Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #181
2 Rivet Member

This is my first post here. Just joined the forum a week or so ago. Been reading everything from which generator(s) to get all the way to whether or not to tow with LP on to keep food cold in the fridge. Then I landed on this thread and couldn't stop reading until I got to the end, and the parallel one as well. I was up until 1:30 in the morning. It is now after 6:00 am and I'm awake again because of this thread. It is truly a nightmare that made it difficult to sleep. I realized I have a connection to this trailer. I've been in it while it was up for sale!!!

A little history. The DW and I are both active Canadian Forces (me Navy, as a stoker, her Army as a physician). We met when she was posted to my ship a few years back. That's another story. It has been a great career. The navy has allowed me to see a little bit of a lot of the world. However, there is a huge continent right here I haven't seen much of except a quick drive though to the next base. I retire this summer, DW next summer. I convinced DW it might be fun to look at RVs and see if it is something we might want to do. Next thing you know, we bought our TV, and dropped 10% on a '13 28' Serenity. Hope it arrives by end July.

So, as part of our shopping we stopped by Triangle RV. We live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. We walked though all the SOBs (took me awhile to decipher that acronym). The level of detail, the fit and finish of those units didn't give us a warm fuzzy feeling for spending large amount of time (and money). We stumbled on a Bambi sitting on the lot. We went inside and were immediately impressed with the interior. The exterior is sexy as hell, no brainer there. One of the sales associates approached us and mentioned it was a consignment sale. "The owners bought it back east, drove it out here and decided it wasn't for them." No mention that it had massive leaks or that the entire interior was replaced. I commented that the interior still smelled new. As I think back, it is odd that I didn't clue in to the fact that the owners used this trailer for at least a week, but never bothered to remove the plastic from the mattress?

So, after reading this thread and realizing that walking through trailer that Mojave just got rid of as the main reason we pursued purchasing an Airstream has me more than a little worried. We purchased ours through an authorized dealer in Langley, BC-(yes, ferry ride just for the weekend so we could sit in a 25' Flying Cloud they had on the lot then drop a deposit on an even bigger, more expensive trailer the next day after we got home). Did we just make a huge mistake/leap of faith committing to dropping over $100k on a TV and TT? We traded a pristine '09 BMW 335i against a '12 Toyota Tundra!! There's a culture shock, one minute driving a BMW, then after a short time signing papers, driving away in a truck. It really made it sink in that we are doing this. I hope that the Bambi is this thread is the very rare exception in the type of quality we can expect from Airstream. Ours is being built as we speak! I hope the employees only work on our trailer on Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Thursday's. I don't want a Monday or Friday trailer if some slight lapses in attention while assembling these things could result it the mess Paul & Lisa had to deal with. Please tell me that it will be fine, we will love our trailer and get many years of hassle free enjoyment out of it!

For a first post, I think I went bit overboard(no navy pun intended). I look forward to using this forum as a resource in the future. I do hope that Airstream still checks this forum to get the feedback they probably don't get from their dealers. Whether it is a dealer submitting a factual account on a warranty claim, or a customer "blowing things out of proportion" in a forum rant, the underling issue is there are problems with some of the trailers and solutions need to be found. I have quite a few shipmates that go RVing, and they are very jealous that we are getting an Airstream. I want to be able to tell them it is the best trailer they could buy, and not a waste of money. Bad news travels faster and farther than good news. The military community is a tight one, and that is a huge customer base that no retailer should want to alienate.

Paul & Lisa, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you are able to continue to enjoy this beautiful island we share. If things go well, you will see a Tundra next to an Airstream sitting near your beach, please drop by. Hopefully hearing some good stories about these trailers will put a smile back on your face.

Stephen
Old 06-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #182
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokerDoc View Post
Please tell me that it will be fine, we will love our trailer and get many years of hassle free enjoyment out of it!
Stephen, I wish I could and I'm sure everyone who posts on this thread wishes the same thing.

Mojave's situation was not typical. Why it sat on the Triangle lot so long allowed to leak is unknown to us. It almost seems like a perfect storm situation. But, many of us have had a lot of problems. And many of us have not. Even those of us who have had a lot of problems stick with Airstream and make them better than the factory wanted to.

