Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Rivet Ads on the forums...

My goal is to create a way to allow "contributing members" to hide a portion of the ads (mostly the graphical ones). My idea is to bring back a user reputation system (like Karma) and then allow members who earn good reputation points the ability to trade in their points for an interface with less banners, more storage space on AirstreamPhotos.com and access to a private "Contributing Member's Forum", plus other features yet to be determined.

In an effort to accomodate the members that use the site to research but don't contribute much (lurkers), I'd also like to offer the "contributing member" benefits in exchange for a small donation.

My theory is that those of y'all that post quite often already know where you're going to get your merchandise, etc. You're in tune with the Airstream pulse and generally know what is available and from where. Therefore the ads just get in the way. The point is to transfer knowledge, not to look at ads.

The ads are great for vendors looking for exposure to potential buyers of new Airstreams, casual Airstream enthusiast, and owners of vintage units needing goods for their restoration, etc... Which makes this model seem like it will work out great!

So I will be working towards the goals above to help steer us back to a streamlined interface designed specifically for knowledge transfer.

Your thoughts?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Andy,
I think this is a GREAT idea! It would offer incentives for lurkers to contribute and a way for the members with alot to share the ability to earn something of value. Originally, I thought from your post title, you were going to have a place for folks to post ads of their trailer for sale, a classifieds section. There might also be something to this idea as well.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Originally, I thought from your post title, you were going to have a place for folks to post ads of their trailer for sale, a classifieds section. There might also be something to this idea as well.

FF
Classifieds are in the works. As well as a new "review" section (trailer parks, campgrounds, appliances, brake controllers, etc). Plus more... so much to do, so little time...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Cool

This sounds like a great idea...Look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Thanks Andy!!

Ron
Old 07-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That seems like good ideas. I'm not sure I like the contributing members forum idea, because it would end up hiding some threads from non-contributing members, which doesn't seem right.

Personally, I get more out of this forum than any magazine subscription I have, so I'd be happy to pay some cold hard cash towards it's maintenance and upkeep. It's nice if you can keep it voluntary, so we continue to get input from those who may not use the forum as much, but still occasionally have something useful to contribute. I'm thinking of many of the older WBCCI folks who have a lot of experience, but don't spend as much time online as some of us do, and so don't visit often.

The ads don't bother me too much. I have other places I regularly visit that pop up vendor ads everytime you click on a thread. THAT'S ANNOYING!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Good Idea..........Gets my vote.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Thumbs up Kinda like frequent flyer miles

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of a separate classifieds section especially if it doesn't require membership. We all know that a good many of our "members" are folks who signed up just to post a one time ad. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I've done it myself on other sites. Problem is the once only posters become deadwood in the membership roster.
I gotta agree with Steph, the ads don't bother me either. Do what you gotta do to cover your expenses Andy, I wouldn't even mind if you found a way to turn a worthwhile profit without discouraging new membership. All you have done so far is create the best Airstream info sharing site on the web.
Thanks for a job well done.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

One nice new addition might be..........

A section for campground reviews and perhaps photos listed by state.

This may help us to decide where we might want to saty at when we take out on a new adventure.

I know I have pulled into campgrounds that are built on a hillside only to pull right out again. It's a real hassle to camp on the side of a hill.......

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Just wondering if everyone starts at zero or will you go back and retrieve the old karma from history files ?
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
...Personally, I get more out of this forum than any magazine subscription I have, so I'd be happy to pay some cold hard cash towards it's maintenance and upkeep. It's nice if you can keep it voluntary, so we continue to get input from those who may not use the forum as much, but still occasionally have something useful to contribute...
I'd like to think I contribute useful stuff to the forum, but none the less, I could easily contribute moolah to keep the website in good shape.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote