Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream < 1500lb exist?

Is there an airstream model that weighs less than 1500lb, iincluding the tow hitch weight?
I just bought a Honda Element which has a tow capacity of 1500lb. Its not much, but I know. I have always wanted a camper, and I just love the way the airstreams look. IS there a vintage model that was really small? (under 12 ft?)

Thanks in advance.
elementkatonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I'm afraid ...

that you are limited to something like the 13' Scamp or Casita and even those minimal trailers would tax the towing ability of the Honda Element.

I think that the smallest vintage Airstream is 15'.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Tent camping can be very enjoyable. There are some folks who wouldn't trade their tent for a trailer!

Check out this Honda tailgate cabana...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elementtailgatecabana.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	4434  
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Keep in mind that "tow ratings" have to be reduced by the weight of the passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle. That 1500 lbs is really more like 1000-1200 with anything in the vehicle. The Element isn't really designed for trailer towing, but they've equipped it to tow ONE ATV, jet-ski, or a very small fishing boat, while carrying passengers and cargo in the vehicle.

Although we have a 34' triple-axle Airstream, we have to leave it home and tent camp when we tow the boat up to the lake. We use a 4-person Eureka Timberline tent and a cushy, queen-sized Coleman air bed with battery-powered inflator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ourfirstrig.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	4424  
Old 01-13-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about a teardrop. They are small and light enough and aluminum skinned.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

"I think that the smallest vintage Airstream is 15'."

That would have been the Cruisette from the early 50's, wouldn't it? No bathroom, no refrigerator, it might just have squeezed in at under 1500 lbs.

Of course, it would probably be easier to build one new from scratch than try and find a used one today.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I think the lightest Airstreams in the past few decades were the 1957 Bubble at 1750 lbs and early 60's Bambis at about 1875 lbs. I recently blew away a RV salesman by giving him a tour of my Caravel and informing him it weighed only 2,400 lbs empty. Today, any SOB trailer that size and with similar equipment would be called "lightweight" at 4,000 lbs.

Sadly, to get into RV'ing today (with anything other than a popup), you need at least 3,500 lbs tow rating, and 5,000 lbs is better.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

we have both a 1957 bubble and a homemade teardrop , the bubble weighs in at 1850 lbs and the teardrop at about 650 lbs. the teardrop definately isn't an airstream but garners attention wherever we take it. there are as many excellent sites for teardrops as there are for airstreams. our tow vehicles are modified, not an option for your tow vehicle, to handle the heavier t/w of the airstream.
i think unfortunately the answer to your question is, none made.
roger n cindy
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not in this lifetime! If an RV is what you want and you're sold on an Airstream, you'll need a lot more meat than what the element has....sorry....

Now if you just want an RV, possibly a pop up...maybe or some of what's been suggested already.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
the only airstreams under 1500 are from
Motorcity Classics Franklin Mind or Hot Wheels
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:19 AM   #11
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Not an AS but maybe under 1500

Hart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zelda.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	4429  
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Considerations

elementkatonk

Actually there is one..
Check this out:Thor's newest model Airstream

This should get you into an Airstream..~!

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Cute unit, but no Airstream. Sure it's still made by the same parent company, but it still is not an Airstream right?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The T@B is Thor Dutchman, not Airstream, right?

I considered mentioning it to him, but it's 1250 lbs with no options, dry. Would be okay if anyone traveling with you took another vehicle, and brought the food, clothes, etc.

74Argosy24MH's teardrop URL is the only practical hardside I've seen suggested, and even then he'd have to be careful to trade-off weight in the Element for weight in the trailer.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Not a full body full hight made that lite. I agrees but the T@B is about as light as they come. Most pop ups weigh more then the tow rating of the Honda. I think the lightest decent pop up is around 2k if it has a galley.