Maybe you can make arrangements at the factory to watch it being built. I have a vague memory of someone going to JC to see their trailer while still on the floor. Maybe that would mean they'd do a better job. And it would be nice to see the insides so you know how it works.

Will it be "fine"? Hard to say.

Will you "love" it? Probably.

"Hassle free enjoyment"? There will be issues as with any RV and it helps if you educate yourself as much as possible so you can diagnose and fix things.

"Many years"? Yes.

Welcome to the Forum. I understand the anxiety after reading this thread and I'm sure you are both mature enough to work your way through this. With a doc, anti-anxiety meds are only a script away.

Gene
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #183
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the $$$$$$ club and congrats on your still to be seen UNIT.

Hope to see you at some of the many beautiful locations to park on VI.

Dave

Quote:
This is my first post here. Just joined the forum a week or so ago.
Stephen
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
[QUOTE=StokerDoc;1159085]This is my first post here. Just joined the forum a week or so ago.

Hi Stoker, wife and I were also career Navy (U.S.) Spent some time on HMCS Provider out of Victoria in joint forces operation in '70's.

Congratulations on your new trailer. The new Airstreams are extraordinary trailers in every way. Loose no sleep over the "grumble" threads, same people chime in with the same issues daily. Learn to inspect and care for your Airstream and it will last a lifetime, then pass it down to your kids.

Another Airstreamer started this thread, better way to spend your time

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1158810

doug k
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #185
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for words of encouragement. The wife laughed at the anti-anxiety meds comment. She seems much more relaxed about this venture than myself. Maybe some self-medicating is happening without my knowledge.

I've read in many threads about maintenance to the trailers being the key to long lasting enjoyment. Being a Stoker in the navy, I am very familiar with maintenance. Keeping a 43 year old steam ship operational is more than a full time job. We have two types of maintenance, Preventative maintenance and Corrective maintenance, or PM & CM for short. I guess I was hoping that purchasing a new, non-government/lowest bidder, item I might be able to get away with more enjoyment/use and less maintenance. I was hoping retirement would be just that, retirement. I guess I should keep the tools handy for a bit longer. When working with large steam plants, the rule of thumb is "If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer!" I was hoping to leave the hammer at home, too much gas money to haul the big hammer all over Canada and the US.

I look forward to interacting with many more on this forum. Maybe even meeting up with a few in our travels. Our first trip is planned for August, a 10 000 km run to Ontario and back to visit family, and introduce the kids to RVing before they become teenagers and think it isn't cool.

Stephen
Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
This is my first post here. Just joined the forum a week or so ago. Been reading everything from which generator(s) to get all the way to whether or not to tow with LP on to keep food cold in the fridge. Then I landed on this thread and couldn't stop reading until I got to the end, and the parallel one as well. I was up until 1:30 in the morning. It is now after 6:00 am and I'm awake again because of this thread. It is truly a nightmare that made it difficult to sleep. I realized I have a connection to this trailer. I've been in it while it was up for sale!!!

A little history. The DW and I are both active Canadian Forces (me Navy, as a stoker, her Army as a physician). We met when she was posted to my ship a few years back. That's another story. It has been a great career. The navy has allowed me to see a little bit of a lot of the world. However, there is a huge continent right here I haven't seen much of except a quick drive though to the next base. I retire this summer, DW next summer. I convinced DW it might be fun to look at RVs and see if it is something we might want to do. Next thing you know, we bought our TV, and dropped 10% on a '13 28' Serenity. Hope it arrives by end July.

So, as part of our shopping we stopped by Triangle RV. We live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. We walked though all the SOBs (took me awhile to decipher that acronym). The level of detail, the fit and finish of those units didn't give us a warm fuzzy feeling for spending large amount of time (and money). We stumbled on a Bambi sitting on the lot. We went inside and were immediately impressed with the interior. The exterior is sexy as hell, no brainer there. One of the sales associates approached us and mentioned it was a consignment sale. "The owners bought it back east, drove it out here and decided it wasn't for them." No mention that it had massive leaks or that the entire interior was replaced. I commented that the interior still smelled new. As I think back, it is odd that I didn't clue in to the fact that the owners used this trailer for at least a week, but never bothered to remove the plastic from the mattress?

