http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...48WeeWind.html

Aaron

Old 01-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #30
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Lightbulb Ideas...

Quote:
Originally posted by elementkatonk
The fiberglass trailers just don't have the same appeal; I really think they look ugly against the airstream aluminum. I'd most definately take a base camp over a fiberglass anyday of the week, and on weekends too. There's just something about the glistening of alum on a trailer.....
Ya know... for an Element owner, you're being pretty predictable. You're just not thinking outside the BOX!!!

There is some miracle stuff out there called PAINT!!! You can do just about anything with it nowadays. I've considered a dozen different ways to paint my 13' fiberglass UHaul camper, but the options are so many that I just can't make up my mind! Immediately I thought that Airstream Aluminum would make it look like a tiny Airstream. I figured that if there are those of us who paint our Argosys and Airstreams to look like aluminum, why not paint the fiberglass? Then all I needed to do was add Airstream 'Labels' and see how many questions and comments I got. Then I thought about painting it Farrari red with wide white racing stripes. Now THAT'd catch some eyes. Or I could do a 'cracked egg' vinyl job, complete with yolk running out. It'd look cute as an "8 ball" or a volleyball, or any one of hundreds of other things. All it takes is a little imagination and finding someone with the talent to carry it out as planned!

I may leave it stock for now... but one of these days...!!!

Roger

Old 01-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

lol

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking out side the box....

But seriously, the more I think about it, I guess something like the base camp would be nice. I'm the type that I know the fact that my trailer wasn't really alum or and airstream would get to me, eat at me during those camping nites. I could have fun with the base camp and not worry about damaging a "collectible". When I got alittle older, and hopefully wiser (i.e. slower, more careful, less need to push my car, more introspective), then I could look for some rare, really beat up bubble, wee wind, or Cruisette to restore. Hopefully the person I'm buying it from just wants to get rid of "that old piece of junk in the backyard"! It would be a good "investment" (i.e. something for me to spend insane amts of $ on, never sell in my life, and have my future kids to sell on a whim when I died and then regret in their old age ).

I used to collect ww2 uniforms in college and little bit after, but now I have to spend and save my money on more "practical" stuff like my car, a house, future plans, etc. I'll keep my eyes open for the release of the base camp, and maybe start a little slush fund for a real vintage airstream.

I guess I'm relegated to oogling over airstreams I see on the roads, and at camp grounds. *sigh*
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #32
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:

Rog-thanks for the the base camp suggestion. Yea, it does look kinda "ugly", but so did my honda element, at first. I think I'll look into this;
If ugly is to be used as a standard for judging people or RV's, my wife would have left me years ago. Oops, hold on a minute, she did. Must have been that ugly Avion I bought.

Rog
Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Just because a Wee wind is ultra rare doesn't mean you can't have something like it.
The one great thing about Airstreams is they are all basicly the same. Find a old beater, Take out a few feet here...few feet there and tada! you have a 12ft coach.

How much is it worth to ya?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Umm....hello....... another suggestion.... GET RID OF THE ELEMENT! This is the obvious choice - give it to your wife, will it to your kids, push it off a cliff, sell it...... you can always get a different tow vehicle - but an airstream is forever!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
Umm....hello....... another suggestion.... GET RID OF THE ELEMENT! This is the obvious choice - give it to your wife, will it to your kids, push it off a cliff, sell it...... you can always get a different tow vehicle - but an airstream is forever!
Have you seen the inside of a Element? They are cool! Becideds doing something with so much common sense doesn't make any sense. hehehehe.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up You're 100% correct~

RoadKingMoe
Quote:
The T@B is Thor Dutchman, not Airstream, right?
No, you're 100% correct in what you say~!! It is not an Airstream, in that... it doesn't have the A/S logo name. But, like you, I wanted to at least give em a choice..
The unit is, surprising, well made..A step up from a "teardrop" and, IMHO..A lot better than a popup..
Of course, then there the other little cutie made by Airstream, as noted by others..Now that one I haven't seen in person but..I do like it~!
It's refreshing to see people thinking "outside the box" on here..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'm really impressed with the T@B, but even that's too heavy for the Element.

Janet has the right idea. Either trade the Element now, or wait to RV until you replace it.

Those who've tried to fudge the towing capability of a too small tow vehicle by buying a trailer slightly too large for the tow vehicle but significantly too small for their practical use take the biggest hit when they realize they have to replace both, and the depreciation of the trailer was much greater than that of the tow vehicle. Many, due to finances, wind up having to keep the inadequate tow vehicle and sell the inadequate trailer either because the trailer isn't enjoyable, or the rig wound up unsafe on the road.

