Old 01-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Not a full body full hight made that lite. I agrees but the T@B is about as light as they come. Most pop ups weigh more then the tow rating of the Honda. I think the lightest decent pop up is around 2k if it has a galley.

There use to be some super light campers out that were nothing more then a tent on a trailer. No galley or head but they are the weight your looking for and they are far better then tent camping. My family had one that my folks picked up from Montgomery Wards. It slept 4 (6 if two wanted to take their chances at the floor) and we put 50k on it dragging it around behind a VW wagon and Vanagon in the 70's. Finding one would be the trick. I haven't seen one since mom sold ours.

have been eyeing teardrops for a while. I do some camping alone and after waking up wet on a flat air mattress to many times I built a redneck special camper/Cargo trailer. It does the job...it keeps me dry but to make it more usefull as a camper it would loose it's usefullness as a cargo.

I ran accross those Teardrop site a few months back and I really want to build one one day. They are perfect for me for some of the camping I do. Even good if just my wife and I want to leave the kids with Grandma and take off for a few day's. Has a Galley and a REAL bed. I can make do without the head and A/C. You could however put a small $80 window A/C into a teardrop. It's small enough to tuck behind most smaller vehicles so should not be a problem towing.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:53 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

thanks all

Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful tips. I've seen the t@b and it looks kinda neat, but I really like the rounded sides of the airstream. Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer? I've seen websites selling plans on how to build your own teardrop, but not one on an airstream-like mini trailer.

I guess it doesn't have to be an "airstream" trailer, just have a similar design (i.e. the rounded edge). The tear drops are nice, and the color to the t@b seems to match the uniqueness of the element, but I really want rounded sides. Are there any other companies, vintage and/or current that made/makes airstream-looking small trailers?

Thanks again in advance!

Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: thanks all

Quote:
Originally posted by elementkatonk
Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful tips. I've seen the t@b and it looks kinda neat, but I really like the rounded sides of the airstream. Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer? I've seen websites selling plans on how to build your own teardrop, but not one on an airstream-like mini trailer.

I guess it doesn't have to be an "airstream" trailer, just have a similar design (i.e. the rounded edge). The tear drops are nice, and the color to the t@b seems to match the uniqueness of the element, but I really want rounded sides. Are there any other companies, vintage and/or current that made/makes airstream-looking small trailers?

Thanks again in advance!
There is a proto type out that was at some of the RV shows. Somebody here was nice enough to post pictures. It is a Airstream, it is for the most part aluminum skinned but it's a boxy shape. It is built with composite materials and is supose to be very light. It's a prototype so no idea If little lone when it would become available.

You know a LOT of folks are restoring coaches. A gutted coach looses a lot of weight. THe 59 My wife and I are restoring stock was 2700lb dry. It'sa 22ft. The interriror is in my garage right now and I bet that the shell and floor are around 1700lb with out interrior. If you found a older (the older the lighter for a Airstream) Caravelle (18ft) or Bambi with a shot interrior and were carfull about how you redid the interriror I bet you could end up with a usable coach around 1800lb. Because a Airstream is more Airodynamic and it has been proven it takes a LOT less to pull them down the road you might get away with it being a little over weight.

If you did that you would have to do away with some creature conforts like RV fridge, Heater, stove, A/C and go with portable stuff like a cooler, camp stove, you could pack in the tow rig. If carefull you could keep head, water system, bed, Goucho. Just tow with empty water tank and waste tanks.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Re: thanks all

Quote:
Does any one know if there are any plans on how to build maybe a 9ft airstream-like trailer?
Check out a couple of Bambi's and think about how big they would be at a little more than half size. 9 ft. is only the end caps and a couple of feet. The curved sides mean less volume than square corners and flat walls, windows and doors will really cut into valuable wall space. If you want to preserve the look you will need to scale all dimensions, including height and there isn't a lot of headroom fullsized if you are tall. Lay out 9 ft. by your width on a floor (make sure you radius the corners), take space out for a bed and see what else you can work in.

This is a link to a 14' Burro. It looks somewhat like an AS but is fiberglass (and too heavy). It will give you an idea what you can get in 14 ft.

John
Old 01-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Ah, I guess 9 ft is too small, maybe a 12'? The burro has a nice curvy shape that I'm looking for, now if only they made it in aluminum!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Look for an older 13' Scamp

Same general shape as the Airstream and about as light as they come. Cabinetry is fiberglass with wood doors. Older models are somewhat lighter than the current models which are 1000# without options.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

stripped airstream bubble?

