Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #85
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Travel Bird, whats the alternative? White box trailers with eighth inch walls, wood roofs and the same rotting wood floors? Laminated fiberglass sides which may remain laminated? To me the only better quality alternative is in the smaller trailers, the fiberglass trailers such as Casita and Escape.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
Travel Bird, whats the alternative? White box trailers with eighth inch walls, wood roofs and the same rotting wood floors? Laminated fiberglass sides which may remain laminated? To me the only better quality alternative is in the smaller trailers, the fiberglass trailers such as Casita and Escape.
Only Airstream for me. I would never consider any other brand. I guess I just didn't realize that when I fork out that big cash for a new AS, I need to keep open about how many problems we will have. Just an eye opening thread but, very informative.

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #87
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My advice is really nail down the service, even before you need it. Seek out the best in your area, do it yourself, travel for it. Whatever it takes. I'm fortunate here in so. CA. there are some good places for service, plus I tend to do a lot of it myself.. Good luck.. It shouldn't be this hard but it is what it is..
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Anna,
Remember this is the internet.....
Lots of attention to negatives. Keep your eyes open, choose your dealer wisely, maintain the trailer and you will be fine. If you have problems your good dealer will help you through the issues.
Bruce
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Anna, are you looking for new or somewhat new or vintage?

For new, check out the trailers in Denver and Colorado Springs dealers, then consider buying elsewhere. Warranty work can be done in JC and when we took the trailer there, we incorporated that trip into a trip to the east coast or another north.

For not so new, you can check out new ones as above, and have a better idea of what you'll want. You'll save a lot on depreciation for trailers more than 3 or 4 years old, and if you look hard and pounce quick, you may get a very good deal.

Vintage means going to rallies (check them out on the Forum) and look over all the variety of trailers and people will tell you what they had to go through to fix them up. then you will have a better idea what to look for, what to expect, and what you want.

If you want new and want to buy in Colorado, the Colo. Springs dealer (if they are still open) does not have much of any reputation either way, although when we looked there the salesman told us lies and then disappeared. So did we, maybe, in retrospect, a bad decision.

If you keep reading here you will find things to scare you. You will also find that many of us are frustrated with QC and bad dealers, but wouldn't get rid our trailers despite all the problems we have had. Because of the iconic design and history, we are disappointed that Thor has not taken seriously its stewardship.

Gene
Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The Casitas and Escapes make me a little claustrophobic. Small windows, narrow, low ceilings...... I'm sure they have their problems too with Qc and service. At least AS has been around for a long time. Remember EarthBound.

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"We have owned our trailer since August of 2010. The dealer had to fix 12 things during the first two weeks we owned it. Since then it has had to go back to the factory three times. This latest time they have had it since May 31st and still have not repaired it. We've had over 50 problems with it to include replacing the AC unit, both axles, the floor and now both walls. We would not recommend this trailer manufacturer to anyone."

Airstream?
>
>
>

Nope.
Earthbound.

BTW, love the idea of a live-action meet at JC between Bob Wheeler, Crawford Gene, danlehosky, and Bruce B. I'd clear my calendar for that one!

But I get first dibs on the beer and popcorn stand. I'll make enough for my post-warranty repair bills, apparently.

"The Clash of the Titans" Trailer - YouTube
Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Anna, are you looking for new or somewhat new or vintage?

For new, check out the trailers in Denver and Colorado Springs dealers, then consider buying elsewhere. Warranty work can be done in JC and when we took the trailer there, we incorporated that trip into a trip to the east coast or another north.

For not so new, you can check out new ones as above, and have a better idea of what you'll want. You'll save a lot on depreciation for trailers more than 3 or 4 years old, and if you look hard and pounce quick, you may get a very good deal.

Vintage means going to rallies (check them out on the Forum) and look over all the variety of trailers and people will tell you what they had to go through to fix them up. then you will have a better idea what to look for, what to expect, and what you want.

If you want new and want to buy in Colorado, the Colo. Springs dealer (if they are still open) does not have much of any reputation either way, although when we looked there the salesman told us lies and then disappeared. So did we, maybe, in retrospect, a bad decision.

If you keep reading here you will find things to scare you. You will also find that many of us are frustrated with QC and bad dealers, but wouldn't get rid our trailers despite all the problems we have had. Because of the iconic design and history, we are disappointed that Thor has not taken seriously its stewardship.

Gene
Gene, not planning on purchasing in CO at this point but, do want to know that we don't have to drive thousands of mile for service. We are hoping to buy new. No time for headaches for an older unit. I have heard that Nolan RV is good for repair??? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks all!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
1,, do not believe all you read on the forums,,2',,many who post negative do it repetitively,3'm still remember AS has some problems but most owners do not even know the forums exist.4',,almost all the AS owners I have met are happy and satisfied and I have owned 4 of them. Jim
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Fly, I want 10%.
When I talk about the relationship between AS and authorized dealers the one thing that comes to mind is the PDI. Some dealers charge for this service, some don't. This, is an example of where AS drops the ball. Why is a procedure as important as this not policy driven from the manufacturer. This is an example of where the factory could control an outcome and an opportunity to educate a new customer in maintenance and other care. Are there any policies from AS regarding this? Is there a consistent checklist. Are the people who perform the PDI properly trained? Are Lot Jockeys assigned this task if the dealership is busy? Who knows?