Those who bite the bullet and take the depreciation of trading the inadequate tow vehicle soon forget the pain because of the enjoyment of having the right tow vehicle and trailer.

You already made one mistake. Don't compound it with another.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I was kind of being nice, but now that the flood gates have opened.......if you want an Airstream, the Honda (as cool as it is--and I do like the Honda brand and respect it very much)...it will have to be either pawned off or it will have to go.

It just doesn't have what it takes IMHO.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:09 AM   #39
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
b b but Eric

I can still tow my AS with a bicycle just like in the commercial, right?

Rog
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #40
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
shaped like a backpack for a reason, i believe is the ad line honda uses.

must be because that is all it can carry!

moe is correct, bite the bullet and get a bigger tow vehicle if ya wanna go airstreaming.

in addition, a larger tow vehicle within reason will just plain last longer.

john
Old 01-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Hmmm...sell the Honda? I'm not a hard core camper, just very nostalgic. I do like camping, and would like doing more of it since I got my element. Selling the honda to tow an AS, even just a bambi is impractical and not what I bought my car for the first place. I really do like my element, and I appreciated the posts about the wee wind and the bubble, which I'll fix my sites on. I'm glad people didn't just tell me to sel the honda in the beginning of this post, but took the time to give me really good info.

Since I'll probably be looking out for the upcomming base camp by AS, or possibly the t@b which I do believe the element can tow, I could factor towing in what ever vehicle I buy next, within the time it takes me to save up and find the bubble or wee wind (I guess I'll have alot of time). I grew up very frugally, and even tho the element gets only 24 mpg, I still dont' think I could go for an everyday use car that would get less than 20mpg. I really want a small to ultra small trailer, and I'm not really big into the big ones or even the medium ones. I never bought into the mantra, bigger is better. I like small, and compact - forces you to optimize and plan your space; like poetry on wheels.

But for a tow vehicle, I'm hoping I might be able to purchase a 50's t-bird that an "aunt" as stored in her garage for as along as I can remember. I'm not sure if she still even has it, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to buy it and restore it. How's that for a tow vehicle? Gas milage is not my ideal, but it would be only driven on *special* days.

Does anyone know of any shop that does repros of the wee wind or the bubble? I wonder if AS might consider doing a re-release of these classics, kinda like how ford put out a new t-bird.

Thanks again for all the great posts!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Hmmm...sell the Honda? I'm not a hard core camper, just very nostalgic. I do like camping, and would like doing more of it since I got my element. Selling the honda to tow an AS, even just a bambi is impractical and not what I bought my car for the first place. I really do like my element, and I appreciated the posts about the wee wind and the bubble, which I'll fix my sites on. I'm glad people didn't just tell me to sel the honda in the beginning of this post, but took the time to give me really good info.

Since I'll probably be looking out for the upcomming base camp by AS, or possibly the t@b which I do believe the element can tow, I could factor towing in what ever vehicle I buy next, within the time it takes me to save up and find the bubble or wee wind (I guess I'll have alot of time). I grew up very frugally, and even tho the element gets only 24 mpg, I still dont' think I could go for an everyday use car that would get less than 20mpg. I really want a small to ultra small trailer, and I'm not really big into the big ones or even the medium ones. I never bought into the mantra, bigger is better. I like small, and compact - forces you to optimize and plan your space; like poetry on wheels.

But for a tow vehicle, I'm hoping I might be able to purchase a 50's t-bird that an "aunt" as stored in her garage for as along as I can remember. I'm not sure if she still even has it, but ever since I was a kid, I wanted to buy it and restore it. How's that for a tow vehicle? Gas milage is not my ideal, but it would be only driven on *special* days.

Does anyone know of any shop that does repros of the wee wind or the bubble? I wonder if AS might consider doing a re-release of these classics, kinda like how ford put out a new t-bird.

Thanks again for all the great posts!
Buy a bomb and use it for camping. I like big vehicles...I'm a big guy but your right the 10mpg my tow rig gets stinks for a DD. I'm looking for a Equaly big bomb that gets 20mpg. Just found it in the form of a wrecked 87 Deisel suburban. It will get 20 and I'm not going to feel like a circus clown getting out of it like I do with my wifes Accord. Becised the $500 it will cost ot put it back on the road (although looking like a patchwork quilt) isn't bad. LOL.

You can pick up a older burb these days for cheap.

There is one other alterantive...............MOTOR HOME and the Element can become a Toad. I'm sure we could find somebody to give you a tour.

Tags