So, after reading this thread and realizing that walking through trailer that Mojave just got rid of as the main reason we pursued purchasing an Airstream has me more than a little worried. We purchased ours through an authorized dealer in Langley, BC-(yes, ferry ride just for the weekend so we could sit in a 25' Flying Cloud they had on the lot then drop a deposit on an even bigger, more expensive trailer the next day after we got home). Did we just make a huge mistake/leap of faith committing to dropping over $100k on a TV and TT? We traded a pristine '09 BMW 335i against a '12 Toyota Tundra!! There's a culture shock, one minute driving a BMW, then after a short time signing papers, driving away in a truck. It really made it sink in that we are doing this. I hope that the Bambi is this thread is the very rare exception in the type of quality we can expect from Airstream. Ours is being built as we speak! I hope the employees only work on our trailer on Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Thursday's. I don't want a Monday or Friday trailer if some slight lapses in attention while assembling these things could result it the mess Paul & Lisa had to deal with. Please tell me that it will be fine, we will love our trailer and get many years of hassle free enjoyment out of it!

For a first post, I think I went bit overboard(no navy pun intended). I look forward to using this forum as a resource in the future. I do hope that Airstream still checks this forum to get the feedback they probably don't get from their dealers. Whether it is a dealer submitting a factual account on a warranty claim, or a customer "blowing things out of proportion" in a forum rant, the underling issue is there are problems with some of the trailers and solutions need to be found. I have quite a few shipmates that go RVing, and they are very jealous that we are getting an Airstream. I want to be able to tell them it is the best trailer they could buy, and not a waste of money. Bad news travels faster and farther than good news. The military community is a tight one, and that is a huge customer base that no retailer should want to alienate.

Paul & Lisa, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you are able to continue to enjoy this beautiful island we share. If things go well, you will see a Tundra next to an Airstream sitting near your beach, please drop by. Hopefully hearing some good stories about these trailers will put a smile back on your face.

Stephen

If I'm reading the membership numbers right there are just over 57,000 members of this forum. The vast majority will be owners - and the overwhelming majority of those owners love their trailers.

But loving your trailer doesn't mean will be free of issues .....

The downfall of a thread like this is that it scratches the surface of some underlying discontent regarding expectations that have not been fully met - and that discontent gushes out - in disproportionate fashion - and scaring folks like yourself.

The upside of a thread like this is that Airstream knows that their consumer base has expectations that are not being met - that they expect more - that they are watching - and they are waiting .....

Having said all this - it is a pretty safe bet that you will be thrilled with your trailer and it will do for you exactly what you want it to do. But I think it is also a safe bet that if you are handy and prone to giving your cherished items a regular dose of hands-on TLC then you will love it even more.

I think it is also fair to say that long-time ownership of an Airstream is kinda like nurturing a good marriage ...... for the first while it is all honeymoon ..... but it is inevitable that a few challenges will make themselves apparent that will need effort to overcome ...... but once overcome then it is terrific sailing from that point on .....

(really, really bad and really, really corny analogy I know ...... but it's the best that I can come up with before Martini time ..... anyone have a better one???)

Enjoy your trailer.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #187
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Spot-on.

Dave
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
RangerJ, Youre right. I love mine. I think I like the discussion in this forum because it brings a diverse group of people together and the threads are mostly civil and I get a chance to move some of these threads in different ways. As Gene said last night this particular thread was getting to the point where a sociologist was needed.

Stoker, welcome to the forums. I've been to Victoria many, many times. We just won a raffle for a free trip on the Victoria Clipper and a night at the Empress with HIgh Tea in the afternoon. Not exactly my cup of tea, but Michele will enjoy it.

Not only will you get good information here, you can also be entertained (especially) in gloomy winter months. by a very active group of subscribers. Sometimes the humor is juvenile, sometimes witty and sometimes very, very good. I am recently retired and last winter this was a welcome respite.

We have a 25FB Flying Cloud and we got a Tahoe to tow it with. I'm not suffering much with the Tahoe, the dashboard talks to me all the time.

To put these problems you read about in some kind of perspective I think RangerJ has the best take. There are 57,000 people on this forum. How many problems do you read about? Not 57,000. Sure people have problems and this is a good vehicle to air them. I'm sure Bob Wheeler has a minion who reads these threads regularly. Oh-Oh there goes my paycheck.

