Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Hmmm...sell the Honda? I'm not a hard core camper, just very nostalgic. I do like camping, and would like doing more of it since I got my element. Selling the honda to tow an AS, even just a bambi is impractical and not what I bought my car for the first place. I really do like my element, and I appreciated the posts about the wee wind and the bubble, which I'll fix my sites on. I'm glad people didn't just tell me to sel the honda in the beginning of this post, but took the time to give me really good info.

Since I'll probably be looking out for the upcomming base camp by AS, or possibly the t@b which I do believe the element can tow, I could factor towing in what ever vehicle I buy next, within the time it takes me to save up and find the bubble or wee wind (I guess I'll have alot of time). I grew up very frugally, and even tho the element gets only 24 mpg, I still dont' think I could go for an everyday use car that would get less than 20mpg. I really want a small to ultra small trailer, and I'm not really big into the big ones or even the medium ones. I never bought into the mantra, bigger is better. I like small, and compact - forces you to optimize and plan your space; like poetry on wheels.

But for a tow vehicle, I'm hoping I might be able to purchase a 50's t-bird that an "aunt" as stored in her garage for as along as I can remember. I'm not sure if she still even has it, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to buy it and restore it. How's that for a tow vehicle? Gas milage is not my ideal, but it would be only driven on *special* days.

Does anyone know of any shop that does repros of the wee wind or the bubble? I wonder if AS might consider doing a re-release of these classics, kinda like how ford put out a new t-bird.

Thanks again for all the great posts!
elementkatonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by elementkatonk
Hmmm...sell the Honda? I'm not a hard core camper, just very nostalgic. I do like camping, and would like doing more of it since I got my element. Selling the honda to tow an AS, even just a bambi is impractical and not what I bought my car for the first place. I really do like my element, and I appreciated the posts about the wee wind and the bubble, which I'll fix my sites on. I'm glad people didn't just tell me to sel the honda in the beginning of this post, but took the time to give me really good info.

Since I'll probably be looking out for the upcomming base camp by AS, or possibly the t@b which I do believe the element can tow, I could factor towing in what ever vehicle I buy next, within the time it takes me to save up and find the bubble or wee wind (I guess I'll have alot of time). I grew up very frugally, and even tho the element gets only 24 mpg, I still dont' think I could go for an everyday use car that would get less than 20mpg. I really want a small to ultra small trailer, and I'm not really big into the big ones or even the medium ones. I never bought into the mantra, bigger is better. I like small, and compact - forces you to optimize and plan your space; like poetry on wheels.

But for a tow vehicle, I'm hoping I might be able to purchase a 50's t-bird that an "aunt" as stored in her garage for as along as I can remember. I'm not sure if she still even has it, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to buy it and restore it. How's that for a tow vehicle? Gas milage is not my ideal, but it would be only driven on *special* days.

Does anyone know of any shop that does repros of the wee wind or the bubble? I wonder if AS might consider doing a re-release of these classics, kinda like how ford put out a new t-bird.

Thanks again for all the great posts!
Buy a bomb and use it for camping. I like big vehicles...I'm a big guy but your right the 10mpg my tow rig gets stinks for a DD. I'm looking for a Equaly big bomb that gets 20mpg. Just found it in the form of a wrecked 87 Deisel suburban. It will get 20 and I'm not going to feel like a circus clown getting out of it like I do with my wifes Accord. Becised the $500 it will cost ot put it back on the road (although looking like a patchwork quilt) isn't bad. LOL.

You can pick up a older burb these days for cheap.

There is one other alterantive...............MOTOR HOME and the Element can become a Toad. I'm sure we could find somebody to give you a tour.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ohhh Yeah....
What are you willing to pay for a Wee Wind sized coach?

I m looking at buying a rough coach to get some parts off of. I don't need the coach body when I'm done so I left with having to resell it, part it or I might transform it into something else as long as I can get out more then I got in it (I hate waste but it's looking like the only way I will get the correct year parts I need to restore our 59.

I could build you a Wee Wind for about $4-5k out of what I am looking at buying. Have to do the math but I think that's a reasonable estimate unless Steel and wood prices get any worse.

No bath just a simple Galley with manual pump water system and 10 gallon tank. Place for a portable campstove plumbed into a single 20lb LP tank on the tounge and a over head like the WW. MAYBE a good Lp gas light if the doaner coach has it. A wardrobe for clothes, Goucho/bed and a small 2 person dinette. I would reuse the existing interrior parts where ever possible so it will still have that classic Airstream look and feel. Authentic antique skin. Simple Electrical system that can run off battery or 110v.

I think I could get it under 1500lb without much trouble at all. Problem is it will be late summer before I would have the time.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

59toaster, any pics of your past work or your current AS? From what model AS would you be building the wee wind look alike from? If it is a 1959 Caravanner, would it be possible to keep the corner shower? How close do you think you could get the out side to look like a wee wind?? I am sometime sent to georgia for training, so maybe I could drop by if I'm sent this year. Sounds like an interesting proposal.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well I just got the picture of the coach I had some interest in because it should have many parts I need for our coach. Normaly I'm really against parting out a coch but I'm at a end. The only place I'm seeing the parts I need are in coaches that need restoration. There is simply nobody parting them.

