Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Simcoe , Ontario
Airstream 101 - FB vs rear bed

Just started the research into AS after too many years on the ground. From a user perspective what are the pros and cons to FB and rear bedroom?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The main difference is the view from the bedroom and the living room.

The front of the trailer has the larger windows, but in many cases the view will be blocked by the tow vehicle.

Another consideration is that many campground layouts have back-to-back sites, so that the rear of the trailer looks out upon the rear of a neighboring trailer.

Finally, front bedroom floorplans usually place the door somewhat farther aft.

All things considered, I'm not sure what the big deal is, and would consider either to be perfectly fine.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Preference Prevails - I'm sure you are going to hear us all "wax poetic" as to which layout is the most superior - but your gonna slowly decide your favorite as you too will soon have your own preference

For me I have noticed over the years that my best view usually was out my back (backing up to the river, backing up to the view, not being able to move the tow vehicle) so I like to lounge around while sitting in the lounge or working at the dinette table, or eating, etc. - and look out the windows and enjoy the view.

No problems with the bedroom being up front - because when I'm in the bed my eyes usually are closed or I'm reading. Now I have heard others say that they like the bedroom in back because its quieter - I would disagree with that...

I also like having my entrance in the back - don't ask me why... I Just Do...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Every time that we have had a nice view at a campsite, it has always been at the rear of the trailer. That's why we prefer the FB's.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Its the view with the FB. John Scheck described it well.

John
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
They are both nice.

Hi, I have the rear bedroom and love it; I'm not going to build mine up or knock the others down. [Note: talking about 25'ers only]

(1.) The best view is from outside, no matter which trailer you get.

(2.) The rear bedroom comes with a stove top, oven, and micro-wave. The front bedroom gives you a stove top, and an oven or a micro-wave. [two choices]

(3.) The rear bedroom has a complete bathroom on one side. The front bedroom has the shower on one side and the sink and toilet on the other side. [separate]

(4.) The rear bedroom has you sleeping over the convertor and water heater. The front bedroom has you sleeping over the batteries and next to the propane tanks.

(5.) The rear bedroom uses the rear window for an escape hatch. From the bed, out the window, and onto or over the rear bumper. The front bedroom uses one of the front corner windows for the escape hatch and you need to remove a screen and corner rock guard.

(6.) The shower entrance on the rear bedroom is about 14"s wide. I don't know the measurement, but it looks like the separate shower on the front bedroom is larger.

Note: If I missed or got any information wrong, some one let us know what it is.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi Cameronfalls,
I have to vote for the FB having the view, but Robert makes an awesome comparison of 25 footers, and he's right...the view while outside is always better!

We have a smaller unit (23 feet) with a rear bed and front dinette. We agree that most sites have a better view when you back in, but we have found that with our smaller trailer we can get a good view from our front dinette. This is what we've been doing since most sites are big enough: We pull in straight forward, then unhitch. Drive the tow vehicle forward a bit, then back it out alongside the trailer. Then, when it's time to leave, the tow vehicle goes around to the front of the trailer again, and we back out of the site. Of course, this will only work with shorter units. Plus, it's fun to watch the expression on the fifth-wheelers faces!

(You should have seen how shocked people were when we'd pull in with our little 13 foot Boler and pick up the frame and wheel the trailer by hand until we found the perfect spot!)

Best wishes in your search and welcome to the forums.
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Yeah but..... Lisa. Don't you end up with the utilities on the wrong side?

John
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Bob, slight correction or addition,

#5. The 25' FB has one of the side windows as the emergency window. It is smaller and harder to get up to but there is no rock cover over the window. The emergency window screens of the models with the full opening windows pull out with the spline loop whether in the center or at the side.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
(1.) The best view is from outside, no matter which trailer you get.
Depends on what the little lady of the trailer is wearing...

Quote:
(2.) The rear bedroom comes with a stove top, oven, and micro-wave. The front bedroom gives you a stove top, and an oven or a micro-wave. [two choices]
My 2009 has a stove top, oven & microwave (all three) - I know some folks swap the oven for microwave\convection in the newer Flying Cloud or International models - or just have a little portable microwave unit they pull out.

Quote:
(4.) The rear bedroom has you sleeping over the convertor and water heater. The front bedroom has you sleeping over the batteries and next to the propane tanks.
Not too worried about being next to the propane tanks - don't know if I like the storage area under my bed accessible from the outside (too many Zombie movies). I don't think this storage space is accessible from the outside via the '09 and newer Flying Cloud or Internationals as it is on my Classic

Quote:
(5.) The rear bedroom uses the rear window for an escape hatch. From the bed, out the window, and onto or over the rear bumper. The front bedroom uses one of the front corner windows for the escape hatch and you need to remove a screen and corner rock guard.
If I truly was blocked by fire heading to the back door - I'm sure with some adrenaline in me I can get out my window. I do have a fire extinguisher to help put out the blaze or get me past the flames to the back exit - placing a step stool on the other side if your anxious to egress via the emergency exit can be more helpful then stepping on the front A-Frame\Hitch for those with disabilities.

Robert has many, many Great Points - but as you see for myself I have my preferences too thus both sides can be discussed and we all will have our preferences - things that we really like, things that may bother us or are just outright unacceptable (I know some folks really want the emergency exit over the A-Frame).
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
All the FB's that I have seen have the door hinged from the front side of the TT, while the others are hinged from the back.

So if the door comes open while going down the road, the wind may close the door on the FB, but will most likely at least spring the door of the other models.

I've never really understood why Airstream EVER hinged the door from the back side - it makes no sense.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
All the FB's that I have seen have the door hinged from the front side of the TT, while the others are hinged from the back.

So if the door comes open while going down the road, the wind may close the door on the FB, but will most likely at least spring the door of the other models.

I've never really understood why Airstream EVER hinged the door from the back side - it makes no sense.

That's not entirely correct. Lucy is a 2005 25FB and has a rear hinged door. I understand that the rear hinge on the early 25FB's was only on a small number of the first 25FB's produced. I actually prefer this configuration as when the door is pinned open on the front hinged door, it completely blocks off the kitchen window.

During travel we always double lock the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0021.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	99029  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
That's not entirely correct. Lucy is a 2005 25FB and has a rear hinged door.
She even has her name next to the door - nice!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post

I wondered this for the longest time and it finally became fairly clear that the door hinge configuration is a matter of where a window is close to the door.
As in MOOSETAG'S photo, if the door were mounted the other way it would not only block the window but it may shatter it if the door was slammed open. On our trailer the living area is in the front of the trailer with a large, fixed window to the door's right as you enter. The door is hinged opposite that. Deadbolt solves the worry of a flapping door, though.