If you really look, lots of threads are informational and the information is sometimes based on opinion, sometimes on being stubborn, sometimes as a result of being defensive and with guys like REDNAX sometimes the result of honest and accurate testing. InlandAndy is generous with his time as is Andy Thompson from CanAm RV. Bob Cross always knows about the good products. If I need some technical info that I can't figure out I glean all of this information and usually get an answer. I'm to new to offer much technical advice so I usually just annoy people by challenging their opinions.

I have made friends on here that I will eventually go out of my way to really meet. For me this is the heart of the forum, the community that has been established and thrives in these pages is a real unexpected part of owning an Airstream.

Hope to see you on the road.

Dan
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #189
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Stoker, always have a hammer, but just an ordinary sized one. When cars and trucks break, most of the time it is at or near home and it is easier to deal with. When an RV breaks, it is inevitable you will either be getting ready to travel, traveling, settled in some place far from home, or coming home. This can be a major problem. For ex., the water pump may go out prematurely and you will not necessarily find one for a while. Or, turn on the fridge the day before you leave and nothing happens.

Problems with RV's are by the nature of the item harder to deal with (Mojave's leaking problems happened on their first trip). This leads to frustration. We'll never forget a trip to JC for warranty work where every day one or two things failed. My wife, whose idea the Airstream was, was about ready to sell it; for her it would have been like divorcing a loved one. We started to wonder when the wheels would fall off. The fact of things breaking on the road leads to a good set of tools, spare stuff and reading all the manuals and searching the Forum for answers.

There's a lot of "conventional wisdom" floating around. "Complainers do most of the posts" is unproven*. Some people post more than once because new threads with the same questions require the same answers. But some of the same people post repeatedly their trailers have no problems or very few. Maybe this balances out. One has started a thread (link is above) that may seem dedicated to denial. No one knows reality—how many really bad Airstreams there are, really good ones, or what. It would be better to deal with the things that have happened than criticizing people for posting whatever they post.

There is a website ( RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models ) that does RV ratings—people vote on things about their RV's. It was not a terribly large sample, but it is the only one came anywhere near close to rating RV's. and is free. Airstreams were in the middle. Thor products were in the middle or worse. If you look at all the ratings for RV's, people rate their RV's pretty high on reliability, so this may indicate people are used to low RV QC standards. A 4 star rating is about average. Airstream owners rate quality as 4 stars (out of 5), but overall value (quality in relation to price) at 3, manufacturer support 3, dealer support 3.5, maintenance costs 3.5. Road performance, interior and exterior design each get 4.5. The stars ratings seem elevated for all RV's; everyone can't be above average. They give Airstream a score of 61.8 and that seems pretty average.

Very few people rate on this website. I think in the past 2 or 3 years only 25 or 30 people have added Airstream ratings compared to what was there before. But on this website and on the Forum a recurring theme is that for the price and the advertising that this is a premium trailer, you don't get what you pay for—"overall value (quality in relation to price) at 3". People wanted to be treated fairly and if we buy an average product at an average price, we don't expect more. But paying for a premium product that is average goes against the grain.

Gene

*Trip Advisor is a very popular review site for lodging and other travel experiences. When they started the website they expected a lot of negative reviews, but it didn't work out that way. Instead the bias is toward the positive side and, like the RV ratings website I linked to, ratings tend to average above average. The "wisdom" that complainers dominate websites may be wrong and in fact, pollyannas may dominate.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #190
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Stoker, you'll do fine as long as you enjoy doing the upkeep. There's a lot of good that goes with this. The Tundra is a wonderful tow vehicle and you won't need a moisture meter to prevent floor rot in it.

I vented here, even though I enjoy the upkeep, I think the level of it is needlessly high. This is RV industry wide. I love the trailer overall, and have kept it 8 years, far longer than most of the stuff I buy (short attention span lol). I travel with it, tinker with it (just added solar panels), and visit it in the storage lot. She's my beautiful baby, but she sure is a needy child.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Did we just make a huge mistake/leap of faith committing to dropping over $100k on a TV and TT? We traded a pristine '09 BMW 335i against a '12 Toyota Tundra!!

