Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #393
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I regret to say I will be saying goodbye also. It wasn't due to the quality of the Airstream, its just that it ran its course.

It often isn't easy to latch on to the perfect RV, if one exists, for the desired usage pattern. I bought the Airstream with the idea of long vacations after retirement. Retirement came, and my mother fell ill to chronic medical conditions which prevent the kind of travel I anticipated. I'm also a single traveler and like forest camping. The long, wide rig was sometimes a bit unwieldy in the type of area I like.

So I bought a new Lazy Daze 24' Class C, the front lounge model. Yes it has wood in the construction. But it should be easy to whip into smaller campsites. It should be good for those times I can just turn the key and go somewhere for a night. It has a painted aluminum skin. The construction quality is sturdy. There were other C units I was intrigued with, especially Born Free. In fact that was my preferred choice. But Lazy Daze factory is local to me, and my experience with RVs is, as you know, that service is IMPORTANT. When I visited, I found they were doing repair and maintenance on older rigs. I find that invaluable to have quality service available.

One thing when you're moving on, you do see there is a lot of good in the Airstream. I don't have time in this post but off the top of my head I can think of ten things the Airstream really got right, as opposed to the premium class C I bought. I'll always remember pulling my shiny silver beauty.

I'll pop in from time to time, enjoyed participating here. This is the nicest forum I belong to. Enjoy your Airstream trailers. In most cases, it isn't the trailer that's the limiting factor, its how you use it. Use it and enjoy

Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
tpi, sorry to see you go and understandable why you are. There are some nice Class C's and I'm sure you found one.

Gene

Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #395
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Hey I can come back here and fuss about the roof plastic on the new one too. It has the same Dometic Penguin (fragile shroud) , this one with the problematic heat pump thermostat. I'm reading the owners manual, a nice recommendation to check the roof plastics yearly for cracking. So I'll feel right at home

One thing nice the owners book covers all the third party appliances. Its well written, very current, and has good tips on how to operate them.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #396
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
If person has a situation with their unit, TRAILER LIFE AND HIGHWAY (GOOD SAM) magazines have a department that will assist in the correction of the situation. They have negotiated corrections with manufactures and dealers. One has to be civil with their complaint. Could the forum start such a department? Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #397
2 Rivet Member

Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
...Earthbound was reorganizing and focusing only on high end custom coaches.... They had design problems that they were trying to work through but it didn't look good. ... Last I heard they were scrambling for money and had lost their dealer network. ...There was a similiar coach being built by a company called Evergreen. Has anyone heard anything about them. Dan
Wow, this thread exploded since the last time I checked in!
To digress a bit and contribute my part to the thread's swerve off-point, I was in the local Airstream dealer in Oregon (Sutton RV) last week to look through new trailers and I asked about seeing one of the Earthbounds. (They were on their website up until a short while ago.) They said they had quit carrying them due to the large number of "issues" with the trailers.

The did carry Evergreen. We walked through a couple of them but there is really no comparison: Airstream = light and airy. Evergreen = dark and claustrophobic. 'Why almost no windows', I asked. The answer was that Evergreen feels that windows compromise structural integrity.

Sorry, Evergreen, you've missed an important point: A lack of windows in the Northwest where we need all the light we can get, is NOT a good thing; structural integrity aside...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
our Airstream Dealer also dropped Earthbound. The first one they sold came back, traded in on a new Airstream.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Sorry, Evergreen, you've missed an important point: A lack of windows in the Northwest where we need all the light we can get, is NOT a good thing; structural integrity aside...
Airstream is the claustrophobic's trailer of choice. "Structural integrity" means little - in the midst of a full-blown panic attack.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
tpi, enjoy the new moho. Makes a lot of sense given the situation. I could see us owning a Class B when/if the effort of hitching and towing wears thin...

Tom
Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #401
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
We have all given Mojave our sympathy, but will he ever be happy? I doubt it. He has already said that he has purchased a $400 tent and if he has trouble with it, he will return it. He was given options for repair on the AS, but he chose to do it his way.
I had a SOB that was a "lemon", but after 1 1/2 years i traded it. It went so far that the national sales manager said "if I thought I had problems, try legal action" Fleetwood went under on travel trailers shortly after that.
It will be 3 years in August since I got my Airstream. The only problems I have had were not AS related. It must not have been built on a Monday, Friday or start of a holiday.
I think 7 months of dealing with issues and still finding more upon further inspection after the fact fully entitles me to say I gave it my best shot. You waited 1 1/2 years to sell your lemon, I chose to cut my losses and move on when I did. Dealing with a long-term law suit would only prolong the obvious - I was sold a lemon, no one at AS wanted to admit it and unfortunately life is too short to be unhappy.

For all of you who have offered your kind words of support and advice since I've been here - thank you. Once again, I need to move on...as awesome as most of you have been, the unnecessary negative criticism and judging from a few without standing a day in my shoes also needs to end for me.

I'm signing off from the forums. For anyone who'd still like to stay in contact you can do so at Buffalo Road | Travel Stories
I wish you all happy trails! Peace and respect to each of your individual journeys.

Lisa

“How would your life be different if you stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day you look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” -Steve Maraboli Life, the Truth, and Being Free
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #402
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
May the sun follow you in your venture thru life. You have left your mark here that has left many questions unanswered. Thanks for dropping in.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
I think 7 months of dealing with issues and still finding more upon further inspection after the fact fully entitles me to say I gave it my best shot. You waited 1 1/2 years to sell your lemon, I chose to cut my losses and move on when I did. Dealing with a long-term law suit would only prolong the obvious - I was sold a lemon, no one at AS wanted to admit it and unfortunately life is too short to be unhappy.

For all of you who have offered your kind words of support and advice since I've been here - thank you. Once again, I need to move on...as awesome as most of you have been, the unnecessary negative criticism and judging from a few without standing a day in my shoes also needs to end for me.

I'm signing off from the forums. For anyone who'd still like to stay in contact you can do so at Buffalo Road | Travel Stories
I wish you all happy trails! Peace and respect to each of your individual journeys.

Lisa

“How would your life be different if you stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day you look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” -Steve Maraboli Life, the Truth, and Being Free
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You've enriched the Forum in your brief stay. If we get back to Tofino, I'll be looking for you both.

Gene
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Paul and Lisa, your experience and subsequent treatment energized this thread and this Forum in a powerful manner. I still hope AS sees the almost 400 posts and comes to the conclusion that you should get some relief. Even if for no other reason than the goodwill it will generate for them. I hope you feel the strong support that came your way from the majority of posters to this thread. I wish you much happiness.

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #405
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Godspeed....if the "Buffalo Road" ever leads to Buffalo stop by and say high.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Mohave,
I think you lit a fire. I hope we can find a way to use the light in a productive way. I intend to continue the effort to organize buyers and pressure the comany.