These and other issues are what AS needs to control. When we turned over a new building to the owners we did a commissioning This insures the staff will understand how the building functions, how to maintain the systems and who to call for service. We took this very seriously and only senior staff could perform this function. Does AS control the procedure of the PDI? If some dealers charge and some don't, I think not. This should be a clearly defined part of the buying and service iniatiation process.

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #95
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I baught my second Airstream last December and beside a few hick-ups which were gladly fixed by the dealer, my experience has been extremely good used them in snow, rain never any leak or any problem with either of the unit. There are always exceptions one should contact the right folks at Airstream.
Good luck in your next purchase
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I like the idea of buying one used, way out of warranty, but in good condition, for 10% the price of new. Read these boards and know what you're looking at.

It is truly tragic the messes that some of these people are in.

If you are not capable of doing heavy maintenance on an RV, then you are going to pay (often through the nose) to have it done. That difference alone (if you can wrench on your own vs. if you can not) may make buying an RV a bad choice. Perhaps this sounds a bit harsh, but it is pretty much a self evident truth.

Roof leaks due to seams is nothing more than using some Kool Seal to fix. A $20 gallon jug and a $4 paint brush and you're good to go. But if you don't know to do this, then it can leak and leak and leak and rot out the floor structure. Not cool!

I view RV's much like I view boats; that is, unless you've got a bag of cash that you're itching to get rid of, it's almost never a good idea to buy a new one. Most RV's get used once or twice a year. You can buy one a couple years old for half what it cost new, and let the other person take the depreciation. Just know what you're looking at when you go to buy it.

There are so many excellent posts on this forum alone that a person who would take a month to just read up would know all they'd need to know to buy a good used unit.

I do feel sorry for those who have bought a new one and gotten yanked around. That is really sad. I wish you all the best in whatever route you go.

If you have decent mechanical abilities, I say get an older one but a solid one and go to town. If you don't, then I'd look for a solid 3-5 year old unit, have somebody who is good mechanically inspect it for you, and make friends with a good RV mechanic.

There's nothing terribly difficult about working on an RV. There are several really good books on the subject. For the most part, the silver trailers are better than the stick frame ones, by a lot. But you still can get taken to the cleaners if you don't know what you're looking at and don't know how to maintain one yourself.

I'm rambling here....but it really is a travesty that brand new mega dollar trailers have this many issues.

I bought my '87 34' Avion for a good price. I have had very few problems with it. I have about $14K total now in it and it's got brand new everything (water heater, a/c, three roof vents, toilet, kitchen faucet, DWV plumbing, six tires). If you want a long Airstream, get an '85 or newer with the thicker frame. If you want a shorter one, get whatever year you like. Look at Avion in the mid 80's. They had large living room windows, a super stout frame that will never fail, real hardwood cabinets, and good furnishings. The older Avions were built wonderfully, but have smaller windows and are darker inside. I really like the mid 60's Airstream 26 footers. My grandpa has had several and never had a major problem with any of them. Bottom line is that you need to know how to work on it yourself. If you do, then they are cheap and easy to maintain. But if you have to pay someone else to work on it, they can be giant holes in the driveway that you throw money into.

I wish you all the best of luck!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
[I].....BTW, love the idea of a live-action meet at JC between Bob Wheeler, Crawford Gene, danlehosky, and Bruce B. I'd clear my calendar for that one!

But I get first dibs on the beer and popcorn stand. I'll make enough for my post-warranty repair bills, apparently.

"The Clash of the Titans" Trailer - YouTube
First of all I am a very happy drunk! No argument from me after a beer or two!
But seriously, one of the things I like about this forum is the ability to have a discussion like this and not have it deteriorate into a pile of garbage. I understand that mine are not the only ideas. Nor do I know what others have been through unless we express the thoughts and experiences somehow. This is a good example of a forum's potential for expression.

Bruce
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #98
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Fly, I want 10%.
When I talk about the relationship between AS and authorized dealers the one thing that comes to mind is the PDI. Some dealers charge for this service, some don't. This, is an example of where AS drops the ball. Why is a procedure as important as this not policy driven from the manufacturer. This is an example of where the factory could control an outcome and an opportunity to educate a new customer in maintenance and other care. Are there any policies from AS regarding this? Is there a consistent checklist. Are the people who perform the PDI properly trained? Are Lot Jockeys assigned this task if the dealership is busy? Who knows?

These and other issues are what AS needs to control. When we turned over a new building to the owners we did a commissioning This insures the staff will understand how the building functions, how to maintain the systems and who to call for service. We took this very seriously and only senior staff could perform this function. Does AS control the procedure of the PDI? If some dealers charge and some don't, I think not. This should be a clearly defined part of the buying and service iniatiation process.

Dan
Dan,

PDI...you have to be joaking,

This is Airstreams version of a Pre-delivery inspection.

If your dealer charged for this your due an apology, and a few $$$$.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Build Sheet 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	160355  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Closed Thread