Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Thats what I mean Bob. No I did not pay, but some do. I've heard PDI at some dealers is 300.00

Dan

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Thats what I mean Bob. No I did not pay, but some do. I've heard PDI at some dealers is 300.00

Dan
Not all dealers are equal. Not all Airstreams are delivered in the same condition. Ever see an Airstream when it comes to the dealer? They are filthy, they need final adjustments (door latches?) the bedding needs to be removed from the plastic it is packaged in and made, trailer washed, batteries installed and systems checked. I am sure there is more to it than I have just listed.

As a Vespa dealer I do PDI's. You ought to see the scooters I have seen delivered by other dealers! We take about 1 1/2 hours to assemble, check and test drive a Vespa. We are fussy! We adjust, check and inspect everything we can. We charge for a PDI. Not all dealers do but you do not tend to get the best prep from those that do not (there are exceptions to that) but in general I have a saying, You may not always get what you pay for but you seldom get what you do not pay for....

We got a fair deal on our new Airstream. Certainly not the lowest price but not the highest. The dealer had the trailer spotlessly clean and detailed. We had a long careful introduction to the trailer and its systems and an introduction to all of the people we might need in the case of problems. We where handed a suggested maintenance schedule and when I informed them that I planned to do the maintenance myself I had about 10 minutes with the service manager who made sure I knew what he believed was important. He takes all of my calls and answers all of my questions. We have a great dealer!
I'm not sure about forum etiquette here but we purchased from a dealer in NJ !

We have had a few "issues" with the trailer but none have stopped us from using it at any moment. Most have been with "things" not built or assembled by Airstream itself but rather installed by them. We have no leaks, no missing parts and we have had a very good experience so far!

I have cleaned construction debris from areas of the trailer the average owner will never see. I have also corrected a number of nit picking "dumb" mistakes but I am fussy! My tank monitors work perfectly now (after replacing one bad sensor and carefully calibrating the system). The entire trailer is 100% at the moment and my job is to see that it stays that way.

I'd buy one again in a flash!

Bruce

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Living in Denver gives you lots of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Only Airstream for me. I would never consider any other brand. I guess I just didn't realize that when I fork out that big cash for a new AS, I need to keep open about how many problems we will have. Just an eye opening thread but, very informative.
You have an advantage that Mojave didn't have in that you have more service options around the Denver area. Service is something you have to plan on......either with warranty or normal wear and tear......so try to line up those folks before hand.....and there are lots of folks from your area on the forums who will give you good advice....owning an Airstream can be an extremely rewarding experience.....just know that things can and do go wrong.....good luck....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bruce, I'm sure your services are top notch. I disagree on paying for a dealer prep. Would you pay for an auto dealer to prep your new car?

When you pay 60,000 for a trailer it should be delivered spotless. You should have some instructions in how to use the various components and maintain them. Look at the owners manual you got with your last new car. I could keep a campfire going on the one I got with the Tahoe.

As I mentioned before your background and experience have prepared you for this experience in a way not many people are not. It should be part of AS's culture to make this as painless as possible.

This is the inconsistency in expectations and dealer service that AS needs to address. They need to put more effort into making sure the people who are not as informed as you get an equally good outcome.

Can you make me a good deal on an aluminum Vespa?

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I can't help but wonder if this entire fiasco could not have been prevented with a simple trip to a competent dealer for proper repairs in the first place.
1. It would have cost far less!
2. It would have been much faster.
3. You would have had a nice trailer in the end.

No one wants to be on the receiving end of a defective product but hey, life happens! Ask anyone who has had their Toyota in for recall in the past few years....Or Ford or Chevy, Mercedes.....

Lemonade from lemons might have been a trip with some camping along the way on the return home from the dealer or factory. I have no idea what it would have cost to get the trailer delivered there but I am sure it would have been less than the $20,000 spent!

This is all hindsight of course....

Bruce
Yes, but when I take my Toyota to a dealer, 15 minute away, and pick it up an hour later... it is FIXED.

6 weeks for repair, towing at my cost, poor work... doesn't compare at all to a vehicle recall...
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #104
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Where are they going wrong?
According to this video, an Airstream will make you a "happy camper", or is it just a "happy dream"?
Historical Airstream: Building Dreams is our Business - YouTube

Better to go to utube and watch it on full screen.

Dave

Quote:
I disagree on paying for a dealer prep. Would you pay for an auto dealer to prep your new car?

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Bruce, I'm sure your services are top notch. I disagree on paying for a dealer prep. Would you pay for an auto dealer to prep your new car?

When you pay 60,000 for a trailer it should be delivered spotless. You should have some instructions in how to use the various components and maintain them. Look at the owners manual you got with your last new car. I could keep a campfire going on the one I got with the Tahoe.

As I mentioned before your background and experience have prepared you for this experience in a way not many people are not. It should be part of AS's culture to make this as painless as possible.

This is the inconsistency in expectations and dealer service that AS needs to address. They need to put more effort into making sure the people who are not as informed as you get an equally good outcome.

