Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Advantages and disadvantages

I am looking at possibly purchasing an older Airstream for my family of 4. Right now, I am looking at a '74 Argosy vs. a '73 International. Both have the sleeping space needed and seem pretty good. What are the advantage of one over the other? The International is longer, which is both good and bad in my mind. I would like some advice in choosing one over the other. Thanks
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The Argosy probably has a grey tank (a small one of maybe 15 gallons) and the '73 International probably doesn't (they began putting them in in '74 I believe). Double check that fact. Other than the body being painted on the Argosy, the issues are all the same on both trailers.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Is it safe to say that there is not a quality difference between an Airstream and an Airstream Argosy? Does it come down to a "pride in ownership" of a silver camper over the painted one? Pricing is comparable, the Argosy is a few feet shorter, but has the same amenities that I am looking for and I assume easier to tow.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Argosy will probably have a somewhat lower value than an Airstream if you sell sometime in the future. I like my Argosy's because they do not attract the same attention that the Airstream does and I can "hide" easier. Argosy's also, to a thief or intruder, seem to be somewhat less of a theft target. They are just another old painted trailer.

When I take the Argosy out, I don't get bothered by endless campground questions about it, when I take the Airstream out, it is like grand central station at times.

The quality of them is essentially equal for the era they were built. The Argosy had a few fewer amenities such as the central control panel, clock, thermometer and so on. Argosy end caps, being made of steel, are somewhat prone to rust, and have to be re painted now and then.

I doubt that one would tow much easier than the other.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Which one has less floor rot and rear end separation problems which is the end stage of floor rot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
What is the rear end separation that is mentioned, and where do you look for it. I am very new to Airstream and do not know exactly what to look for. What is the best way to find rot? Just poke around the floor with a screwdriver?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
An ice pick is good as well. Most problems occur at the rear of the trailer where the bathroom is in most trailers. You have the potential from plumbing leaks and a big potential for leaks at the bumper plate where it is sealed to the body. Over the years, the seal goes bad and water funnels in like made and rots the floor. Other places to look are at the 4 corners and to the right of the door. Don't be afraid to pull up carpet. Many of us have been fooled by floor coverings that hide a multitude of evils. When the rear end floor rot gets real bad, the body separates from the frame when the bolts rust loose that hold the body to the frame. The frame will sag especially from the weight of the holding tanks that are also in the rear of most trailers. Mid bath trailers are easier to repair since you don't have to gut the trailer to repair the floor. Most trailers the age of the ones you mention have lots of floor rot and other structural problems unless they have been kept inside. Many owners cover up floor rot with laminate flooring.

Perry
Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
So, from my research, the band that "hides" the seam of the top section to the bottom section on the outside pops a bit when there is a separation problem and the large flat "plate" between the actual bumper and the trailer is where water is frequently channelled into the trailer and under the floor.

What are the odds of being able to find an older trailer that is not rotting? Before I get my hopes too high, I need to know if I am in search of the impossible. I don't mind some work but I run my own business that does not allow for a lot of free time for rebuilding right now.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Personally I like the bath layout of the Argosy. I have one and am a big guy so the bathe layout works better for me. Also, you gotta love the panorama windows-way cool. Rear end separation-stand on the bumper and bounce up and down while someone watches where the frame goes into the shell. If a gap opens up, then you have some floor rot and rear end separation. btw-do this to BOTH sides.

Happy hunting!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin View Post
So, from my research, the band that "hides" the seam of the top section to the bottom section on the outside pops a bit when there is a separation problem and the large flat "plate" between the actual bumper and the trailer is where water is frequently channelled into the trailer and under the floor.

What are the odds of being able to find an older trailer that is not rotting? Before I get my hopes too high, I need to know if I am in search of the impossible. I don't mind some work but I run my own business that does not allow for a lot of free time for rebuilding right now.
Your concern about the rear end separation, is not easily dismissed.

Instead of an older trailer, a newer one would avoid that issue.

The old style chassis to shell attachment was simply a "C" channel. The later style is a "C" channel,but instead of being bolted to the floor, it slide over the plywood floor, and then fasten to the floor from inside the channel.

In that way, the "C" channel cannot pull away from the floor, which was the major cause of the rear end separation, along with rotten plywood.

That change took place, if I remember correctly, in 1974.

Argosy was, if you wish, a Chevy version of the Airstream.

The exterior metal had the same strength, but was different in that it would be painted, therefore it did not need a nice shiney surface.

But, other than for the front and rear top caps on the outside, an Argosy can be polished to look just the same as an Airstream. Quite a few have done that.

This is a great place to ask what ever questions you may have about Airstream or Argosy trailers, before you take the dive, so to speak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That steel plate on the newer trailers can rust completely away and delay separation for a while but the floor is still gone. It is about the same amount of work either way. Jumping on the bumper will tell you that the rear floor rot has reached its end stage and it won't tell you if the floor is rotten or the frame is rusted.

As we are finding out newer trailers are not amune to the floor rot issues. The newer trailers use OSB chip board and it does not do well with water exposure. There are trailers that are just a few years old that have floor rot from the rear bumper leak. When a seller says no leaks they mean that if you are standing inside the trailer you won't get too wet.

Perry