of oil. You could buy a very nice Newell in the price range. They a bit rare but offer the advantages of an aluminum body with the safety of bus-type construction and use common heavy truck type mechanical components.
Another consideration is that you will not be able to fit into some places with a bus but will probably appreciate the extra interior room, especially if you are fulltiming.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Having owned 3 pushers and worked on hundreds more, I rank Newell at the top of the pack. Purpose built as a motorhome with top quality components and construction.

Prevosts, especially the custom conversions from companies like Marathon, Millenium, Liberty, Vantare, etc. are grossly over complicated and are a real nightmare to work on. They are a bus........not a motorhome.

I also was quite surprised at the quality build of the Foretravels. I had a 1998 36' U-270, which was the base model, but it still rode and drove like a dream. It was thoughtfully constructed with features like easy access components, hinged dash and multiple extra wires in places where you might want to add components.

If I was in the market for another, it would be either an older Newell or Foretravel.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Did airstreams for years and went motorhome due to health reasons and am now in a 40 foot diesel pusher! (fleetwood revolution) It was a huge leap and I never looked back. Get used to spending a couple grand after every big trip to fix all the things that break on the road! Last trip one of our slide covers was destroyed from a very windy I-40. I wanted a prevost but the BOSS wanted slide outs and a 1/2 bath. I wanted no less than 400 HP. we both got what we wanted! Fueling up the beast can be a challenge when it takes 150 gals and the card stops at 75.00! No regrets!
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Pervost bus conversions started having the Detroit Diesel Series 60 during 1995. I believe that all 1996 Prevosts had the DD Series 60 engines.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I considered moving to a Bluebird coach when I sold my Airstream 280. The cost of ownership was a big issue for me, and that changed my mind.
I even visited the Bluebird Plant to learn more about them. Not as high end as a Prevost but still a great one.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The wanderlodge is an amazing beast! I'm looking at a 1988. It's flawless but a little dated.
This thing is hardcore heavy duty!
The storage is tremendous!
I like the fact I could burn frenchfry oil and make life almost free!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
They are awesome machines. I was a little out of my league on one. 30,000 pounds.
Big diesel motor, lots of maintenance, but very reliable rigs.The factory was impressive, and quite a few older ones camping out there while waiting for service
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I just got back from a couple of day cruising in company with the P O of my 345.
He showed up here in Az on a swing west from Fla. In his late 90s Prevost.

Wow there could not be a much different machine from the 345. First it is very big and heavy, and very complex, and in a completely different league cost wise. 5+ times the cost going in. And most repairs seem to come in at about three times similar job on the 345.

It is a very nicely built, very comfortable while parked luxurious even. He said its nice to drive on the Highways. He is very careful about any roads smaller than an interstate or major state roads.

The Prevost is a very impressive vehicle if you are up for the costs and limits to where you want to take it.

Cheers Richard
Old 05-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Before we bought our Foretravel I thought we'd probably end up with a 'Bird. The nagging thought was that most of the people on WOG spent a fair amount of time fixing things after every trip. That made me a bit nervous.

They are heavy, though, and use hydraulic jacks for leveling. One 'Bird owner mentioned to me that he has made some "big impressions" with his coach in church parking lots. It seems that he frequently goes to various churches for periods of time and parks on their lots. Those lots aren't meant for 50,000 pounds to be there for long periods of time, and he said that he has done a fair amount of damage.

How much does an Airstream 345 weigh?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The 345 is said to weigh around 16,000 lbs.

For me the the number of complicated systems on the newer more luxurious coach seem way beyond my comfort level to be dealing with myself.
The relative simplicity of the older more basic coach is a comfortable fit for me, technically and financially.

Cheers Richard