Can you make me a good deal on an aluminum Vespa?

Dan
Dan,

As for paying for PDI remember what I said... You don't get what you don't pay for! It may not be on the invoice but you are paying for it (cars too...).

I have an owners manual with my Airstream....?????
I think it full of lots of information! I read all manuals (usually several times!)

As to dealer service and expectations, my thoughts are this. Pay a fair price and choose a great dealer! We all know who the good (great) dealers are. The dealer is the buffer between Airstream and the consumer. It is a very important relationship......

I think we need a "Great dealer reporting system" No bitching allowed just reports of extraordinary service.... Let the bad dealers be conspicuous in their absence.

When Piaggio builds an aluminum Vespa I'll ket you know!

Bruce
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
:7(

Sorry to see you leaving us.

Really enjoyed reading your posts and luved your cool combo.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
I have read each comment on this post and have to admit, it is making me a bit nervous! We are still in the "searching" stage and had no idea there are so many service issues. I am going to forge forward with my dream but, this to me is a scary thread!!!
I don't blame you. If I had read this thread before buying mine last January, I probably would have passed on it. The wolves are hungry and merciless. And good luck in finding a reliable dealer. I'm sure each one will tell you truthfully how reliable they are...not. It's just like with cars, you usually find out the hard way. But with cars, there are a lot more to choose from. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I have one point about PDI... is it ever an option??? No. So really it's part of the cost of the vehicle. It's the same as 'doc' fees... can you ever sell a new car WITHOUT a bill of sale? No. So, charging extra is just another scam.

Grocery stores inspect apples as they put them on the shelf for display... don't see PDI charged there...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bruce, why is a dealer like a buffer. Shouldn't they be more like a link? I guess the broader point I'm trying to make is of course there are good dealers and they should be recognized. I think my dealer is good. I don't understand the business relationship AS has with It's dealers. Are the agreements standard or do they vary? If standards are stipulated in the contracts why are results so uneven. How is dealer satisfaction measured by AS or THOR? What are the concequences of poor service? The whole arrangement makes no sense to me and this is where my question lies. How do you become an AS dealer? Are they franchises? Are they independent dealers who merely sell product with little or no oversight? How much discression do the dealers have? If they or an AS approved dealer fail to provide a reasonable outcome the accountability should be with them and not be held by people like Mohave. AS should cut him a check for twenty grand.

Warranty service should be defined by standards established by AS. Dealers, as agents should perform this sevice as a part of their established relationship.Whatever that may be.

I know I'm hammering on this. I'm done now.

Dan
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #110
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Bruce,

Not knowing for sure but we can guess that you purchased from one of the BEST AS dealers in the Country, a perfect illustration of how important a quality dealership is.

By the time we got our new trailer home and I completed my own PDI the selling dealer had closed. Did not bode well for the future.

FWIW...we did not pay for a PDI we didn't get.

JC will not accept the fact that they have problems that need to be addressed.
Until they do we really can't expect much progress.

There's a closed thread, that should be required reading for all, that brings that fact to the fore.

Bob

After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Im the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bruce,

Not knowing for sure but we can guess that you purchased from one of the BEST AS dealers in the Country, a perfect illustration of how important a quality dealership is.

By the time we got our new trailer home and I completed my own PDI the selling dealer had closed. Did not bode well for the future.

FWIW...we did not pay for a PDI we didn't get.

JC will not accept the fact that they have problems that need to be addressed.
Until they do we really can't expect much progress.

There's a closed thread, that should be required reading for all, that brings that fact to the fore.

Bob
Bob,
We purchased from a very "together" dealership, no doubt!
I have no suggestions for Thor/Airstream on PDI's. Vespas have multiple documents with each scooter that dictate exactly what needs to be done. The mechanic signs each one and acknowledges that the work is completed. We get training on the subject. Yet we still see lots (delivered by other dealers) that have never even been ridden! Loose head-sets, misadjusted idle speed etc.
The same dealers are the ones that offer the biggest discounts and are known for the worst service! Now, with a Vespa we are not talking about a big paycheck at the end of the sale. There is a considerable amount of financial pressure to get the things out the door. Time spent is money after all.
This goes back to my comment earlier that we all pay for PDI's. One way or another.....

You know, these trailers are complex, hand built, units produced in a way that no auto manufacturer has embraced in many many years. The result of this is the Airstream we know and love (sometimes), I am surprised and thankful it still exists. It is kind of like buying a modernized 50's Ford. I think we forget (or never knew) just how bad those cars were, at least compared to modern autos.

Understand what you are buying, choose a good dealer, negotiate a fair price and I think you will be happy.

Bruce
Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #112
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I am surprised and thankful it still exists. It is kind of like buying a modernized 50's Ford. I think we forget (or never knew) just how bad those cars were, at least compared to modern autos."

Bruce,

I resemble that remark.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	160375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01964.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	160376  

After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Im the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Closed Thread