I'm not sure what I found is going to work as well as what I had hoped to build a "wee wind" out of. Actually it would be closer to a 50's Cruiesette The Owner didn't know the length and so I was thinking he had a different coach then he does. The length he listed lead me to beileve he had a FC , Safari or possibly a trade wind. I was hoping for a tradewind. It is also in a little better condition then I was expecting and not sure I could part it out. It's not much worse then what we started with and are restoring.

It is infact a 61 Overlander 26ft. It has most of the parts including the windows I need BUT it has a tandem axle. The Tandem axle is going to be a big monkey wrench in shortening it.

If it had a single axle I could simply take the caps free. Cut of a couple ribs off and few feet of frame. Then put the caps back on. It would be a nice clean easy to do job that a Flying Cloud in particular would lend itself to. The aluminum left over could be sold as patches to others doing restoration. The coach had minimal side windows and the placement was excelent for my idea and would not require I have to move them.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/61FC/61FC.html
Trade Wind would of also been easy to do as well but have to remount the door. It would end up about 17ft long with either of those. Stripped down interrior and rebuid the frame and it would be right at 1500lb. On both I could retain the gouch or dinette in the front. Both I could salvage the wardrobe and main galley cabinetry to retain the vintage look with real vintage parts.

Well the Overlander with double axle means I am going to have a REALLY big issue with were to cut it. One axle has to go and since the wheel openings cut up into the main coach skin to make it look right I would have to make a new wheel well. I would have to cut it before or after the existing wheel well. Window, acess door placement, is not leaving me with a place to cut in a wheel well.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...Tradewind.html

The goal I would have if I did this would be to end up with a Coach that looked like it did come from Airstream. If it came from Airstream there would be NO vertical seams between the caps. If I cut it ceter of the wheel opening I would end up with a seam that NEVER would have been on a product from the factory. I would want folks to look at it and go "What the hell is it...never saw one and till you told them think it was factory.

This is what I want to end up with. This shows a Gouch in front. 2 persons dinnet could also be done.

Thats a 51 Cuset with Goucho.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...Cruisette.html
Here is a 52 Cruisette with a dinnette.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...Cruisette.html
The cabinetry would be wood not aluminum as those have. Look at the 61 stuff.

A big part of pulling that off is retaining the factory pannels so the patina matches up. The Aluminum used is insanely expensive. and is available BUT it still wouldn't look 100% original. Also the pre 64 coaches NEVER had clear coat. They are the ones that really polish up with a lot less effort then the 64 up. They used T2024 T3 Alcad. Thats a true aircraft grade material.

Let me do a little more looking around for a good coach to start with. This coach I have some concern about getting it home. It's a little rough in the floor. Body is good where it counts. But more wheels then I can come up with to get it home.

As for what I have done to Airstreams.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=6554
That has some pictures of what I'm doing. A few of us have that post going on sharing info. The hard part of what it would tak to make a small coach out of a big one I have done or have a pretty clear idea on how to do it. I already have the body back on the frame. Pulling new wiring. I need to update that post and start a new one on the electrical side.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I can't wait to see you do that, toaster. Sounds like a cool idea.

Element, here's a great site that sells teardrop plans. I have the plans for the Cubby, which is built on an 8X4 trailer from Harbor Freight. It's a pretty cool little trailer, lightweight, and looks like a fun project to build. I bought the plans before I got my trailer, but I'd still like to build one, just because it looks like fun!

Kuffel Creek Teardrops

If you're interested in trying to lighten up a bambi/caravel, this guy in WA has one on his website that is a little rough already. If you're going to tear one up, it might as well not be a nice one.

Vintage Trailers Plus

I feel for you, I bought my Bronco thinking it could pull a trailer, only to discover it's modifications and short wheelbase (as well as awful gas milage) all conspired against it being a good tow vehicle, and I had to get a full size van to make our dream come true. But after a summer of 'streamin', it was all worth it!

Good luck in your search!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
THIS is what you want!

Here it is - Airstream's newest "pop-up" (I hope the link works).

It's a design study, again with Nissan. I'm sure Airstream must be getting ready to come out with some small "active lifestyle" stuff based on the two different prototypes seen at the Detroit show, and the RV shows. I wish I could cut the picture from the link (scroll down to the bottom and click the bottom left picture).
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:02 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Here ya' go

Nissan Arctic & mini pop up.

"The concept was shown with a small trailer pod with expandable walls developed by NDA in conjunction with Airstream. NH"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nissanstream.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	4461  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

I hope AS considers doing something like the nissan post for the honda element. The E is a more recreational vehicle targeted for a more outdoorsy group than the $30K nissan murano!

I'm looking for weight info and other specs of the cruisette. Can't seem to find it.

Also, the airstream.net bambi/caraval, i think someone in another post said it was a lemon, at least they were talking about a 1965 caraval they had checked off from the same internet dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Tags