Stephen
Welcome to the small, but growing, number of BC Airstreamers!

No, I don't think you made a huge mistake... your trailer is/will be a work of art that should give you lots of enjoyment, and that's a great rig for a tow vehicle.

As you've see though... sometimes things go wrong... Your tolerance for these things is going to depend on how much time you have to spend dealing with them and what you are capable of fixing yourself. You've got warranty to help you along, though the boat ride to Langley for warranty work is going to be pricy with <> 60 feet of truck/trailer...

There are two frustrations being vented here (maybe more)... one is that Airstream hasn't made any significant improvements in construction methods and materials... I think that is a valid point, but also a bit misleading... Having an indestructible floor is great, but the problem is dealing with leaks. My neighbour has been watching me fix my trailer the last while, and commented "Why don't you just fill it right up and use it as an aquarium".

The other is that once problems arise, finding a good RV repair tech, Airstream or otherwise, is hit and miss. At least you are near a ton of RV shops, sort of near the AS shop, and if worse comes to worse you've got a number of dealers down the west coast.

My frustration has been making an 8 hour trip (4 times) to an AS dealer, only to come home with a leak in a panel they replaced (no leaks before). Then... the double-wall construction of the AS makes locating leaks difficult... Water can travel a long way along the inner walls before popping out - usually at the bottom of the wall which is where all the bad news happens in Airstream water leaks.

You may never have any of these problems, and I'm sure there are lots of Airstreamers that go many years without worrying about these things. Living on the Wet Coast though, you will be right in the middle of the biggest leak-test facility in the world.

I guess you just need to go into the life of an RV owner knowing that sometimes they are going to be a huge pain-in-the-ass. All you can do is make as much use of it as you can, create happy memories with it, and try balance it out with good times.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Comparing Airsteam quality-control issues with school buses, boats, or those proverbial planes, trains and automobiles is a moot point; the big reason being a faulty trailer does not kill anyone (aside from the spirit, perhaps).

Does anyone here watch Mayday or Air Crash Investigation? The litany of airplanes/airliners with intial design/structural flaws or subsequent maintenance screw-ups is staggering. To quote my flying friend, "All you need is one crash to make that airplane the safest in the world." He flies one of them - the Boeing-737 which is now considered one of the most-reliable workhourses in the airlines (after killing a few hundred people and scaring the beejeezus out of a few hundred more because of a badly-designed rudder).

Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, I agree on price/quality expectations. I think the quality is a given and the only way to adress problems is through better or extended warranty service. Training may be an issue though.

My AC/HP failed within two months. I'ts hard for me to be critical of AS for this failure since they replaced it quickly and at no cost. I agree about the hammer.

The economic end of this equasion is, like Rolex(no comparison in quality) AS sells every coach they make. Rolex for it's entire history has sold every watch they make so they have no incentive to change. They up prices on an average of about 10% a year. When I turned 60 my FIL gave me a beautiful blue dial Submariner. It gains about five minutes a month. I love it, but as a time piece it's not very reliable. What is it about human nature that we make these impractical choices. I dunno. Vanity? My wife was also the driving force behind the AS purchase and I have to admit the cachet is appealing. Do I feel superior and smug when I pass a Square Box on the road?...... Of course, as much as I hate to admit that about myself I do. We all have values and are driven by whatever these values dictate. If this thing turns out to be a PITA I can always blame my wife and move on. I'm starting to become attatched to it though so I hope we have a good experience.

Dan
Old 06-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
"It is now after 6:00 am and I'm awake again because of this thread."

StokerDoc, don't worry. You live in Victoria. It's relatively dry there.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #195
2 Rivet Member

I admit, I was sitting here for quite awhile trying to compose this post. My first post where I discuss seeing Mojave's trailer at Triangle RV and the fact we just ordered one, made me feel like I could contribute to the thread. I didn't realize that I would derail the thread away from the OP's decision to leave the Airstream family. I sort of feel bad that the discussion is now more focused on trying to make me feel better rather than Paul & Lisa, the one's out $20 000 due to multiple factors. I greatly appreciate the comments by Gene, Dan, FaN and the others, I have a feeling I too will enjoy the tinkering with the trailer and the upkeep required to keep the Serenity in top shape. The DW and I discussed the fact that any warranty issues means a weekend trip to the mainland at about $400-450+ gas every time. This was factored into our decision. The in-laws are nearby, so an aluminum (not polished) lining in that cloud.

Yes, it can be quite wet here in Victoria, Vancouver Island as a whole over the winter months, but as I have told many who complain about the weather, "You don't have to shovel rain!"

Again, it is sad that Lisa & Paul didn't get the Airstream experience they hoped for. I hope we do, all 57 000 of us!

Stephen
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Don't feel bad Stoker. This thread was derailed long ago. Most are.

Dan
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #197
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Don't feel bad Stoker. This thread was derailed long ago. Most are.

Dan
Exactly. Most of these type of threads transmogrify into what's wrong/right with Airstreams. If this ones peters out, another will pop up.

I'm sure the Tundra does not quite feel like a BMW. We've got 72,000 miles on our '07, pretty much the same truck as the new ones, and you'll have enough power to pull your trailer over Mt. Everest. Running gear is very reliable, though on other things not quite as much as Toyotas were 10 or more years ago. Still, better than other brand for reliability. If you've got the same juk Goodrich tires ours came with, they won't last long—we got rid of them at 18,000 miles before a long trip and replaced them with Michelin LTX A/T2, Load Range E, and have 54,000 miles on them and more yet. They ride much smoother than the Goodrich tires. We average around 10.5-11.5 mpg and our 25' isn't that different from a 28'. We've been to Canada many times and know about gas prices there, but I don't think it'll cost that much to get to Langley. The ferry will hurt though.

When you pick up the trailer, stay there for as long as you can, looking for problems. Maybe you can stay on the lot, or a campground nearby. Test and retest everything. Then you will catch a fair number of items and get used to what you have. You will not be able to catch everything on the walk through. Airstream pays the dealer for prep and the 2 hour walk through. Ask for more time. Don't feel rushed. Write up a list of questions so you don't forget anything. Some people videotape the walk through so they can refer to it later. Make sure the dealer installs the hitch correctly too.

Download the owner's manual and study it so you can ask smarter questions: Airstream, Inc :: Manuals

Consider having 16" wheels and Michelin LTX tires installed instead of the OEM 15' wheels and Goodyear Marathons. Start reading tire threads and you'll understand why I suggested that.

If the Mojave's trailer was on consignment, and was fixed up, I wonder why they didn't keep it? A $20,000 loss is hard for most people to eat. I guess the frustration was pretty extreme.

We really liked Victoria and Vancouver Is. when we were there. Victoria is one of the nicest small cities we've been too.

Gene
Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kudos to Mojave for their "Good-bye" post. Fourteen pages of reply and counting. There's nothing quite like a dramatic exit!

StokerDoc, and a belated welcome. I bought my AS from the same Langley dealership. I am happy with the work done by their service department. I have had two minor leaks and a few other very minor things that needed tweaking (like one cupboard latch wouldn't close) but everything is ship-shape now. The last leak was due to a small crack in the radio antenna sealant which I should have caught. The FaN has been sitting outside in two cold winters encased in ice and has had to endure the consecutive wet seasons of spring. I am no longer intimidated or worried. I actually look forward to doing the maintenance as part of the AS experience and have learned a lot.

There's nothing quite like rolling down the highway with the Airstream bobbing happily along in the rear-view mirror. I hope to visit Vancouver Island one day with the FaN.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

I will email the dealer and inquire about the wheel/tire combo. With the amount we have already committed to, might be a bit difficult to justify replacing brand new wheels and tires without some compelling reasons. I will dig into the other threads about them and hopefully make the best decision for us. We started doing the "might as well" on the truck and the trailer as we were working out the deals on both. The bottom line climbs fast with that line of thinking.

Thanks for the advice. Time to go outside.

Stephen
Old 06-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

There is a website ( RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models ) that does RV ratings—people vote on things about their RV's. It was not a terribly large sample, but it is the only one came anywhere near close to rating RV's. and is free. Airstreams were in the middle.
Gene:

Very interesting; thanks for posting. If I were Airstream management I would be worried that Airstream Corp customers believe that they are getting better service from dealers than from Airstream. Also from what I hear the service from the dealers is not that good. Bob Wheeler - are you listening?

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Closed Thread