There use to be some super light campers out that were nothing more then a tent on a trailer. No galley or head but they are the weight your looking for and they are far better then tent camping. My family had one that my folks picked up from Montgomery Wards. It slept 4 (6 if two wanted to take their chances at the floor) and we put 50k on it dragging it around behind a VW wagon and Vanagon in the 70's. Finding one would be the trick. I haven't seen one since mom sold ours.

have been eyeing teardrops for a while. I do some camping alone and after waking up wet on a flat air mattress to many times I built a redneck special camper/Cargo trailer. It does the job...it keeps me dry but to make it more usefull as a camper it would loose it's usefullness as a cargo.

I ran accross those Teardrop site a few months back and I really want to build one one day. They are perfect for me for some of the camping I do. Even good if just my wife and I want to leave the kids with Grandma and take off for a few day's. Has a Galley and a REAL bed. I can make do without the head and A/C. You could however put a small $80 window A/C into a teardrop. It's small enough to tuck behind most smaller vehicles so should not be a problem towing.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:53 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

thanks all

Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful tips. I've seen the t@b and it looks kinda neat, but I really like the rounded sides of the airstream. Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer? I've seen websites selling plans on how to build your own teardrop, but not one on an airstream-like mini trailer.

I guess it doesn't have to be an "airstream" trailer, just have a similar design (i.e. the rounded edge). The tear drops are nice, and the color to the t@b seems to match the uniqueness of the element, but I really want rounded sides. Are there any other companies, vintage and/or current that made/makes airstream-looking small trailers?

Thanks again in advance!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: thanks all

Quote:
Originally posted by elementkatonk
Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful tips. I've seen the t@b and it looks kinda neat, but I really like the rounded sides of the airstream. Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer? I've seen websites selling plans on how to build your own teardrop, but not one on an airstream-like mini trailer.

I guess it doesn't have to be an "airstream" trailer, just have a similar design (i.e. the rounded edge). The tear drops are nice, and the color to the t@b seems to match the uniqueness of the element, but I really want rounded sides. Are there any other companies, vintage and/or current that made/makes airstream-looking small trailers?

Thanks again in advance!
There is a proto type out that was at some of the RV shows. Somebody here was nice enough to post pictures. It is a Airstream, it is for the most part aluminum skinned but it's a boxy shape. It is built with composite materials and is supose to be very light. It's a prototype so no idea If little lone when it would become available.

You know a LOT of folks are restoring coaches. A gutted coach looses a lot of weight. THe 59 My wife and I are restoring stock was 2700lb dry. It'sa 22ft. The interriror is in my garage right now and I bet that the shell and floor are around 1700lb with out interrior. If you found a older (the older the lighter for a Airstream) Caravelle (18ft) or Bambi with a shot interrior and were carfull about how you redid the interriror I bet you could end up with a usable coach around 1800lb. Because a Airstream is more Airodynamic and it has been proven it takes a LOT less to pull them down the road you might get away with it being a little over weight.

If you did that you would have to do away with some creature conforts like RV fridge, Heater, stove, A/C and go with portable stuff like a cooler, camp stove, you could pack in the tow rig. If carefull you could keep head, water system, bed, Goucho. Just tow with empty water tank and waste tanks.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Re: thanks all

Quote:
Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer?
Check out a couple of Bambi's and think about how big they would be at a little more than half size. 9 ft. is only the end caps and a couple of feet. The curved sides mean less volume than square corners and flat walls, windows and doors will really cut into valuable wall space. If you want to preserve the look you will need to scale all dimensions, including height and there isn't a lot of headroom fullsized if you are tall. Lay out 9 ft. by your width on a floor (make sure you radius the corners), take space out for a bed and see what else you can work in.

This is a link to a 14' Burro. It looks somewhat like an AS but is fiberglass (and too heavy). It will give you an idea what you can get in 14 ft.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Ah, I guess 9 ft is too small, maybe a 12'? The burro has a nice curvy shape that I'm looking for, now if only they made it in aluminum!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #20
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Look for an older 13' Scamp

Same general shape as the Airstream and about as light as they come. Cabinetry is fiberglass with wood doors. Older models are somewhat lighter than the current models which are 1000# without options.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags