Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have towed campers for 40+ years, except for one year while in the service and not available to tow and one year we had a 37' motorhome.

Your experiences with the two vehicle and overall performance do not surprise me one bit.

We tow a 2015 30' Flying Cloud with a GVW of 8,800 pounds and supposedly at hitch weight of 880 pounds. When in actuality the hitch weight is closer to 1,000 pounds. We tow with an F350 6.7 Diesel. An F250 Diesel of one of the other brands in a 3/4 ton Diesel is what I would recommend on any trailer over 25'. Not attempting to start a discussion on tow vehicles etc, it's just what we do and if someone asks is what we recommend. Longer wheelbase, heavier vehicle and lots of power with an engine brake built in. Hitch set up even on our size truck is key, so if you buy read all you can on hitches and set up and then have the selling dealer do it properly and you'll have years of fun.

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Two hours orientation is not enough for someone with little experience. I am surprised that there has not been more issues, complaints and accidents reported.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are three equally important elements. Truck, hitch, trailer. If any one of the three is lousy, the whole towing experience will be lousy.

Try to overcome one lousy element by overdoing another lousy element only masks the problem instead of fixing it. Get all three right and know how pleasant and safe it is to drive a perfectly balanced towing combo.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #32
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Foley Alabama, drove by what I learned to be Airstream Archeology. The owner passed away in November, but, the silver beauties still grace the side of US98.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

I can toe an Airstream real good.....anyone know where I can rent a Cessna?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Was there any instructions on the tow vehicle. Tow haul mode.? Did you drive the Tahoe without the trailer hooked up before. Did anyone test drive the setup before giving it to you? Did they test the braking for you?. We're the tires properly inflated? On the tow vehicle and trailer?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
We did the same thing with Airstream 2 Go except we rented the 23 footer. We had the same tow vehicle and even though it was the 23 footer and not the 28, we had a similar experience from a towing perspective. I did not like it. We ended up driving all the way out to Arches based on bad weather in Zion and I was pretty stressed when we got back.
We did go ahead and buy an Airstream - Eddie Bauer 25 - and tow it with our 2011 F150 ecoboost super crew with the longer bed. We also purchased the Propride hitch. The difference between the two set ups is remarkable. It is very stable and predictable and handles well. That is not to say it is relaxing as there is still a lot to pay attention to, but the rig is very solid and strong.
Our real test begins in early March - From Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore to Great Smokey Mountains to Natchez Trace National Parkway to Guadeloupe Mountains National park to Seguaro National Park to Grand Canyon to Arches to Rocky Mountain and then back to work.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Was there any instructions on the tow vehicle. Tow haul mode.? Did you drive the Tahoe without the trailer hooked up before. Did anyone test drive the setup before giving it to you? Did they test the braking for you?. We're the tires properly inflated? On the tow vehicle and trailer?
Yes, we were shown how the tow mode worked. Did not drive the vehicle without the trailer attached during the orientation.

Airstream 2 Go has their own fleet of tow vehicle and Airstreams. I'm not sure what they do in between renters, but they have probably driven the tow vehicles with and without trailers.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna EB View Post
We did the same thing with Airstream 2 Go except we rented the 23 footer. We had the same tow vehicle and even though it was the 23 footer and not the 28, we had a similar experience from a towing perspective. I did not like it. We ended up driving all the way out to Arches based on bad weather in Zion and I was pretty stressed when we got back.
We did go ahead and buy an Airstream - Eddie Bauer 25 - and tow it with our 2011 F150 ecoboost super crew with the longer bed. We also purchased the Propride hitch. The difference between the two set ups is remarkable. It is very stable and predictable and handles well. That is not to say it is relaxing as there is still a lot to pay attention to, but the rig is very solid and strong.
Our real test begins in early March - From Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore to Great Smokey Mountains to Natchez Trace National Parkway to Guadeloupe Mountains National park to Seguaro National Park to Grand Canyon to Arches to Rocky Mountain and then back to work.
Thanks for your feedback. We wondered if the combination was better designed for the 23' trailer. Doesn't sound like it.

The fact that you have driven both the A2G and another combination is very helpful. It means that we aren't "crazy" in thinking this was not a good pairing by A2G.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Woodlands , Texas
FYI, I mailed a letter to Dicky Riegel, CEO and President of A2G, on Monday expressing my concerns about the Tahoe as a tow vehicle for the A2G Airstreams. I also mentioned in my letter that I had posted my concerns and asked for feedback on this forum. It will be interesting to see if he or someone from A2G responds.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Woodlands , Texas
I had a long conversation with Dicky Reigel, CEO of Airstream2Go, today in response to my letter.

He was very gracious and will be sharing my comments with his team. I don't know if anything will change, but I really appreciated him taking the time to discuss my experience.

I think Airstream 2 Go is a great concept. I loved the Airstream and all the items that they stocked in it for a great experience. I literally only had to supply groceries and my clothing.

I am still considering buying an Airstream, but it may have to wait another year or so until we have more time to travel.

I love reading the forums and am getting a great education on AS, tow vehicles and hitches.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
I'm no expert, but when you say, "it may have to wait another year or so until we have more time to travel", I suggest keeping on the lookout for appropriate used Airstream trailers that are on the market, because if you see one that you'd like, I believe it is important to buy it. Good used Airstreams are in hot demand.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
You're asking GOOD questions. A PROPPER tow vehicle is critical and, it's far easier to get the "wrong" vehicle than you would think. Check out the RVSEF website http://rvsafety.com/ . There are "schools" you can attend to learn the skills you need to be the safest RV / tow vehicle driver possible. Some instructors will come to you (teaching you on your rig), others will have you come to them (or meet at an RV rally). If you have not yet attended an RV Boot Camp, DO SO! The Escapees RV Club run a wonderful Boot Camp. Other groups also offer Boot Camps. You can attend a Boot Camp BEFORE you spend the big bucks on your rig (in fact, getting the education first will help you in your buying decisions). I know quite a few RVers that have chosen to go with MDTs & HDTs (Class 7 Medium Duty & Class 8 Heavy Duty trucks) for use as a tow vehicle. I've never spoken with anyone who's gone that route and regretted it. I realize that those trucks are not for everyone though. A good source of information regarding MDTs & HDTs can be found on the Escapees Forums. Gregg Shields of RVHaulers.ca also has many good videos on his YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lers.ca&page=1
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
I periodically provide this like to the annual Trailer Life Tow Vehicle Guides:
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/. They contain all of the important statistics for assessing whether a certain truck or SUV has sufficient towing capacity for whatever you want to tow.