I was wondering how much weight I could lose from an airstream bubble if I removed the bed and stove and ice box, and maybe replaced some of the cabintry or table tops to lighter materials. Better yet, is there any company out there that makes reproduction airstream bubbles or has plans for the shell of an airstream bubble? Maybe I could look for a gutted bubble for restoration....

My element has seats turn into beds; I would like the trailer to serve as an eating/resting place, with a toilet and a shower. I know the original bubble didn't have a shower, but would it be hard to put one in? Would it weight a lot?

Thanks again to everyone...you guys are really helpful. It says alot to me about the airstream community.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Maybe I could look for a gutted bubble for restoration....
The "Bubble" happens to be THE most sought after Airstream trailer by vintage collectors. That combined with the fact that they were only made a couple of years, so there were low production numbers to begin with, would make finding one difficult at best. Even then, it'll still be too heavy for your Honda.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #23
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Uh, pardon me....

But I think the new Airstream BASE CAMP might weigh in at less than 1500# if you're into ugly.

Rog
Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Stuck with fiberglass...

Quote:
Originally posted by elementkatonk
Ah, I guess 9 ft is too small, maybe a 12'? The burro has a nice curvy shape that I'm looking for, now if only they made it in aluminum!
The only trailers I know of that are in your weight range are the fiberglass 13 footers already mentioned. They're out there and have a huge cult following of their own. I recently acquired (in addition to our 34' Behemoth) an '87 13' Uhaul fiberglass trailer that resembles a Burro. Scamp in Minnesota and Casita in Texas are the two big names right now; however, Trillium is back in production in Canada. Boler Canada was the 'original' 13' fiberglass trailer in the '70s. There are a myriad of knock-offs that have been produced over the years. Most of the 13' trailers weigh in between 1,000 and 1,200 lbs depending on equipment.

I just returned yesterday from towing my UHaul with my '92 Toyota standard cab shortbed pickup and the 22RE 4cyl on a 600 mile round trip and got about 18mpg while doing it. It required some judicious downshifting at times, but it pulls it just fine.

I may have been young and foolish, but in '82 I had a '78 Scamp 13' that I pulled with... (you're NOT gonna believe this...) a Dodge Omni! We pulled it over the SoCal mountains dozens of times for weekend trips to Anza Borrego Desert State Park. I expect your Element would handle one OK.

Good luck finding something!

Roger
Old 01-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1948 Wee Wind

Airstream's 1948-49 baby model, the 16' Wee Wind, is about 1,200 pounds completely furnished. Hitch weight is just 80 pounds. Overall height is 8 feet, width is 7 feet, and inside headroom is 6 feet 3 inches. But with their first generation pipe frame they are not very robust. Only 6 to 8 of them are presently thought to exist, so finding one would be a challenge.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #26
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Yoo hoo

Is the Airstream Base Camp really scheduled for production or was it just a teaser? What's the weight?

Rog
Old 01-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #27
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Elementkatonk,

You've got it bad, dude! Just like the rest of us!

Can you afford a used pickup truck or other tow vehicle?

Scott
Old 01-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

I was just about to ask about the wee wind!

Dang, tho. Just when I find out there is something that looks really great, with the airstream retro and all, it has to be really rare, and so really $$$$$ bling bling. Both the wee wind and the bubble!!! Fudge cakes!

Rog-thanks for the the base camp suggestion. Yea, it does look kinda "ugly", but so did my honda element, at first. I think I'll look into this; it might grow on me as the element did. I am in the targeted age group, and I guess if I do get the base camp and I do like it, then I might just pine away until I have a chance to go after a bubble or a wee wind. I like the smallness factor.

The fiberglass trailers just don't have the same appeal; I really think they look ugly against the airstream aluminum. I'd most definately take a base camp over a fiberglass anyday of the week, and on weekends too. There's just something about the glistening of alum on a trailer.....

I hope the "tent" part of the base camp is waterproof, and not just weatherproof like the attachment to my honda element. I want to get the element's cabana tent attachment to hold me over, but I can't believe it isn't water proof, especially when they want $180-$300 for it (website vs. dealers).

Guess I'll be keeping my eye out for a wee wind; hey, it could happen! Are there any good pics of the known wee winds, floor plans, original copes of the wee wind brochure, specs?

Thanks again everyone.

Tags